Old 17 June 2018, 09:03   #1

Length: 7m +
safety line?

I know the general opinion for wearing a tether/safety line on a Rib is generally no, I wonder if it would be a good idea in certain situations?
For instance I fish from my Humber around Portland and Weymouth and sometimes when over the Shambles or around the Portland race it can get a bit hairy when drift fishing as you often end up drifting side on to waves and swell. I often think maybe I should wear a tether to prevent falling overboard with such low sided craft like a rib. Slipping over the side is a real possibility and maybe being attached on a short line would be a good idea? I am usually on my own when fishing so no help from crew available.
Old 17 June 2018, 11:05   #2

Town: Sidmouth
Boat name: Various
Make: Avon, Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 40, Honda 50
If you're not under power, not going to capsize, not going to get the line tangled up in anything and it's short enough to keep you in the boat rather than half in, half out... that sounds a sensible idea to me, particularly if you're alone.
Old 17 June 2018, 12:32   #3

Boat name: Hornet
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: O/B 90hp
Wearing a tether

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixpete View Post
I know the general opinion for wearing a tether/safety line on a Rib is generally no, I wonder if it would be a good idea in certain situations?
For instance I fish from my Humber around Portland and Weymouth and sometimes when over the Shambles or around the Portland race it can get a bit hairy when drift fishing as you often end up drifting side on to waves and swell. I often think maybe I should wear a tether to prevent falling overboard with such low sided craft like a rib. Slipping over the side is a real possibility and maybe being attached on a short line would be a good idea? I am usually on my own when fishing so no help from crew available.
I personally would not wear a tether, even under the circumstances described. if the boat were to flip you could be in danger of getting snagged under water. I would, however wear a PLB on my life jacket, especially if fishing alone.
Old 17 June 2018, 18:24   #4

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
I personally would not wear a tether, even under the circumstances described. if the boat were to flip you could be in danger of getting snagged under water. I would, however wear a PLB on my life jacket, especially if fishing alone.
Hmmm.

No figures to hand, but I'd guess a lot more folk have ended up in the water though falling overboard from a Rib than ended there from a capsized one.

No harm in the PLB but undoubtedly better not to end up in the water in the first place

Think I'm with James on this one
Old 17 June 2018, 19:04   #5

Thanks for your thoughts. I do have a plb on me at all times and I would make sure any leash would be short enough to keep me totally in the boat, more likely to just slip and fall over in the boat hopefully and not fall out but I don,t really want to be drifting off with no chance of catching the boat before it drifted away.
May get one just for when it,s a bit rough.
Old 17 June 2018, 20:45   #6

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
One of the difficulties may be finding somewhere secure to attach it to that doesn't make the tether long enough to leave you dangling half in half out of the water. Whilst you wouldn't go anywhere, it may make a self rescue difficult.

You could tether on to a seat back, console rail or A-frame but they would need to be secure enough that in the event of you falling they wouldn't follow you over the side.

Would having a longer line and a 'fail-safe' method of getting back on board be a compromise approach. the tether could then be anchored at deck level or on to a deck mounted jack line. You can get elasticated safety lines which are about 2m long which would be long enough to give you some manoeuvrability to get to your boarding ladder.
Old 17 June 2018, 21:22   #7

I could clip to a seat back frame, these are pretty strong, staying inboard is a priority I think. Getting back on board in a rough sea would be problematic.
Old 17 June 2018, 21:45   #8

Boat name: Bluefin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
I am very often out fishing alone and I clip to a tether when drifting and at anchor ............ never under power. I also always have a PLB in the lifejacket pocket and a DSC portable radio clipped to the LJ.

My tethers are a short length of 12mm 3 strand nylon with quick release carabineers spliced on each end. I usually clip to either the front lifting eye, or the rear towing eye. With a decent tether rope you can use upper body strength to haul yourself to a position where you can re-enter the boat, which would usually be a climb up the outboard or ladder.

I usually always clip up when dropping the anchor as that is when you are most likely to go over the side
Old 18 June 2018, 07:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsguru View Post
I am very often out fishing alone and I clip to a tether when drifting and at anchor ............ never under power. I also always have a PLB in the lifejacket pocket and a DSC portable radio clipped to the LJ.

My tethers are a short length of 12mm 3 strand nylon with quick release carabineers spliced on each end. I usually clip to either the front lifting eye, or the rear towing eye. With a decent tether rope you can use upper body strength to haul yourself to a position where you can re-enter the boat, which would usually be a climb up the outboard or ladder.

I usually always clip up when dropping the anchor as that is when you are most likely to go over the side
Does your life jacket have a harness? or do you clip to something else?
Old 18 June 2018, 08:22   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Anything you can do to limit the boat sitting side on to waves? Eg. Deploy a drogue?

If I was going to be tethered to a small boat, alone, I’d want some sort of escape mechanism to hand - line cutter, or harness as used in kayak rescue work- so that I could escape even under tension.
Old 18 June 2018, 09:41   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixpete View Post
Does your life jacket have a harness? or do you clip to something else?

Yes, I clip to the LJ Harness using the quick release carabinner............

As well as PLB & Radio, there is also a rope cutting knife attached to the LJ. The tether is long enough not to cause and issue in the event of a capsize, which should never happen to an experienced helm ..... you just wouldnt put you or the boat in that position

Solo WAFI's usually clip on, although they clip to a safety line that runs from bow to stern ........... I just see it as a mechanism that might (just might) help me if poo hits the fan .............
Old 18 June 2018, 10:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Anything you can do to limit the boat sitting side on to waves? Eg. Deploy a drogue?

When drift fishing at sea a drogue can be a complete PITA, because you often have to re-deploy as wind and tide changes ...........

Generally, turning the outboard to either full port or starboard will have the effect of putting the drift at 45 degrees to the swell which makes for a more comforable drift. If the drift is greater than 1knt of so, then dropping the pin is the way to go, as most self respecting fish will not chase a bait along the bottom at speeds of over 1 or 2 knts.

Yakkers have a very bad habit of dropping the anchor with just enough warp to 'drag anchor' to slow a drift .......... this practise is mighty dangerous on any vessel and should not be encouraged !

Also, fishing is all about having a decent day and being comfortable to enjoy the surroundings ..... not to be tossed around like a cork for the sake of a few fish ! ...... knowing when its time to go home is important !
Old 18 June 2018, 10:41   #13

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsguru View Post

Also, fishing is all about having a decent day and being comfortable to enjoy the surroundings ..... not to be tossed around like a cork for the sake of a few fish ! ...... knowing when its time to go home is important !

Amen to that, Brother🤢🤢
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 20:32   #14

Definitely know when to call it a day the Portland race can be going at 7knots or more, the bass don,t seem to mind though.