Old 02 January 2008, 23:31   #51

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
RNLI spare props sit on a bolt through the transom. From experience, if you're changing a prop at sea, make sure you have your tools on lanyards - dropping the spanner in the oggin when you have just removed the prop and then can't fit the new one is not a good place to be!

I have pretty poor experience of foil blankets - OK for after the London Marathon, but they conduct heat away when they're wet, and they shred quickly in any wind. An allover plastic TPA is much better

Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2008, 05:22   #52

Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Length: 6m +
Engine: Not here yet
Happy new Year

Happy new year to everybody. I hope you all have some great fun on the water. I have a feeling 2008 is going to be a great one (for me anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
I'd mount the paddles to the inside of the tubes with straps-again so you can get to them in a hurry.
In a dive boat oars get ripped off the tubes very quickly what with divers scrambbling in over the tubes all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes
fitting stuff into a round shape isn't always easy and not the best use of space.
I can see your point. I'll try and find some square ones or a bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
A mirror is a good thing to carry but there is an excellent substitute - a nice shiny CD - it even has a hole in the middle to help you aim!!!
Is it still useful even when you have a torch and a flash light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSkills
RNLI spare props sit on a bolt through the transom. From experience, if you're changing a prop at sea, make sure you have your tools on lanyards - dropping the spanner in the oggin when you have just removed the prop and then can't fit the new one is not a good place to be!

I have pretty poor experience of foil blankets - OK for after the London Marathon, but they conduct heat away when they're wet, and they shred quickly in any wind. An allover plastic TPA is much better
More good advice. This forum is a mine of information. But what is a TPA ? An anorak ?

Old 03 January 2008, 12:57   #53

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
A mirror is handy for signalling distress in bright sunshine - a torch doesn't work too well then!!!

You will really attract attention from a rescue aircraft if you flash the sun in their eyes...............
Old 04 January 2008, 04:23   #54

Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Length: 6m +
Engine: Not here yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
A mirror is handy for signalling distress in bright sunshine - a torch doesn't work too well then!!!

You will really attract attention from a rescue aircraft if you flash the sun in their eyes...............
Sorry, i'm a bit thick sometimes. I didn't realise it was for use in daylight. Doh. OK, mirror re-added to the list. Thanks for the patient explications.