Old 10 August 2013, 13:36   #1

Town: Dublin
Length: no boat
RYA - Vs - ISA certificates

Hi all,

I currently hold an RYA powerboat level 2 cert and I'm planning to complete my advanced powerboating certificat shortly but the instructor I will be completing it with is ISA registered. This won't make any difference will it?

Pete
Old 10 August 2013, 14:32   #2

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR_Pete View Post
Hi all,

I currently hold an RYA powerboat level 2 cert and I'm planning to complete my advanced powerboating certificat shortly but the instructor I will be completing it with is ISA registered.
Is the Advanced Powerboat course ISA or RYA endorsed?

Only the Principal of a RYA Recognised Training Centre can issue a RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate or they can empower a RYA Advanced Powerboat Instructor which they has nominated as their Powerboat Chief Instructor to do so on their behalf.

Quote:
This won't make any difference will it?
So yes it makes a big difference if you are looking for a RYA Adavanced Powerboat Certificate.
Old 10 August 2013, 14:33   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Hi all,

I currently hold an RYA powerboat level 2 cert and I'm planning to complete my advanced powerboating certificat shortly but the instructor I will be completing it with is ISA registered. This won't make any difference will it?

Pete
ISA have told me that they can "transfer" RYA certs to the ISA "equivalent" for a fee. I'd give them a call IIWY - they're OK to talk to.
Old 10 August 2013, 14:57   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
Is the Advanced Powerboat course ISA or RYA endorsed?

Only the Principal of a RYA Recognised Training Centre can issue a RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate or they can empower a RYA Advanced Powerboat Instructor which they has nominated as their Powerboat Chief Instructor to do so on their behalf.

So yes it makes a big difference if you are looking for a RYA Adavanced Powerboat Certificate.
Who issues it doesn't make a difference to me as I take it they are similar if not the same course, the only thing I'm worried about is will the RYA level 2 be recognised by the ISA instructor so I will be eligible for the advanced training in that school..

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
ISA have told me that they can "transfer" RYA certs to the ISA "equivalent" for a fee. I'd give them a call IIWY - they're OK to talk to.
It's actually a friend of my uncles we will be doing this course with but he's on holidays now and I'm on holidays after that, so I will more than likely get the answer when I'm back, was just looking to see if anyone would know here in case I did have to transfer it over etc.. Thanks willk..!
Old 10 August 2013, 15:05   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
so I will more than likely get the answer when I'm back, was just looking to see if anyone would know here in case I did have to transfer it over etc.. Thanks willk..!
Sorry, I meant call the ISA, ultimately, it's their call.

IMO, if you only intend to use the qualification in Ireland, the ISA is fine. Not so much if you want to use it elsewhere or obtain further qualifications.
Old 10 August 2013, 15:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Sorry, I meant call the ISA, ultimately, it's their call.

IMO, if you only intend to use the qualification in Ireland, the ISA is fine. Not so much if you want to use it elsewhere or obtain further qualifications.
Would the ISA qualification not be as widely recognised as the RYA one..??
That would probably explain why the powerboat school in dun laoghaire issued RYA Certs..
What would be classed as a higher qualification your ICC or your advanced powerboat certificate..??
Old 10 August 2013, 15:56   #7

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:

(BTW there an over 2,200 RYA recognised training centres in more than 44 countries)
Old 13 August 2013, 16:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post

(BTW there an over 2,200 RYA recognised training centres in more than 44 countries)
WOW... I would have thought each country would have had their own training centers affiliated to there local associations..

Would the advanced PB certificate be ranked above the ICC or vise versa?
Old 13 August 2013, 20:32   #9

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Quote:

Would the advanced PB certificate be ranked above the ICC or vise versa?
The ICC is Powerboat Level 2 standard and incorporates many of the practical elements of the PB2 syllabus.

The advanced course is based around longer passages at night.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2013, 22:45   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Engine: 200 HP
Quote:
Hi all,

An ISA centre wil issue an ISA cert, a RYA centre will issue an RYA cert.

Quote:
Who issues it doesn't make a difference to me as I take it they are similar if not the same course, the only thing I'm worried about is will the RYA level 2 be recognised by the ISA instructor so I will be eligible for the advanced training in that school..
Yes it will be

Quote:
No it would not

Quote:
What would be classed as a higher qualification your ICC or your advanced powerboat certificate..??
Well the Advanced Powerboat is a higher level qualification however it depend what you are using it for. The ICC is written into law in many overseas countries, the Advanced Powerboat is not.

Quote:
WOW... I would have thought each country would have had their own training centers affiliated to there local associations..
In many cases they do. Many of the overseas RYA centres are catering for Brits abroad. However the RYA qualifications are undoubtedly the most internationally recognised and very popular in the yacht industry globally.
Old 14 August 2013, 09:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
An ISA centre wil issue an ISA cert, a RYA centre will issue an RYA cert.

Yes it will be

No it would not

Well the Advanced Powerboat is a higher level qualification however it depend what you are using it for. The ICC is written into law in many overseas countries, the Advanced Powerboat is not.

In many cases they do. Many of the overseas RYA centres are catering for Brits abroad. However the RYA qualifications are undoubtedly the most internationally recognised and very popular in the yacht industry globally.
And just like that all my questions are answered. Ha Thanks Doug. now to sit down and plan my courses for the winter.