Old 11 March 2013, 16:46   #1

Town: yeovil
Boat name: Lilly of lyme
Make: XS
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Yamaha
rya training

I have been ribbing for 4 years, 2 years ago my son and I took and thoroughly enjoyed the rya power boat level 2 course

I intend to get a bigger boat and fancy doing another course.

I would like to improve my navigation skills, and boating skills, question is do i do the intermediate course, advanced or a completely different course
(I have first aid and vhf licence)

what do we think?
Old 11 March 2013, 16:56   #2

Town: Douglas
Length: no boat
Depending on the experience you have gained since your Level 2 course will determine whether you have sufficient skills for the Advanced course. If you don't want a night qualification just go for the Intermediate and focus on the navigation.
The other option if you are keen to go directly to the Advanced course is to go to your favourite training establishment for an assessment prior to deciding on which course to go for.
Old 11 March 2013, 17:15   #3

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Though not linked to more experience...have a go at the seas survival course...huge fun and gives lots of confidence.

Or dare I say..read up and do some nav practice (theory and practical) and book an advanced course....I'm basing this on seeing you out on the boat.

Do it down this way and I can practice with you. :-)
Old 11 March 2013, 18:48   #4

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
day skipper theory, 6 days in a classroom well spent! you will learn loads!
Old 11 March 2013, 19:14   #5

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by xs 400 View Post
I would like to improve my navigation skills, and boating skills, question is do i do the intermediate course, advanced or a completely different course
(I have first aid and vhf licence)

what do we think?
I think that gaining more training will give you greater enjoyment in what you do currently and give you more confidence to expand your horizons which is the main reason I have a RIB.

The assumed knowledge for the RYA Intermediate Powerboat course is Candidates should be competent to the standard of Level 2 with coastal endorsement. t is recommended that attendees acquire a First Aid certificate and VHF operators certificate.

You therefore meet this but I would strongly recommend you do the Essential Navigation and Seamanship shorebased course before hand - you can even do it online. This will make the practical a lot more meaningful and enjoyable.

The assumed knowledge for the RYA Advanced Powerboat course is
Candidates should be competent to the standard of the Intermediate Powerboat course with a thorough knowledge of navigation and chartwork to the level of Day Skipper Shorebased certificate to be soon changed to Coastal Skipper

Therefore the next step should be the Intermediate - too many people make the mistake in going straight to the Advanced - if you aren't confident and confident in navigating during day light - don't think about trying to navigate in the dark.

Good luck
Old 11 March 2013, 20:05   #6
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
If there's anywhere local that offers Coastal skipper/Yachtmaster theory evening classes then that's a good way to go. I'd suggest evening classes rather than an intensive course as it allows time for everything to sink in properly.
Old 11 March 2013, 23:22   #7
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
If there's anywhere local that offers Coastal skipper/Yachtmaster theory evening classes then that's a good way to go. I'd suggest evening classes rather than an intensive course as it allows time for everything to sink in properly.
yes - good advice ...there is a lot to take in - I have reached a deal with navathome and now can offer their online courses for both day skipper & yacht master £285 each

if interested let me know

regards

Scott
Old 12 March 2013, 07:54   #8

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Intermediate would be my advice and you will get alot out of it .
The online courses Nav at Home being one of the best are very good,I use them as well.It's modular so quite easy to folllow and all your answers are sent to your schools nominated Instructor as well as you getting the answers straight away and also the correct answer .
Alot of schools use Nav at Home so it comes down to who the Instructor is and there own knowledge and how quick they respond , also any additional help they can send you .

Same as choices of Powerboat Schools with the new rules and regs coming there will be less choice as to who can run the intermediate and Advanced courses most of us, have been using coded or local authority licensed ribs that will have better seating bigger ribs and probably better equipped with Electronics and safety kit.
Tim
Old 15 March 2013, 00:21   #9

Town: Orpington and Lymington
Boat name: Charrnah
Make: 6.5m Ribeye
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinghouse View Post
day skipper theory, 6 days in a classroom well spent! you will learn loads!
I'm just finishing this course lots of very useful and interesting info learnt as part of it
Old 15 March 2013, 08:24   #10

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner-paul View Post
I'm just finishing this course lots of very useful and interesting info learnt as part of it
i remember that all the way through the course, everybody in the room had an input - telling stories/sharing experiences, that was up until we got to meteorology - nobody in the room had a clue about it and i think those people still dont have a clue!
Old 16 March 2013, 07:00   #11

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Engine: 200 HP
I think Ribochet's comment are very valid.

If you are going for a considerably bigger boat, may be worth looking at Own Boat Tuition, not only will this be boat specific but it will allow the Instructor to focus the course 100% on where you want to go.

As already mentioned the Sea Survival and SRC courses are interesting too.
Old 16 March 2013, 09:24   #12

Town: yeovil
Boat name: Lilly of lyme
Make: XS
Engine: 30hp Yamaha
Thanks again for all the great advice! , I agree Doug stormforce on it being dependent on the size. I would like to do the next course on the next boat.

I have a 4m boat which has been great 1st boat, but will need something bigger with 3 or 4 jockey seats.

my next boat will need to be 5m to 6m.
Old 16 March 2013, 10:02   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
As already mentioned the Sea Survival and SRC courses are interesting too.
You honestly think the SRC (VHF) course is "interesting"? The most interesting thing about it was wondering who at Offcom / RYA / MCA had come up with the syllabus, delivery method and "exam" format and believes its an effective learning.

Oh and discovering that my complexion should be described as fair not pale!

Obviously individual instructors vary in quality, but any course which relies principally on the charisma of the instructor to get you through it is not "interesting". Its probably not the least interesting day of my life, but it could be in my top 20!
Old 16 March 2013, 16:31   #14

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
You honestly think the SRC (VHF) course is "interesting"?
NO??? Then you went to the wrong place. Any day in a classroom can be boring but I cant think of many src courses when we have not had a good laugh, a course victim (usually me), met new friends and told tall tales of sea adventures. All whilst doing the learning thing. The quality of the instructor is what makes the centre-otherwise we would all be clones and there would be no point in choosing one centre over another.
Old 16 March 2013, 18:30   #15

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
You honestly think the SRC (VHF) course is "interesting"? The most interesting thing about it was wondering who at Offcom / RYA / MCA had come up with the syllabus, delivery method and "exam" format and believes its an effective learning.
First to get a GMDSS Short Range Certificate in the ROI under the ISA - a student has to enrol on a two day course so therefore the RYA have been doing us a great favour all along in getting agreement to run their SRC course in only one day.

Second it is the European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications Administrations (CEPT) that sets the SRC regulations

Finally as of 2014 the SRC course will then be a minimum of 10 hours long with a clear separation between the training and examination to meet CEPT requirements - never wish for what you might get
Old 16 March 2013, 19:07   #16
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
NO??? Then you went to the wrong place.
quite probably; but the instructor wasn't that* bad - and he genuinely seemed interested in what he was talking about - although I'd guess he doesn't actually use a DSC radio very often. I don't doubt that if the RYA had been mystery shopping that day he'd have got a good mark. I obviously have no way of selecting my 'class mates' in advance and that may be a factor.
Quote:
Any day in a classroom can be boring but I cant think of many src courses when we have not had a good laugh, a course victim (usually me), met new friends and told tall tales of sea adventures.
does that mean that the SRC course is "interesting" or just that if you put enough people with some vague common interest in a room with a charismatic facilitator for a fixed period of time that you can find it enjoyable?
Quote:
All whilst doing the learning thing. The quality of the instructor is what makes the centre-otherwise we would all be clones and there would be no point in choosing one centre over another.
Yes but I'm not talking about the instruction - I take it for granted that there are good centres and bad centres, and some will be good at one thing and not at another. However I remain to be convinced that the SRC course is worth the time and effort.

IF THE SRC COURSE WAS NOT MANDATORY FOR VHF USERS:

(1) Do you think you would still get large numbers of participants?

(2) Do you think you could design a better course that didn't have prescriptive content / format that would actually better equip your students for using a radio on a boat.

* I recently attended a workshop run by some people from HMRC which has redefined my expectations at how bad the delivery can be!
Old 16 March 2013, 19:17   #17
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
First to get a GMDSS Short Range Certificate in the ROI under the ISA - a student has to enrol on a two day course so therefore the RYA have been doing us a great favour all along in getting agreement to run their SRC course in only one day.
Sounds like RYA logic to me. Perhaps the Irish are learning something we are not (although I accept they may not be learning anything else useful or interesting)?
Quote:
Finally as of 2014 the SRC course will then be a minimum of 10 hours long with a clear separation between the training and examination to meet CEPT requirements - never wish for what you might get
Well that's certainly not what I was wishing for BUT the exam was a joke, and I think if the aim is to improve understanding and communications then that makes sense. However if the aim was to get more people to do the training and reach a basic level of competence then shortening the course might have been better.
Old 17 March 2013, 08:39   #18

Town: arran
Boat name: 3 boats
Make: 3 boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: all
As far as I'm led to believe there will be an option to do the training online then the assessment at a RTC or the whole thing at the centre with, as has already been said a clear difference between training and assessment. One of the clear differences will be one person training and another assessing. The RYA very much has its hands tied by CEPT as to what they must do, similar to the new requirement for inter and adv powerboat courses, not so much the RYA doing it as the MCA.