Old 08 February 2002, 21:57   #1

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
RYA Power Boat Level 2

Think its about time I should take my level 2, after i'v kept putting it off again and again.

Can any one reccomend some where in North Wales or Midlands? What kind of price should I be paying? Can I do it in my RIB?

I'v been looking at Plas Menai...... Any Comments.......

Anyone else fancy doing??? Group Discounts etc.....

Cheers

Jono
Old 08 February 2002, 22:25   #2

Town: Shaftesbury
Make: currently boatless (formerly Tornado)
Length: 5.4
Engine: Mariner 40
You might find it worthwhile to take a look at Paul Glatzel's website www.powerboat-training.co.uk It appears to have good advice on choosing courses and if I recall, some links with schools in the general areas you are asking about.

It has a fun quiz too!
Old 09 February 2002, 07:38   #3

Town: Poole
Length: 6m +
Janho

In choosing a school I would consider the following:

N. Wales Vs Midlands: The key thing here is that you appear to be considering both an Inland level 2 course and a level 2 with a Coastal endorsement. The RYA has only just started to make it clear in advertising that the qualifications awarded by coastal schools are different to those awarded to students attending an inland course. If you do any boating whatsoever on the sea then you should attend a coastal school.

Type of school: My opinion is that there are two types of school: Small powerboat schools running perhaps a boat or two where the school is run by someone for whom powerboating is a passion. This contrasts with schools such as activity centres where powerboating is offered in addition to a plethora of sailing qualifications. I would say the key is who's instructing you. At both types of school you will find excellent Instructors who really know their stuff re powerboating, however when I did my level2 an at 'activity centre' the guy who taught me was totally into sailing but was teaching me because it was his job. In short whilst I gained the qualification I gained no more by way of real advice/experience.

Price: Activity centres & some schools will charge as little as £120 sometimes. I would budget to pay though c£180 - 225 as with many things in life you get what you pay for. You won't really get a block discount as the ratio is 1 instructor to three pupils and few schools would run a course (profitably) with less than three so the prices are pitched accordingly

I would suggest the following 'assessment' tips:

- Ask for brochures etc to be sent: Assess the reaction time & quality of what you get. The brochures will be pretty indicative of the quality of the course material you get & use
- Speak to the Instuctors - do they know their stuff, will they give you that bit more, are they passionate about their subject - it will make a huge difference over the two days

You can get a list of schools by calling the RYA on 023 8062 7400 and asking them to send you "RYA Power Centres 2002" brochure. Please feel free to email me direct with any questions - good luck!

Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2002, 07:51   #4

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
Hi Jahno

I have been looking for a Level II course for my other half - who has agreed that she need the trainng. I am probably going to do the course with her - for morale support - and as a refresher.

The Plas Menai site was one I considered, as we get a discount through or local sailing club. However, when I contacted them they seemed a little vague about their course - especially over the coastal endorsement. This may just reflect the knowledge of th person I spoke to, but I must admit it has put me off a little.

I think we have decided that a school on the south coast will offer us a better deal, as they seem generally to be more professionally geared up for tidal / coastal work, and indeed for RIBs in general. The cost is a little more - about £20 per person generally - but as has already been said, you tend to get what you pay for.

Many of the schools we have contacted have offered to do 'package deals' for a group - which would mean we coud pick our own times - and it would be good to do the course with people who we 'know' - even if only from Rib.Net - at least they are like minded and are operating the same type of craft.

If you feel like going ahead and trying to book a course with group discount we would be very interested. We would like to do our course as early in he season as possible so that she gets the most out of the boat this year.

Look forward to your thoughts.
Old 09 February 2002, 10:38   #5

Town: Upavon, Wiltshire
Boat name: Dromedary
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.55
Engine: Honda 130
Hi All

I did my advanced course at Calshot Activities centre on the Solent and can say that it was extreemly well done and even though I have been RIBing since Noah was a lad it showed me some new things and tested me to the limits. The instructor was very well gened up and they can sometimes link up with the RNLI/CG with an exesise and you will get to take part which is very good exeprence if he worst should happen. I think they have a web site at www.hampshire.gov. hope it all goes well and you will enjoy it.

John
Old 09 February 2002, 10:55   #6

Town: Northants
I did the Advanced course almost 2 yrs ago with the RAF. My experience over the last 12 months however (without a boat!!)has been limited to say the least. If anyone's looking to arrange a course and numbers help the price, I wouldn't mind doing a similar level course/or simply gaining further experience in heavier weather under instruction.

Chris
Old 09 February 2002, 11:35   #7

Paul seems to know his subject - and I note he is a Powerboat Instructor.

Any chance you could run a course for us?
Old 09 February 2002, 12:55   #8

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Whilst i agree with paul about small schools with instructors passionate about powerboating and not just dinghy sailors who happen to also have a powerboat instructors ticket I must take issue on a couple of points
1- a glossy brochure might indicate a professional marketing approach but in my experience it does not guarantee a good course - (and I inspect schools for the RYA so I see the good the very good and the others). and remember the client ultimately pays for the brochure
2 - I am a power trainer teaching all levels of rya powerboating right up to and including advanced instructor for my school and others. We offer discounts to as low as the £120 paul mentions but that certainly does not mean a reduction in quality! . Upping my prices will not improve my courses which are amongst the best around . The family are all involved and are passionate about powerboats and the sea. As I sit here there are my family's three pagers on the desk - 2x rnli and 1 x coastguard - if we were in it for the money we certainly would not have them! We teach powerboating cos we love it, we meet some really nice people and as long as it pays for the boats well thats fine - and the taxman's bill is less too. -
Old 09 February 2002, 18:04   #9

Town: Poole
Dave (Wavelength)

You're absolutely right in the points you make. Certainly a glossy brochure certainly shouldn't be taken as indicating an excellent school nor a sheet of B&W A4 a poor one. They can give a feeling though and then it is down to a verbal assessment. Personally I don't go for glossy brochures as you're right they just cost a fortune, I prefer an informative well written pack of A4 sheets. I had a good example recently in that I myself wanted to do a really heavy weather course some way beyond Advanced and contacted a 'well known' school. Eight weeks later and two chase calls later I received a scrap of paper for the wrong course - suffice to say i'm still looking!

You're also right re the cost. The prices I quote are based on my area Poole/Solent - perhaps a better saying would be - you tend to get what you pay for but sometimes you get a bargin! - if you charge £120 then its certainly a bargin and i'm glad my school is nowhere near yours!

Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2002, 13:17   #10

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: Puffling
Make: Avon Rover 3.4m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 15hp
Send a message via MSN to badbaws
I did level 1&2 and safetyboat courses for £80 in total at the West Solent Powerboat school. It was about 5 years ago and I know it's down south but it is quite a saving on an activity centre at the time it would have cost me £350...
I don't have teir number with me but will post it tomorrow.
It was a good course in a two year old 5.6metre Avon Dive... and was very good quality so it proves sometimes you get more than what you pay for.
Alex
Old 11 February 2002, 13:31   #11

Alex

Do you have any details of this place - phone number, e-mail or anything?
Old 11 February 2002, 19:29   #12

Town: Pembrokeshire
Boat name: MATUKA
Make: Lencraft
Length: 5.5m
Engine: Mariner 60 4s Efi
I ahve experience of Plas Menai, all be it a few years ago, indeed I taight a Level II there as a follow up to my Instructor Qualification 6 years ago.
The TIDAL waters of Menai will put you in good stead for future activity, especially if there is a Spring Tide running.
As the National watersports Centre for Wales their staff should be up to scratch, yes the office staff can be a bit vague but the on water staff have always been very good.
If you still want to have a look at othercenters, all well and good, I am sure that they offer good teaching, I note and can agree with some of the comments about dinghy/powerboat instructors, but thier overall awareness should be an advantage....note should.
Whereever you go, be sure to buy a copy of Peter White's excellent book called Powerboating.
It is due to be updated due to the emergency stop being taken out of the syllabus, and a few other matters.
What ever you do, make sure you feed back to the school of your choice how you felt they handled you.
I always seek feedback.......AFTER handing out the certificates if deserved.
Have fun, get wet and stay dry!
Dave
Old 12 February 2002, 07:54   #13
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
The second edition is completely updated, and it's available now!

You can buy it from Amazon at a 20% discount

John
Old 12 February 2002, 18:24   #14

Dave (wavelength)

When can you get 4 of us in for Level 2 and 2 in for for 1st Aid (poss linked together if poss).

You can contact me @: jgarton@mcnaughton-paper.com

Regards

Jono
Old 22 February 2002, 21:56   #15

Just to say thanks to everyone for your comments.

Me, GraemeCooper and four others have booked with Dave Mallet (Wavelength), Cheers Dave!!!

Jono
Old 23 February 2002, 06:14   #16

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat

Hi there

My Phd daughter Karen telephoned last night. Not only are the University providing her with drysuit and other wet weather gear, they are also sending her on a level 2 powerboat course so she can use their own RIB when she needs to!!! I wish I wuz klever loike er.

Cheers

Keith Hart
Old 23 February 2002, 06:25   #17

Mey two..... Keth
Old 24 February 2002, 19:24   #18
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Me, GraemeCooper and four others have booked with Dave Mallet (Wavelength), Cheers Dave!!!
Dave, looks like that's a beer you owe to RIBnet

John
Old 24 February 2002, 20:29   #19

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
absolutely - but i've had to drink it cos it was going flat
dave (mines a pint)mallett
Old 04 March 2002, 19:55   #20

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Engine: Several
Hi there ,

You can also do a Level 2 here in Ireland for less than STG £125 at our new Dublin Bay base at Malahide.

The price drops to £110 per person for groups of three .

RYA recognise ISA ( Irish Sailing Association ) Certs as equivalent to RYA Level 2 .....and you get a weekend in Dublin !

Best wishes ,

Stuart
www.powerboat.org
Stuart McNamara
National Powerboat Trainer
ISA
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote