Old 13 January 2013, 18:55   #1

Town: Dartmouth
Length: 10m +
RYA operating categories

This could be a stupid question...

Under the RYA operating categories

A day skipper (theory & practical) can operate up to 20NM from DP in daylight in favarible weather.

An APB CoC can operate 20NM from a DP at day or night and in poor weather.

If some one had both qualifications could they take a yacht out at night in poor weather?
Old 13 January 2013, 19:11   #2

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Unless your yacht was classed as a Powerboat, I'm guessing no. But knowing the complexity of the reg's, it might well be, maybe ......

Steve
Old 13 January 2013, 19:21   #3

I appreciate that is is easier to pilot a PB in rough weather at that range, nd if it was that bad Ian yacht I would flash up the engine nd motor back.
Old 13 January 2013, 19:31   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgrnmcm View Post
This could be a stupid question...

Under the RYA operating categories

A day skipper (theory & practical) can operate up to 20NM from DP in daylight in favarible weather.

An APB CoC can operate 20NM from a DP at day or night and in poor weather.

If some one had both qualifications could they take a yacht out at night in poor weather?
I'm assuming you mean operating commercially?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2013, 19:51   #5

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Start point- we're only talking commercial operations here.In the rather absurd absence of any definition of "commercial", we can only say that if it isn't leisure, it's commercial.

So if you're working in a situation that isn't purely leisure, then both the boat and crew need to comply with the regulations. The boat has to be coded to the appropriate level, depending on where it is working, how far it needs to go either from a Nominated Departure Point (ie you go back to where you started from) or a Safe Haven. The skipper and crew also need appropriate qualifications for the boat and the area

It is the minimum qualification that determines what is allowed. For example, a skipper with a high level qualification can only go as far as the boat is coded for. A boat that may be coded to go around the world can only be taken as far as the skipper's qualification will allow

(As a point to note, Adv PB is 20 miles from Safe Haven, not from NDP)
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2013, 20:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSkills View Post
Start point- we're only talking commercial operations here.In the rather absurd absence of any definition of "commercial", we can only say that if it isn't leisure, it's commercial.

So if you're working in a situation that isn't purely leisure, then both the boat and crew need to comply with the regulations. The boat has to be coded to the appropriate level, depending on where it is working, how far it needs to go either from a Nominated Departure Point (ie you go back to where you started from) or a Safe Haven. The skipper and crew also need appropriate qualifications for the boat and the area

It is the minimum qualification that determines what is allowed. For example, a skipper with a high level qualification can only go as far as the boat is coded for. A boat that may be coded to go around the world can only be taken as far as the skipper's qualification will allow

(As a point to note, Adv PB is 20 miles from Safe Haven, not from NDP)

That makes sense.

So a NDP is where you sailed from and you must return there? Where as a safe haven is any where?
Old 13 January 2013, 21:07   #7

Town: Poole
Length: 6m +
Hi dsgrnmcm

The simple answer to your question is no.

I think when you are referring to Dayskipper Practical & Theory you are referring to being commercially endorsed using these qualifications. The implication is that you have (or are thinking of) these for sail. (Although you could have passed the practical on a powered craft so use it for powered vessels (not yachts)).

As you state commercially endorsing these qualifications (assuming you have at least 12 months relevant experience) will allow you to operate commercially on a craft coded to ‘Cat 5’ which is “Up to 20M from a Nominated Departure Point in fine weather & daylight”.

The NDP is detailed in the vessels coding documentation and unless I’m mistaken you cannot vary it without varying the coding for your vessel. Given you operate in Dartmouth your NDP would be at the mouth of the Dart at the point at which you move from catergorised waters (the inland bit) to the sea.

A 'safe haven' is defined by the skipper.

The Advanced Powerboat CoC only relates to power.

You cannot mix and match elements from each.

These documents refer (although I suspect you have what you need anyway):

http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollection...ion%20Form.pdf

http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollection...ed%20table.pdf

Feel free to throw me additional questions if I have misunderstood

Regards, Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2013, 21:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Glatzel View Post
Hi dsgrnmcm

The simple answer to your question is no.

I think when you are referring to Dayskipper Practical & Theory you are referring to being commercially endorsed using these qualifications. The implication is that you have (or are thinking of) these for sail. (Although you could have passed the practical on a powered craft so use it for powered vessels (not yachts)).

As you state commercially endorsing these qualifications (assuming you have at least 12 months relevant experience) will allow you to operate commercially on a craft coded to ‘Cat 5’ which is “Up to 20M from a Nominated Departure Point in fine weather & daylight”.

The NDP is detailed in the vessels coding documentation and unless I’m mistaken you cannot vary it without varying the coding for your vessel. Given you operate in Dartmouth your NDP would be at the mouth of the Dart at the point at which you move from catergorised waters (the inland bit) to the sea.

A 'safe haven' is defined by the skipper.

The Advanced Powerboat CoC only relates to power.

You cannot mix and match elements from each.

These documents refer (although I suspect you have what you need anyway):

http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollection...ion%20Form.pdf

http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollection...ed%20table.pdf

Feel free to throw me additional questions if I have misunderstood

Regards, Paul
Cheers paul, that's spot on.