Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 11 July 2012, 11:06   #1
SR4

Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50hp
RYA Membership, is it worth it?

My RYA membership has lapsed, I only realised when I went to renew my wife's and my ICC, they want £40 for each ICC to renew, or get them both free if I join at £65 for the year, seems a no brainer to join and get them free, but I guess my membership lapsed as I made no use of it.

So, what have you had out of your RYA membership and after getting the ICC free did you ever renew it. I have looked at their site and it is the same old nonsense, discount of this and that which you would get anyway, seems more for sailors than motor boaters, I'm not into funding big organisations that live very nicely off others when there is no other option, but happy to be convinced otherwise
Old 11 July 2012, 12:20   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR4 View Post
So, what have you had out of your RYA membership and after getting the ICC free did you ever renew it.
Nothing. No.
Old 11 July 2012, 12:55   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
Nothing. No.
I pay my RYA subs just as I pay my RNLI membership, I hope I never have to call on either. The RYA fought hard against the removal of the red diesel derogation for pleasure boaters & won a partial victory. They are also fighting the imposition of light dues on leisure boaters. They represented us in the marine conservation areas debates. If it wasn't for the RYA we would have no representation at all. They helped me personally when I had problems with the French authorities in the early days of taking my RIB to France, they assured me of my rights & obligations & gave me the confidence to stand my ground against stroppy gun toting Gendarmes. IMHO they are worth the money, which is more than I can say for most boating bling.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2012, 13:08   #4
SR4

Interesting to see your side of things however personally I find membership a total waste of space, but then I guess it keeps some women off the streets by creating pointless bureaucratic jobs, as for the red diesel, well that was cocked up. Oh and what about the red diesel going up a few percent and decimation of the industry, well fuel has gone up nearly 4 x the price since then and although I do see a change in boating patterns life still goes on.

I will get my ICC and ditch membership next year, £40 for a bit of paper x 2 that 'I must have' and have no other choice who I get it from, they are pi*s takers, nice new offices and salaries though Not much different to PADI nonsense marketing

I am sure there are loads that like ringing the women up to pay for more bits of pointless paper then if that tickles your fancy and you feel it is worth a fiver a month, then I see nothing wrong, lot's of people get turned on by lots of different things, try wearing a wet suit next time you call them, or even your blazer with RYA badge and RYS tie
Old 11 July 2012, 13:24   #5

Town: West Bromwich
Boat name: Ellie V
Make: Excel Voyager 520
Engine: Evinrude 75 HP
MMSI: 235 908 287
I had my ICC for nowt !!

That's not strictly true is it, £40.00 RYA joining fee, is it worth it, probably not !!
Old 11 July 2012, 13:46   #6
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by steco1958 View Post
£40.00 RYA joining fee, !!
Try giving them a ring.

I've just renewed for £20.

Some sort of 'Olympic' deal I was told.
Old 11 July 2012, 13:49   #7
SR4

Its £40 EACH for an ICC so for 2 = £80, so cheaper than a years £64 RYA membership with free ICC, so if you like, pay for one get one free and free RYA membership for a year. But as the membership is a total waste of money then I have to agree with you, only a 25% saving
Old 11 July 2012, 14:03   #8
SR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM View Post
Try giving them a ring.

I've just renewed for £20.

Some sort of 'Olympic' deal I was told.
Yeh right! spoke to a housewife there earlier today and asked what offers they had on, I remember getting a discount years ago when I did a course, she said there were none. As for the Olympics, don't even get me started on that, I am a London rate payer and have been paying for this scam for years, I want nothing to do with that sh*t at all, in fact I am leaving the country to get away from it for a month!
Old 11 July 2012, 14:52   #9

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Opti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave

I pay my RYA subs just as I pay my RNLI membership, I hope I never have to call on either. The RYA fought hard against the removal of the red diesel derogation for pleasure boaters & won a partial victory. They are also fighting the imposition of light dues on leisure boaters. They represented us in the marine conservation areas debates. If it wasn't for the RYA we would have no representation at all. They helped me personally when I had problems with the French authorities in the early days of taking my RIB to France, they assured me of my rights & obligations & gave me the confidence to stand my ground against stroppy gun toting Gendarmes. IMHO they are worth the money, which is more than I can say for most boating bling.
They are our only representation and as an instructor my union as well... They work a huge amount with MCA to see that the UK pleasure boating industry can aurvive alongside our commercial marine heritage. Yachties with overpriced courses maybe, but there isnt an alternative and without them i think wed have as much marine freedom as the french...

Upon exiting the boat please check the bilge for your valuables...
Josh_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2012, 15:51   #10
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_P View Post
Yachties with overpriced courses maybe

Firstly, I aint a yachtie, and secondly, our courses aren't overpriced.

Quote:
Yeh right!
I've just checked with the RYA and, apparently, the offer is only open to people with an IQ above 10.
Old 11 July 2012, 16:10   #11
SR4

Tough luck then, got my discount thanks

As for your courses not being expensive, are you an instructor? seems that some of those punting the courses could be instructors though nobody would know, would be good to see in a profile who has 'other interests'

I am not saying you are just doing your best to keep the gravy train running, just interested
Old 11 July 2012, 16:18   #12

RIBase
Quote:
Interesting to see your side of things however personally I find membership a total waste of space, but then I guess it keeps some women off the streets by creating pointless bureaucratic jobs, as for the red diesel, well that was cocked up. Oh and what about the red diesel going up a few percent and decimation of the industry, well fuel has gone up nearly 4 x the price since then and although I do see a change in boating patterns life still goes on.

I will get my ICC and ditch membership next year, £40 for a bit of paper x 2 that 'I must have' and have no other choice who I get it from, they are pi*s takers, nice new offices and salaries though Not much different to PADI nonsense marketing

I am sure there are loads that like ringing the women up to pay for more bits of pointless paper then if that tickles your fancy and you feel it is worth a fiver a month, then I see nothing wrong, lot's of people get turned on by lots of different things, try wearing a wet suit next time you call them, or even your blazer with RYA badge and RYS tie
I like the use of the members lounge at the boat shows, that's a nice touch.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 11 July 2012, 16:21   #13
SR4

What with the other 20,000 members? I prefer the Guinness bar with real men talking about near misses and how you fancy your mate who isn't there's misses

Better than legislation section this, subsection that and the new Association tat for sale
Old 11 July 2012, 16:53   #14

RIBase
The members discount on RYA publications can save a few quid as well.
Old 11 July 2012, 17:20   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
SR4 - I'm quite happy to see a debate here about whether RYA membership offers value for money or not, it is a question which comes up here every year or so - the fact that I am not a member would imply that I think its not worth it for my current type of boating, although if I was buying/selling or travelling overseas where there legal departments might be useful then I might have a different view. Personally I'd like to have seen some sort of discount on RYA Courses, materials, club membership etc through their affiliated schools/clubs. However market forces suggest that since they are as big as they are then lots of people are happy to cough up each year.

What I'm not so keen to see on here is your pointless sexist remarks.
Old 11 July 2012, 18:11   #16

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
They are our only representation and as an instructor my union as well... They work a huge amount with MCA to see that the UK pleasure boating industry can aurvive alongside our commercial marine heritage.

Well that should get you invited to the top table at the next instructors conference but I don't see much evidence of it in the commercial marine sector I work in. Can you give me a couple of examples please leave out PPR

Quote:
Yachties with overpriced courses maybe, but there isnt an alternative and without them i think wed have as much marine freedom as the french...
Or the Germans these are some of the Incredible demands these Eurocrats make on the boaters that they govern

MOT's for trailers..........Outrageous

Not being allowed to drive a powerboat whilst wasted..............Disgusting!

Need to pass an exam in Boating and Radio to get on the water....Piffle

Don't get me wrong I'm not a big fan of the cheese eating surrender monkeys but I see no wrong in those kind of demands or a restriction of my freedom. (I know what your thinking does he mean the french or the RYA?) but I think membership of the RYA is a waste of time for a powerboater
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2012, 18:14   #17
SR4

What is sexist about my remarks, its a free country isn't it or do we all have to pretend all is hunky dory?
Old 11 July 2012, 19:24   #18

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Quote:
.......£40 for a bit of paper x 2 that 'I must have' and have no other choice who I get it from, they are pi*s takers........
Now now, don't let the facts get in the way of your rant, there are plenty of alternatives

1/. BWSW ICC (restricted to power 10m) will cost you a year's BWS membership (£72) and then a certification fee (further £25). Total £97 fees to the issuing body.

2/. BSAC ICC (restricted to power up to 10m and coastal only)will cost you £35 but only after you have passed a Diver Cox'n assessment (£46 certification) for which you will have to become a member (£64) Total £145 fees to the issuing body.

3/. IYT ICC $75 US, plus shipping.

It is fair to say that that taking an assessmnet or course with a centre recognised by one of the above three organisations is likly to cost you more than taking an assessment or course through an RYA centre.

There are of course other options.

4/. You could train and certify through the host country that you are hoping to vists. This will costs you hundreds if not thousands of pounds, will take considerable time and may involve you having to speak their language in order to take their test.

5/. You could train and qualify as an STCW Master. This would typically cost upward of £10K, while much of the training would not seem particularly relevant to driving small leisure craft it would certify you to drive leisure craft in most foreign countries.

So perhaps

Quote:
.......£40 for a bit of paper x 2 that 'I must have' and have no other choice who I get it from, they are pi*s takers........
and Yes I am an RYA member, have been for years and enjoy the benefit of their work daily.

should have read something more like

Quote:
....£40 for an internationally recognised certificate that is very attainable is an absolute bargain compared with the various alternatives. Long live the RYA for making boating more straightforward for UK boaters.
Old 11 July 2012, 19:30   #19
SR4

Interesting but I am over 10mtrs, the other options look rather expensive, they must have even better new offices and huge pension schemes

Anyway they are sending me the forms to join an renew my ICC, just need a new photo I want to see how much I can save in the years membership on discounts, any good ideas? (I don't need any more books!)
Old 11 July 2012, 19:48   #20
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
What is sexist about my remarks, its a free country isn't it or do we all have to pretend all is hunky dory?
Oh absolutely it's a free country. However, RIBnet is a Virtual Empire ruled by a small coterie of Dictators (they work shifts). They employ Flying Monkeys like Poly & I to do their evil bidding. Be aware that there is neither Trial by Jury here nor Court of Appeal*, so if Poly says you're being sexist, you are...

* The RIBnet Court is different - hilariously different.