Old 10 March 2013, 14:10   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
RYA literature

I have just received my annual renewal info and with it came a fold out RYA Membership "It's all about YOU and the boating YOU DO" brochure

A couple of areas I saw,
on the folded out section they show a youngster in a yellow shirt competing in the RIB championship the RYA run and you can jsut see an adult aboard. That image clearly shows no visible lifejacket yet every other image on the brochure does including yachties and dinghy sailors. Surely this is the one image that should show a lifejacket in use? a high performance RIB going at speed around a buoy with a young helm?

On the back page, I have no idea how but I am pictured helming a 785? Thank you nice image, should not complain
Old 10 March 2013, 14:14   #2
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
the yellow shirt is over the BA.

S.
Old 10 March 2013, 14:17   #3
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post

S.
Ok so BA , being pedantic I would have thought an auto lifejacket should be worn by youngsters throwing a rib around a course?
Old 10 March 2013, 15:00   #4
SPR

During the competition they are safety boat(s) on standby, so do you really need full Lifejackets - any body will be recovered under a few minutes.

It's all about the correct kit for situation, I have seen the Risk Assessments about 20 pages!

The over yellow shirt is to give sponsors maximum publicity - considering they donate boats and engines as prizes not too bad compromise!

Scottish Regional Finial - Sunday 9th June - strathclyde park

S.
Old 10 March 2013, 15:32   #5
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Its the Youth Rib Championships which we entered last year and came third in the end.

I have to say its a very safe event and there are loads of ribs around. The skipper and the adult both have kill cords so the boat can be stopped at any time.

You can just see the extra killcord socket on top of the console.

Fingers crossed for this year!!

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hondarya030.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	77491   Click image for larger version

Name:	hondarya029.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	77492   Click image for larger version

Name:	hondarya025.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	77493   Click image for larger version

Name:	hondarya027.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	77494  
Old 10 March 2013, 21:24   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
  • Auto lifejackets can fail to inflate. Do you really want that risk with a young person potentially thrown into the water?
  • My experience is auto LJ's can get expensive around young people!
  • Boats are being driven by helms who usually have been training for this event, and who are often more competent than a typical club rescue boat crew
  • The skipper is under the direct supervision of a competent adult (probably an experienced power boat instructor). If they did anything crazy they can stop the boat.
  • Whilst the boats are 'fast' they are typical club rescue boat set ups - not racing spec. As I understand it whilst against the clock - the aim is to do it with good control not just speed.
  • As I understand it there is only one boat on the course at a time - so the risk of collision is tiny.
  • Probably much more likely to end up in the water when dinghy sailing; but nobody considers auto jacket necessary then.
  • Head injury or entanglement in rigging much more likely in dinghy sailing but accepted level of risk.
  • Other boats on site and usually pretty sheltered / close to shore; those are precisely the circumstances where a buoyancy aid would normally be recommended.
Old 10 March 2013, 22:32   #7

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
  • Auto lifejackets can fail to inflate. Do you really want that risk with a young person potentially thrown into the water?
  • My experience is auto LJ's can get expensive around young people!
  • Boats are being driven by helms who usually have been training for this event, and who are often more competent than a typical club rescue boat crew
  • The skipper is under the direct supervision of a competent adult (probably an experienced power boat instructor). If they did anything crazy they can stop the boat.
  • Whilst the boats are 'fast' they are typical club rescue boat set ups - not racing spec. As I understand it whilst against the clock - the aim is to do it with good control not just speed.
  • As I understand it there is only one boat on the course at a time - so the risk of collision is tiny.
  • Probably much more likely to end up in the water when dinghy sailing; but nobody considers auto jacket necessary then.
  • Head injury or entanglement in rigging much more likely in dinghy sailing but accepted level of risk.
  • Other boats on site and usually pretty sheltered / close to shore; those are precisely the circumstances where a buoyancy aid would normally be recommended.
Very comprehensive

and last but not least - a LJ cannot be worn under any outer garment
Old 11 March 2013, 14:38   #8

Make: humber
Length: 6m +
leaving aside the lifejacket/buoyancy aid issue - did the RYA leaflet give any highly persuasive reasons, or motivation, for joining/renewing your subs?
Old 11 March 2013, 14:54   #9
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dally View Post
leaving aside the lifejacket/buoyancy aid issue - did the RYA leaflet give any highly persuasive reasons, or motivation, for joining/renewing your subs?
Good questions, brochure covers under headings
we can help you enjoy boating more
We can save you money
Get more from your boating Support the Rya
We stand up for your rights
Were here for you

Then lists 8 Membership types

In answer to your question, not really, I work commercially so have tickets issued by them, I am a qualified instructor but not a school. Had a need to seek support last year concerning legal matters and they did not help despite telling me they would. I need a lot of convincing I get something from the RYA except issue of tickets and free members lounge in some events.

I am guessing this will start a role of defending of training done / offered. I believe their recent stance of coding of vessels for training has started in the right direction as could never understand the allowance for school boats being uncoded, again that will open the flood gates from coleagues and friends who run schools under RYA banner.
Old 11 March 2013, 15:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
I work commercially so have tickets issued by them, I am a qualified instructor but not a school.
BTW you do not have to be a member of the RYA to operate as a RYA Instructor.

However the "school" that issues RYA certificates must be a RYA Recognised Training Centre for which they have to pay a recognition fee to the RYA - which for a existing school is only £295 a year - given that over 160,000 people take RYA training courses each year - is not a lot.
Old 12 March 2013, 00:23   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
but they do get to take part in the pyramid selling scheme partners programme! and to renew your certs does it not cost the same as joining if you are not a member?
Old 12 March 2013, 08:43   #12

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:

Very comprehensive

and last but not least - a LJ cannot be worn under any outer garment
Good point if it is a proper lifejacket but is it a lifejacket or a buoyancy aid he is wearing ,
My musto foul weather jacket has a buoyancy / floatation waistcoat that can be zipped inside .
Old 12 March 2013, 08:48   #13
SPR

I past experience it will be a BA , since if the person turned up with a LJ it would be on top of the vest.

As poly said its usually PBI in boats , or APBI's

Regards

S.
Old 12 March 2013, 08:49   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
Good point ,,,but is it a lifejacket or buoyancy aid he is wearing ,
My musto foul weather jacket has a buoyancy waistcoat that can be zipped inside .
Quote:
S.
As per SPR - BA - buoyancy aid - which I always wear when I am providing safety cover or general "messing" about - top piece of kit
Old 26 July 2013, 16:04   #15

Quote:
Update in relation to the above

As of the 1st of October 2013 the following changes will take place:

1) All new applicants for RYA instructor qualifications will need to be RYA members in order to be eligible to be awarded the instructor qualification. They may either join in advance of the instructor course or at the time that their instructor application is submitted to the RYA.

2) All instructors wishing to update their RYA instructor qualifications (required every 5 years for most disciplines) will also need to be RYA members in order for the update to be processed.
Old 26 July 2013, 18:12   #16
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Update in relation to the above

As of the 1st of October 2013 the following changes will take place:

1) All new applicants for RYA instructor qualifications will need to be RYA members in order to be eligible to be awarded the instructor qualification. They may either join in advance of the instructor course or at the time that their instructor application is submitted to the RYA.

2) All instructors wishing to update their RYA instructor qualifications (required every 5 years for most disciplines) will also need to be RYA members in order for the update to be processed.
Why has this change been brought in?
Old 26 July 2013, 18:13   #17

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Quote:
During the competition they are safety boat(s) on standby, so do you really need full Lifejackets - any body will be recovered under a few minutes.

It's all about the correct kit for situation, I have seen the Risk Assessments about 20 pages!

The over yellow shirt is to give sponsors maximum publicity - considering they donate boats and engines as prizes not too bad compromise!

Scottish Regional Finial - Sunday 9th June - strathclyde park

S.
you forgot to mention that the right kit includes having a honda engine as well

you could have also added that you could then play on the giant doughnuts that had honda 2.3's in them and were next to the honda powered ribs. at Strathclyde park where the scottish event took place!

on a more serious note and the the only negative I found was the RYA's attitude to who could take part as I would like to see it opened up to everyone's kids.

Boat handling at all ages should be encourage for everyone and not just people in sailing clubs!
Old 26 July 2013, 19:02   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Why has this change been brought in?
This is from the comms that I received

Re: RYA Instructor Membership

I am writing to you following a recent decision by RYA Council concerning RYA membership for key stakeholders within the RYA.

Standard practice within virtually all sporting bodies over many years has been to require all those engaged in any stake holding role related to the organisation to be members of the governing body for that sport. Typically this involves instructors, officials and various other roles relating to the sport. The logic behind such an approach is to encourage commitment and interaction between both the individual and the governing body. Clearly it is appropriate for a governing body to maintain a healthy and direct relationship with its key stakeholders. Equally, it is essential for those stakeholders to be able to demonstrate an on-going association with and commitment to their relevant governing body and indeed to the sport.

The RYA has decided to pursue a similar strategy.
Old 26 July 2013, 19:14   #19

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Well, as a non instructor, but pure leisure user, and I have been a member of the RYA I can't really say it's done much for me.

Yes I have done RYA courses - but the appropriate fee which helps the RYA to train the trainers, so market place transaction.

I know it's meant to be the pressure group representing boater to parliament etc, but many of their recommendations / decisions I do not agree with, and they haven't prevented some fundamental changes in law that affect everyone.

My view it is an elite, not very accountable body very large-WAFI biased that thinks it know what's best fro a very wide range of interests.

do shoot me down if I'm wrong.

LT
Old 26 July 2013, 19:18   #20
RIBnet supporter

Cheers but I bet it won't stop there, next will be anyone issued a commercial endorsement and then later anyone who takes one of their yacht/powerboat courses that issues a ticket.

Am I being too cynical ? No