Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 31 May 2007, 14:32   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,622
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Another big hand up for Jimbo!

He and I did our VHF instructors together and can vouche for his skills as a teacher.

Sarah Might be worth you giving Jimbo a shout to she if he can fit "your man in" as it were before Sept.

You might want to try Simon Hawkins on here, word has it that he is not to shabby either

Failing that you have Jon and his "dad" at Mendez Marine.

If you were all over my way I would offer my services but sadly your not.

Hope that does not add to the confusion too much for you both.

Cheers
__________________

__________________
Jon Brooks VSMM. Marine Mammal Medic, PBI, SRC Assessor,PWC Instructor.
www.horizonseasafaris.co.uk
Jon Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2007, 16:05   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Nr Tring
Boat name: Braveheart
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 140
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Brooks View Post
Another big hand up for Jimbo!

He and I did our VHF instructors together and can vouche for his skills as a teacher.

Sarah Might be worth you giving Jimbo a shout to she if he can fit "your man in" as it were before Sept.

You might want to try Simon Hawkins on here, word has it that he is not to shabby either

Failing that you have Jon and his "dad" at Mendez Marine.

If you were all over my way I would offer my services but sadly your not.

Hope that does not add to the confusion too much for you both.

Cheers
Thanks Jon

I'll have a chat with 'my man' and see if he wants to be fitted in before Sept - as it were... ;o)
__________________

__________________
Sarah G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2007, 17:13   #13
RIBnet supporter
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,830
Thanks for all the reccomendations. I'll have a look at the various websites.

All I'll have to do then is try and persuade the other half that it's gonna be a 2 day course so that's one day less in the shops
__________________
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2007, 04:58   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Nr Tring
Boat name: Braveheart
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 140
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Thanks for all the reccomendations. I'll have a look at the various websites.

All I'll have to do then is try and persuade the other half that it's gonna be a 2 day course so that's one day less in the shops
However, you might need an 'extra day' in the shops to get kitted out - new shoes, new wet weather gear, new outfit, change of clothes at the end of the training, acceptance certificate clothes, handbag - luggage to put all this stuff in - trust me - she'll love it!!! Your bank balance might not though... ;o)
__________________
Sarah G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2007, 08:51   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Make: extreme 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: merc 6.2 320hp
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
I'm going to be travelling along the South coast in about a months time (by car not boat sadly ) and I'd like my girlfriend to have some tuition in driving the boat if she should ever need to. I'm also hoping it will give her some confidence to take the helm occasionally when we're out and about.

Can anyone recommend a good sea school to use, and give some advice about what course would suit. I'm assuming level 1 would be most appropriate, although she does have some experience from having been on board for the last 1,000 miles or so, and is competent at grabbing the mooring/pontoon and tying bowlines etc.

Cheers

Keith
why not teach her yourself, i would suspect she already knows alot with her experience
__________________
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2007, 10:12   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,556
I always enjoyed teaching my girlfriends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
why not teach her yourself, i would suspect she already knows alot with her experience
If you wanted to do that then these two books are very good as a tuition aid and the Powerboat Logbook from the RYA gives you the syllabus

http://www.bookharbour.com/epages/St...oducts/SLG0399

http://www.bookharbour.com/epages/St...oducts/RYA0330

http://www.bookharbour.com/epages/St...oducts/RYA0400
__________________
Here it comes again, I don't stand a chance
Soul possession, Got me in a trance
Pullin' me back to you - Deja Voodoo
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2007, 16:21   #17
RIBnet supporter
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,830
Thanks Mr Wave, I'll be contacting you soon. Best she is taught by someone properly qualified. I don't want any domestics over it, so better if I'm not involved whilst she's being taught and encouraged.
__________________
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2007, 18:15   #18
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 525
You are wasting your time mate, just staple a steering wheel tothe left side like Marge Simpson and then give her a whistle to blow if she is in trouble, then hope for the best!!!!!
__________________
Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 15:43   #19
RIBnet supporter
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,830
Well, thanks to Stuart and Stewart at the Uk Ribcentre in Lymington, she is now a convert

Even after two days of on/off rain and fairly strong winds during the course, she can't wait to get back out on the water to show me what she's learnt. Can't ask for more than that really.
__________________
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 17:21   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Nr Tring
Boat name: Braveheart
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 140
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Well, thanks to Stuart and Stewart at the Uk Ribcentre in Lymington, she is now a convert

Even after two days of on/off rain and fairly strong winds during the course, she can't wait to get back out on the water to show me what she's learnt. Can't ask for more than that really.
__________________

__________________
Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Sarah G is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.