Old 05 November 2020, 11:29   #1

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
RYA Latest

Just received the following which would appear to give the green light to recreational boating?

The RYA has released a statement setting out its interpretation of tomorrow’s upcoming England lockdown and how this affects the marine community. In the statement it says that ‘it is clear the government does not want to grant multiple exemptions at this time and is focused on protecting the NHS’.

Although, as the RYA says, the statutory instrument published yesterday is still to be debated in Parliament later today, it will not give boaters and clubs much time to adapt to the latest new reality. As such, the RYA continues to liaise with other marine bodies, government departments, and various partners including Sport England and UK Sport, to get as much clarity and understanding as possible on what this means for boating in England.

Dialogue is also continuing with the Department for Education around the details of what is possible as part of training and education.

The RYA notes that clubs, classes and centres up and down the country have made a huge effort to keep members active and on the water despite the many challenges the Covid-19 pandemic has presented. The RYA and the sports sector throughout have presented strong arguments about the importance of activity during the pandemic, but for the next month most facilities will have to close.

The RYA’s current understanding of the situation (subject to any local restrictions) is as follows:

Recreational boating from a public outdoor space for single households and support bubbles or with one other person (with social distancing) may be possible
Public waterways and beaches will remain open during the lockdown
Outdoor sports centres and amenities (which includes sailing clubs and watersports centres) will have to close
Members may be able to access boats for essential checks and maintenance, however, this will need to be agreed with their club/marina/harbour authority, with individuals taking personal responsibility for meeting government guidance
University sport will not be taking place
School sport will be happening but only as part of organised school activity
Some charities may be able to continue aspects of their work
There are continuing exemptions for elite athletes for them to train or compete, so the British Sailing Team programme can continue
No overnight stays are allowed on boats except for residential berth holders (where the boat is their primary residence) or for business purposes
‘The boating community has proven that it can be trusted to operate in a covid secure manner under RYA guidance and the RYA will continue to stress to government both the low risks of a sport such as boating as well as the positive physical and mental benefits that our sport brings,’ the RYA says.
Old 05 November 2020, 16:17   #2

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
bugger we were hoping the yacht club as a sport center would be able to continue its activity's but it seems not .oh well maybe later
Old 07 November 2020, 16:14   #3

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Any fresh opinions on this ? ,, I asked at my local slipway today and was slightly surprised to be told ," if i had an annual slip pass i was good to go" keeping distancing rules of course.
Old 07 November 2020, 17:18   #4

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Any fresh opinions on this ?
https://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/ne...trictions.aspx

It's been updated since the original announcement to say: "Recreational boating from a public outdoor space for single households and support bubbles or with one other person (with social distancing) is currently permitted"

Certainly in Poole, whilst our sailing club is closed and no one is allowed to use their boats there, the public slipway is still open and people launching, and loads of people beach launching dinghies, kitesurfer, windsurfers, etc.
Old 07 November 2020, 17:32   #5

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
I was down at Exmouth/Topsham today and saw a few Boats out and about.....certainly down on usual numbers but some activity for sure.
I got out on my own in the Bristol Chanel just before 2nd lockdown ...and they were still very unsure what the regs would be...
I'll bell Watchet Harbour Master tomorrow for an update.
"BUBBLE" RULES...Hopefully!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2020, 18:32   #6

Town: Isle of Wight
Boat name: Baloo
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp VMAX
The three harbours I have spoken to on the Solent have all said, there is no issue using you boat (in line with guidelines) but they will not be taking any over night visitors. Some will not take short stay day visitors either.
Old 07 November 2020, 19:10   #7

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Thanks people ,it is starting to look as if it is fairly undisputed ,which is helpful as i dont want to cause any controversy or be accused of exploiting a loophole ,just a once around the estuary /rivers will do me in November ,think tommorow is still fine for the east
Old 07 November 2020, 19:59   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
Cowes marinas are open for day visitors only including toilets and the fuel berth is open on shorter hours.
RNSA moorings are usable during the day.