Old 27 May 2003, 09:44   #1

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
RYA Information

I am interested to hear your views, opinions and thoughts on if you think the RYA are a true representive of motorboating.

should there be a seperate governing body operating on the motorboaters behalf ? Alan P
Old 27 May 2003, 10:14   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
I am sure it started because people started to buy and run their own sailing boats. Motor boats in private use came along later.
The problem is it feels like a yachting association with a bit of "motor boat" glued on.
The problem is, if you have a separate organisation set up, then you create a schism in the boating world which is unlikely to be positive and helpful.
Because "we" have so much in common, perhaps the RYA ought to become the PBA (Pleasure Boat-owners Assn) ?
Old 27 May 2003, 10:24   #3

Make: FB 55
I must agree with Brian. Starting a new association, club, organisation.....whatever, will enivetably end up with a wider split between the two. The name should be changed to reflect what the organisation is all about - i.e. pleasure boating. This will not necessarily address all the problems, but psychologically it will go a long way in redressing the imbalance in favour of the yachties currently.
This is simply my opinion, you might not agree!
Old 27 May 2003, 10:57   #4

Boat name: Seascaper
Make: Hurricane 640
Length: 6.7
Engine: Volvo Penta AD31DP
I am in favour of the RMA - Royal Motorboat Association.
Alan, you could be the chairman. I suggest a membership fee similar to the RYA so that you get a decent salary.
I would put myself forward to represent Ribbers but I would expect many to volunteer knowing how we all like a glass of champers.
Old 27 May 2003, 18:30   #5

Town: Poole
Length: 6m +
Alan

I think historically that the RYA were not truly representative of motorboating and it played second fiddle to yachting & small boat sailing, today though I think it is different and there are a variety of reasons for this.

Before commenting further I should admit a vested interest insofar as I am Principal of an RYA powerboat/shorebased school & a Powerboat Trainer, that said despite this I’m big enough & ugly enough to form my own views and therefore and always quite happy to throw in my thoughts – good & bad – on aspects of the RYA.

As you are no doubt aware the pro-bono work McKinsey did for the RYA a year or two ago made it clear to the RYA (note they do not actually now use the term ‘Royal Yachting Association’ very often – seemingly a conscious decision for just the reason touched on by others above) that motorboating/powerboating was the real growth area going forward but it was not adequately represented internally versus sailing. The result was Jon Mendez’s appointment as Chief Powerboat & Motorboat Instructor. Change always takes a while to permeate through but my understanding from speaking to a variety of people at the RYA is that there is now no way powerboating is secondary, courses are being overhauled (The National Powerboat Scheme is being overhauled & updated) and the lobbying that occurs to prevent more regulation is done equally in the name of all boaters (I was actually surprised to find out how much time is spent ensuring other bodies do not impose inappropriate regulation on us)

So overall I think on balance the RYA does represent us well, it can do a host of things better but the key (in my view) to improving is a realisation that change is needed and there is no doubt in my mind that that process is ongoing. The burden of fighting the increasing legislation impacting all aspects of life is too onerous for motorboaters & sailors to fight individually so I for one advocate the RYA as the right people to represent motorboating with the caveat that we must make sure they know what we think & want. Jon is very approachable and has listened to plenty of my suggestions & thoughts and I know is keen to hear everyone’s views (I’m sure he’d love your emails jonathan.mendez@rya.org.uk)

I don’t mean to sound like a walking billboard for the RYA but having given Rodd Carr a hard time at the Boatshow a couple of years ago credit where credit is due and I have see first hand the change starting & continuing to occur so lets hope the RYA do continue to act for us else boating will be a less fun and more onerous pastime.

Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2003, 19:57   #6

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
Alan, my gut reaction is a vehement NO.

One of the (to me) cherished aspects of British liesure craft use is that we are not in the UK subjected to too many rules and regulations. Long may that last! And there is strength in the predominantly sail-led RYA voice to keep it that way.

A separate power boat association would be far more likely to sucumb to demands for legally enforced rules, regulations and mandatory qualifications. The demand from power boaters to regulate elements within their own ranks - as evidenced by the not infrequent debates that takes place on this Forum - will only become louder.

And that is not surprising. I have to agree that a powerboat (such as a jetski machine) is far more potentially lethal in the hands of an unqualified and reckless driver than a sailboat (such as a windsurfer).

If you are in favour of regulation, then dividing boating representaion into segments will lead the power boaters inevitably towards legally enforced rules.

And I personally detest the inexorable erosion of freedom in all our lives.
Old 27 May 2003, 20:14   #7

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Quote:
And I personally detest the inexorable erosion of freedom in all our lives.
Amen to that Mike.

Keith (don't start me on that one again) Hart
Old 28 May 2003, 07:06   #8

Thanks for all your replys and please keep them coming.
Perhaps I could ask your views on the name of the govering body. Do you think that a name more appropriate to the activities the organisation promotes would be beter suited ? ie The Royal Boating Association (or such). I do have a very good reason for asking these questions so thanks for your input. Alan P
Old 28 May 2003, 07:08   #9

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
It may not be a good idea to change the name as you may loose any recognition from non watery types, but how about RYMA - Royal Yachting and Motorboating Association.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2003, 09:11   #10

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
RYA my thoughts

Being fairly new to ribbing and having just joined the RYA i'm very interested to know why they will quite happily take your money for all sorts of things but have no real recogntion of small powered craft, so far i've had to join to get sea start rescue ! i've paid £19 to recieve a naff looking VHF license and i'm reluctant to cough up the amount they want for the official PBL2 certificate, then we get to official RYA courses, surely it would be an idea to include all course materials, i.e books and literature when you par take in an official RYA course !! having complete other courses through work you normally turn up and get furnished with everything and at the end get a jazzy looking certificate to hang on your wall, ok so this may all be to keep down the costs and yes i know we get a discount on books and course notes.

At the end of the day i'm all for teaching people the right way to go boating and the RYA does this very well with courses set up for every level.

Richard
Old 29 May 2003, 10:05   #11

Boat name: Seascaper
Make: Hurricane 640
Length: 6.7
Engine: Volvo Penta AD31DP
Alan

What do they do down under. Do they jump around like kangaroos?
Old 29 May 2003, 12:01   #12

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Hi folks

I have had very little to do with the RYA.
Howevew this is because I belive the name says it all. Many people belive that power boats, and especially us blow up lot are not a group thats worth listening to. The large gin palace lot tend to get heard more but I am sure thats more to do with the money involved than anything else.

The one big problem for any changes is that once a group is recognised as representing "all" boaters it becomed very dificult or impossible to get other groups heard and have a say.
To that end I belive that the changes need to happed within the RYA and not the forming of another group.
It may be better to have specific representation within the RYA for each group, i.e. the comittiee made up of say 2 yacht people, 2 power curiser people, 2 RIB people, two dingy sailers etc.

In some ways is may be catch 22. I dont bother joining because I dont belive the RYA has anything to offer me, so cant really complain when I dont get represented.

Given what is happening within the UK and europe these days I am not sure how much any single organisation can bring to bear on policy changes.

As far as joining what do I get for my £28 per year, well I may join to get a ICC but that would be a one off. After that the only issue that they have been involved in which is of any interest to me, which I belive will have a hugh impact on power boating is the TAX issue on diesel and this has only been put off.
If I could see some real benifits in joining I would but at the prsent I see none.
If their are reasons, I am open to comment and If I have been wrong please accecept my appologies and my £28 will be in the post. Until then I see no reason to join or support the RYA.

Regards Gary
Old 29 May 2003, 14:35   #13
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally posted by Garygee
As far as joining what do I get for my £28 per year
A quarterly windsurfing magazine . . .

John
Old 29 May 2003, 16:00   #14

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Now that make RIB International a bargin
Old 31 May 2003, 19:21   #15

Town: Poole
Alan

So what is your view and why the interest?

Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2003, 18:09   #16

Paul. I wear many hats and this is one that I have been asked to wear at the moment. I have no particular view at present apart from I think the magazine is bordering on crap . I am sure at some point all will be reveiled. Alan P
Old 02 June 2003, 13:38   #17

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Engine: Several
Just some thoughts as National Motorboat and Powerboat Trainer of the Irish Sailing Association ( ISA) .

We have the same problems over here.

Traditionally, RIBs etc were seen as a necessary evil by the sailors which were needed rescue craft for events. What happened of course was that powerboating took off as a sport in its own right.

The Powerboat training Scheme over here is actually the fastest growing and most popular training scheme within the ISA.

We ( the Powerboaters and Motorboaters) have been working fairly hard to create a vibrant Powered wing within the ISA and I feel that there is now light at the end of the tunnel. I agree that it is better to change from within rather than fracture the boating community with different associations. However the pay back here is that the ISA and RYA recognise the importance of the Powerboaters and Motorboaters within the core membership.

Perhaps it is time that the two associations ( which cross recognise each others training schemes) should look at names such as Irish Boating Association and Royal Boating Association.

With a RIB someone with no boating or "Club" background can now do a two day Level 2 course go out and buy a RIB and Hey Presto they are boating. I reckon that the RIB has been one of the single biggest factors to open up boating to the average person both in the UK and Ireland.

Dunno about the last comment about the Certs. Here in Lough Ree Power Boat School the price of Certs Logbooks, Hand books etc is included in the price of the course. I guess it varies from School to School.

Best wishes,

Stuart
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote