Old 29 May 2003, 06:05   #11

Boat name: Seascaper
Make: Hurricane 640
Length: 6.7
Engine: Volvo Penta AD31DP
Alan

What do they do down under. Do they jump around like kangaroos?

Old 29 May 2003, 08:01   #12

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Hi folks

I have had very little to do with the RYA.
Howevew this is because I belive the name says it all. Many people belive that power boats, and especially us blow up lot are not a group thats worth listening to. The large gin palace lot tend to get heard more but I am sure thats more to do with the money involved than anything else.

The one big problem for any changes is that once a group is recognised as representing "all" boaters it becomed very dificult or impossible to get other groups heard and have a say.
To that end I belive that the changes need to happed within the RYA and not the forming of another group.
It may be better to have specific representation within the RYA for each group, i.e. the comittiee made up of say 2 yacht people, 2 power curiser people, 2 RIB people, two dingy sailers etc.

In some ways is may be catch 22. I dont bother joining because I dont belive the RYA has anything to offer me, so cant really complain when I dont get represented.

Given what is happening within the UK and europe these days I am not sure how much any single organisation can bring to bear on policy changes.

As far as joining what do I get for my 28 per year, well I may join to get a ICC but that would be a one off. After that the only issue that they have been involved in which is of any interest to me, which I belive will have a hugh impact on power boating is the TAX issue on diesel and this has only been put off.
If I could see some real benifits in joining I would but at the prsent I see none.
If their are reasons, I am open to comment and If I have been wrong please accecept my appologies and my 28 will be in the post. Until then I see no reason to join or support the RYA.

Regards Gary

Old 29 May 2003, 10:35   #13
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally posted by Garygee
As far as joining what do I get for my 28 per year
A quarterly windsurfing magazine . . .

John
Old 29 May 2003, 12:00   #14

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Now that make RIB International a bargin
Old 31 May 2003, 15:21   #15

Town: Poole
Length: 6m +
Alan

So what is your view and why the interest?

Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2003, 14:09   #16

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Paul. I wear many hats and this is one that I have been asked to wear at the moment. I have no particular view at present apart from I think the magazine is bordering on crap . I am sure at some point all will be reveiled. Alan P
Old 02 June 2003, 09:38   #17

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Length: 6m +
Engine: Several
Just some thoughts as National Motorboat and Powerboat Trainer of the Irish Sailing Association ( ISA) .

We have the same problems over here.

Traditionally, RIBs etc were seen as a necessary evil by the sailors which were needed rescue craft for events. What happened of course was that powerboating took off as a sport in its own right.

The Powerboat training Scheme over here is actually the fastest growing and most popular training scheme within the ISA.

We ( the Powerboaters and Motorboaters) have been working fairly hard to create a vibrant Powered wing within the ISA and I feel that there is now light at the end of the tunnel. I agree that it is better to change from within rather than fracture the boating community with different associations. However the pay back here is that the ISA and RYA recognise the importance of the Powerboaters and Motorboaters within the core membership.

Perhaps it is time that the two associations ( which cross recognise each others training schemes) should look at names such as Irish Boating Association and Royal Boating Association.

With a RIB someone with no boating or "Club" background can now do a two day Level 2 course go out and buy a RIB and Hey Presto they are boating. I reckon that the RIB has been one of the single biggest factors to open up boating to the average person both in the UK and Ireland.

Dunno about the last comment about the Certs. Here in Lough Ree Power Boat School the price of Certs Logbooks, Hand books etc is included in the price of the course. I guess it varies from School to School.

Best wishes,

Stuart

Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote