Old 10 August 2010, 10:45   #21

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: DeeDee
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 115 Autolube
Thanks Mollers. I have made a bit of progress via a helpful chap at Indespension. Looks like a new axle with braked hubs rated 1100kg can be on my doorstep tomorrow or Thurs. It'll cost, but that's boats. I'll see what I think about fitting it - looks like a few D bolts only but will keep Skippy's number in case snags arise, as they inevitably will !

Cheers.
Old 10 August 2010, 10:50   #22

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus_J View Post
Thanks Mollers. I have made a bit of progress via a helpful chap at Indespension. Looks like a new axle with braked hubs rated 1100kg can be on my doorstep tomorrow or Thurs. It'll cost, but that's boats. I'll see what I think about fitting it - looks like a few D bolts only but will keep Skippy's number in case snags arise, as they inevitably will !

Cheers.
Ideal, I've run it by Skippy, he's happy to check it over if required. Setting-up the brakes maybe the tricky bit.
Old 10 August 2010, 11:06   #23

Exactly. Assuming I can remove the old nuts from the 6 bolts (well corroded), putting the axle on looks OK but I'll be floundering on brake set-up/cable tensioning so will gratefully keep his number.

Am now sticking a wetsuit on in an attempt to lift the prop shaft (still down as no electrics) manually. Apparently it can be done by releasing a hydraulic valve. We'll see. Lovely weather for it !

Thanks very much indeed.
Old 10 August 2010, 13:07   #24

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Exactly. Assuming I can remove the old nuts from the 6 bolts (well corroded), putting the axle on looks OK but I'll be floundering on brake set-up/cable tensioning so will gratefully keep his number.

Am now sticking a wetsuit on in an attempt to lift the prop shaft (still down as no electrics) manually. Apparently it can be done by releasing a hydraulic valve. We'll see. Lovely weather for it !

Thanks very much indeed.
With a fresh 12v supply and a pair of jump leads you could go into the lump direct and bypass the isolator etc. That way you could tilt it.
Old 12 August 2010, 10:52   #25

Update.

I tested as much as I could, being a novice, and all seemed OK. Fitted the original battery after checking it was charged and almost immediately wires started smoking and within 5 secs the main cables from battery to engine had all but melted.

I have got an engineer coming tomorrow. Primary cables will need replacing at least. It's beyond me now.
Old 12 August 2010, 19:30   #26

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
Quote:
Update.

I tested as much as I could, being a novice, and all seemed OK. Fitted the original battery after checking it was charged and almost immediately wires started smoking and within 5 secs the main cables from battery to engine had all but melted.

I have got an engineer coming tomorrow. Primary cables will need replacing at least. It's beyond me now.

well at least that should be easy to find the fault, it will be where the melting on the wires stops!
sounds like theres a really big short there, either a wire rubbed through, or the rectifier pack gone.