Old 26 March 2003, 10:22   #21

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Regulation or not??

I think that the sea is a dangerous place to be if you get over confident or have a cavalier attitude about it.
Regulation prevents more people getting hurt (some will get hurt any way law of probability).
However, I have to agree that it does not matter how many safety equipment you have on a boat if you do not know how to use them. This is why it should be made MANDATORY to have an ICC or some short of certificate certifying boat competence which is issued by a recognised body i.e. the RYA.
People on boats without the proper education on the subject are like a Patriot missile without its guidance system

Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2003, 10:50   #22
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
I agree that the sea CAN be a dangerous place to be, but so are the mountains in winter, and how many people are injured and killed there?

Going to the other extreme, driving a car and using our road system is one of the most heavily regulated activities, strictly enforced by a large contingent of specially trained and equiped Police Officers, yet IS STILL the biggest killer of all!

Also agree with you Manos on training and (perhaps) certification. It largely works in the diving world doesn't it? Most dive boat skippers and many tank refillers require you to "prove" that you are competant.
Old 26 March 2003, 10:55   #23

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Tank fillers, not in my experience. They only tend to demand proof of qualification if you request Nitrox or Trimix. Normal air you could get no problems without qualification.
However, most of the inland dive sites need you to prove you're either qualified or will be diving with an instructor, but that's more a case of them needing to protect themselves incase of an accident.

Rebreathers, however, do tend to need qualifications to even be purchased. If I wanted a brand new AP Inspiration closed circuit rebreather, there's only one way to buy it, and that's through a qualified instructor. And when you buy it, part of the price is a training course which you do before the rebreather unit is handed over to you. You could of course by one second hand and save yourself a couple of grand, but that saving could, if you aren't trained properly, quite literally cost you your life.

As Brian said, roads are indeed still bloody dangerous, but they are still policed quite well, by a large organisation that is pretty much dedicated to it. The cost of anything similar for our coastal areas would be likely be stupidly higher.

Matt
Old 26 March 2003, 12:54   #24

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
I agree with you guys. However, for driving a car you need a licence, to climb a mountain you need professional training, to dive you need to be certified and I can go on for ever.
As far as I know the UK is the only EU country that you do not need any certification what so ever to drive a boat. Further there is NO regulations or legislation from the Government regarding leisure craft safety. There are no checks by the Coastguard or MSA on leisure craft and there no fines imposed (only in very rare cases) to people who behave like mavericks in the sea.
I have may examples in and around the Isle of White where IDIOTS on wet bikes (jet skies) drive very near the beach doing 40 and 50 knots (something that you see in NIGERIA or DOMINICAN REPUBLIC) trying to cure their p...k extension syndrome and they also drive round and round your boat for hours like there is no any where else to go.
There is no rule prohibiting that short of behavior in the UK as there is no rule prohibiting the same thing in UGANDA, NIGERIA, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, INDIA, PAKISTAN (I know this cause I've been there) etc etc, however in Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Holland, Germany, Greece, Turkey, and many other countries the penalty is to CONFISCATE YOUR JET SKI AND PAY A VERY HEAFTY FINE!!!. So no body dares do it!!
Any way I think that in the UK a regulatory authority SHOULD TAKE OVER and impose some rules and regulations to something which is a very enjoyable sport and hobby. They will have to do it any way as this is a must directed by the EU.
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2003, 14:42   #25

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally posted by Manos
there is NO regulations or legislation from the Government regarding leisure craft safety
Wrong!

Firstly, large motor vessels (over 12m?) come under commercial regulations. (See the ninth article here...)
http://www.mcga.gov.uk/news/prosecutions/index.htm

Secondly ALL pleasure vessels are within the scope of SOLAS chapter 5.

http://www.mcga.gov.uk/publications/leaflets/Solas.pdf

Sorry, but regulation is already here.
Old 26 March 2003, 14:44   #26

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
More Rules Ect.

Wow this has certainly opened up the debate.

Ref emergency services I agree that they are paid/volunteer but if you talk to these people how many times do you hear the expression "What a waste of life, Could have been prevented, If only", excetera excetera!!

Would not these services better used by those who really need them?

I agree there will always be people who will take risks, but ask Allan P. I bet they are very calculated ones. Clibmers, ect.

I belive training is deffinately the possitive way forward rather than compulsory enforcement. However, some people who think they no better, still chose to ignore & flout the Rules, Regulations or Laws. Therefore, enforecemnt does become an issue.

The minority will always spoil it for the majority

Regards
Old 26 March 2003, 15:08   #27

Town: Hamble
Oops!
Old 26 March 2003, 15:21   #28
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Well done Dirk.
All this cause Manos wanted to sell us a cork float each to go on our boats!
Old 26 March 2003, 15:37   #29

Town: Hamble
It was an accident, but whilst we are on the subject of legislation, does any one really think that holding a piece of paper such as an ICC is going to save lives. Is it not true that motor accidents increased after the seat belt rule, having to wear a belt made some people drive faster and with less care, almost like it made them feel invincible.

Legislation would be another form of taxation, just a money spinner for those that regulate it. If the government really wanted to save lives, they would ban smoking, but as the taxes raised from it go towards funding the national health, we'd all be in trouble.

Surely the last bit of freedom that we have should be left alone, I was attracted to boats in my teens due to numerous speeding fines, and being constantly stopped by the police because my car didn't fit my profile. Because of this I bought a skiboat to "let off steam". Mind you I did get find for speeding in the first month of ownership by the harbourmaster in Looe.
Old 26 March 2003, 16:18   #30

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
DD, you vandal

So then, this regulation stuff is all your fault?

Do your own thing and do it safely.

I like the oars bit of the Greek regs. Who's going to be able to paddle a 1 ton boat a mile or two or ten? And, I'm a canoeist. They can be useful in remote areas for landing amongst rock or weed but for safety...just silly.