Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 23 September 2005, 19:41   #1
Member
 
Country: USA
Boat name: Thalassa
Make: RIBCRAFT
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 115 4 stroke
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 369
Rude?

Is it rude to ask the company thats making your RIB what the normal dimensions of their A-frames are so you can make it yourself? heh i already did this and the guy seemed a little mad...1950 USD for a A-frame though...not really reasonable
__________________

__________________
Chopppywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2005, 01:47   #2
Member
 
Richard B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,015
Not if you ask politely!
__________________

Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2005, 06:07   #3
RIBnet supporter
 
Jizm's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopppywaters
Is it rude to ask the company thats making your RIB what the normal dimensions of their A-frames are so you can make it yourself? heh i already did this and the guy seemed a little mad...1950 USD for a A-frame though...not really reasonable
Did he give you the dimensions tho'?
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2005, 07:16   #4
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: fort lauderdale, fl
Length: no boat
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 32
as long as you ask nicely he has no reason to not give them to you unless hes just a big jerk.If its not stantard equipment on the boat you are buying you have every right to have it made yourself. Its your boat and your money.

did they give you the dimensions?
__________________
InfBoatsMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2005, 07:38   #5
Member
 
Country: USA
Boat name: Thalassa
Make: RIBCRAFT
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 115 4 stroke
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 369
they said they would give me the dimensions, im going to have my friend whos making it call.

I think i asked him nicely, i said somtehing like "Is there any chance i could get the dimensions of the A-Frame"
__________________
Chopppywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2005, 07:54   #6
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: fort lauderdale, fl
Length: no boat
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 32
if they don't give it to him,
let me know and I will call on behalf of the magazine- as if I am making an exploratory call for information on their boats.
__________________
InfBoatsMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2005, 07:58   #7
Member
 
Country: USA
Boat name: Thalassa
Make: RIBCRAFT
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 115 4 stroke
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 369
alright I'll know soon enough. Im pretty sure they will give it to us though heh they have been nice up until now, maybe the guy was having a bad idea i dont know. At least now i can get the A-frame in 316 SS and then powder coat it black since the rest of the boat is black
__________________
Chopppywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2005, 08:22   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopppywaters
alright I'll know soon enough. Im pretty sure they will give it to us though heh they have been nice up until now, maybe the guy was having a bad idea i dont know. At least now i can get the A-frame in 316 SS and then powder coat it black since the rest of the boat is black
Well if it's black you want!!!!

Save a fortune and get marine grade Aluminium - go for bigger tube - it will still be lighter but stronger. It is a LOT cheaper than stainless and you can have it anodized any colour you want!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2005, 08:31   #9
Member
 
Country: USA
Boat name: Thalassa
Make: RIBCRAFT
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 115 4 stroke
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 369
is there a certain kind of aluminum i should get?heh
__________________
Chopppywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2005, 16:24   #10
wes
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: St. Thomas
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 26
The big question here is what is the A-frame made out of? $1950 USD for a Stainless Steel A-frame is not a bad price. Usually the builder installs all the equipment on it (lights, antennas, etc.) - all included in. I made the mistake once of trying to have a frame made up elsewhere. By the time I paid to have the frame made, then paied to ahve the VHF antenna, GPS antenna, and running lights installed, the whole thing cost MUCH more than if I had bought from the manf.
__________________
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2005, 15:30   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: St Davids
Boat name: 6 vessels -various
Make: Quinquari/Humber
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin ETEC200s
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes
The big question here is what is the A-frame made out of? $1950 USD for a Stainless Steel A-frame is not a bad price. Usually the builder installs all the equipment on it (lights, antennas, etc.) - all included in. I made the mistake once of trying to have a frame made up elsewhere. By the time I paid to have the frame made, then paied to ahve the VHF antenna, GPS antenna, and running lights installed, the whole thing cost MUCH more than if I had bought from the manf.

Thanyou WES for putting it into context.

We have been asked for dimensions before and are always reluctant as many years of headache have gone into the product. What we say is take a picture and copy from that. What we know is that we need tube notchers and minimal tolerances to get the product right and the guy who thinks hes smart in getting it cheaper will learn the hard way as we did !!

Is it rude... well if I saw your pretty garden and asked could I copy it you would take it as a compliment. If I asked could you give me working details of your job so I could undercut you and steal your job I think you might be a bit fed up. However a good RIB supplier will understand that clients do have budgets and if you are fair with them I think they may just help but dont expect major savings.

Cheers

John
www.quinquari.co.uk
__________________
quinquarimarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2005, 15:38   #12
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Why copy a design already in circulation. Design your own and have something unique. You'll still get it cheaper!
__________________
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 October 2005, 00:53   #13
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Fairbanks
Boat name: Medved
Make: Solar
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 Tohatsu
MMSI: 007
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 124
rude

Yes, it is rude. I know from where you come on this deal, but if you are going to undercut the guy, it is "better" (somehow) to do it on your own (IMHO). I build a lot of my own stuff, and I also manufacture stuff for sale. I sometimes steal ideas from other people's stuff, and I get people in other cities that want to buy one of my creations "to try it". I know they are copying it, but I have no patent, so.... I suck up. Copying someone else's product is thievery, plain and simple, as they probably have lots of expensive R&D in it.(Repeat: I steal ideas now and then, too.) I'd suggest you make it "legal" and find another boat with one already on it and copy that one. That shouldn't wee off your sales guy. (Ribcraft, in Marblehead? Say Hi to Adam, et al, if those are the folks w/ whom you are working.)
__________________
Life is a grizzly experience.
Jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 October 2005, 03:00   #14
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklingel
Yes, it is rude. I know from where you come on this deal, but if you are going to undercut the guy, it is "better" (somehow) to do it on your own (IMHO). I build a lot of my own stuff, and I also manufacture stuff for sale. I sometimes steal ideas from other people's stuff, and I get people in other cities that want to buy one of my creations "to try it". I know they are copying it, but I have no patent, so.... I suck up. Copying someone else's product is thievery, plain and simple, as they probably have lots of expensive R&D in it.(Repeat: I steal ideas now and then, too.) I'd suggest you make it "legal" and find another boat with one already on it and copy that one. That shouldn't wee off your sales guy. (Ribcraft, in Marblehead? Say Hi to Adam, et al, if those are the folks w/ whom you are working.)
I think that's a bit strong, he only wants to make a frame for himself! If he was "splashing" a design for gain your dead right, it's unethical and illegal in the case of patents.

On a personal point though, I would never try to copy a design but improve on it!
__________________

__________________
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×