Old 24 September 2005, 00:41   #1

Boat name: Thalassa
Make: RIBCRAFT
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 115 4 stroke
Rude?

Is it rude to ask the company thats making your RIB what the normal dimensions of their A-frames are so you can make it yourself? heh i already did this and the guy seemed a little mad...1950 USD for a A-frame though...not really reasonable
Old 24 September 2005, 06:47   #2

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Not if you ask politely!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2005, 11:07   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopppywaters
Is it rude to ask the company thats making your RIB what the normal dimensions of their A-frames are so you can make it yourself? heh i already did this and the guy seemed a little mad...1950 USD for a A-frame though...not really reasonable
Did he give you the dimensions tho'?
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2005, 12:16   #4

Town: fort lauderdale, fl
Length: no boat
as long as you ask nicely he has no reason to not give them to you unless hes just a big jerk.If its not stantard equipment on the boat you are buying you have every right to have it made yourself. Its your boat and your money.

did they give you the dimensions?
Old 24 September 2005, 12:38   #5

they said they would give me the dimensions, im going to have my friend whos making it call.

I think i asked him nicely, i said somtehing like "Is there any chance i could get the dimensions of the A-Frame"
Old 24 September 2005, 12:54   #6

Town: fort lauderdale, fl
Length: no boat
if they don't give it to him,
let me know and I will call on behalf of the magazine- as if I am making an exploratory call for information on their boats.
Old 24 September 2005, 12:58   #7

alright I'll know soon enough. Im pretty sure they will give it to us though heh they have been nice up until now, maybe the guy was having a bad idea i dont know. At least now i can get the A-frame in 316 SS and then powder coat it black since the rest of the boat is black
Old 24 September 2005, 13:22   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopppywaters
alright I'll know soon enough. Im pretty sure they will give it to us though heh they have been nice up until now, maybe the guy was having a bad idea i dont know. At least now i can get the A-frame in 316 SS and then powder coat it black since the rest of the boat is black
Well if it's black you want!!!!

Save a fortune and get marine grade Aluminium - go for bigger tube - it will still be lighter but stronger. It is a LOT cheaper than stainless and you can have it anodized any colour you want!!!
Old 24 September 2005, 13:31   #9

is there a certain kind of aluminum i should get?heh
Old 27 September 2005, 21:24   #10
wes

Town: St. Thomas
Length: 7m +
The big question here is what is the A-frame made out of? $1950 USD for a Stainless Steel A-frame is not a bad price. Usually the builder installs all the equipment on it (lights, antennas, etc.) - all included in. I made the mistake once of trying to have a frame made up elsewhere. By the time I paid to have the frame made, then paied to ahve the VHF antenna, GPS antenna, and running lights installed, the whole thing cost MUCH more than if I had bought from the manf.
Old 29 September 2005, 20:30   #11

Town: St Davids
Boat name: 6 vessels -various
Make: Quinquari/Humber
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin ETEC200s
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes
The big question here is what is the A-frame made out of? $1950 USD for a Stainless Steel A-frame is not a bad price. Usually the builder installs all the equipment on it (lights, antennas, etc.) - all included in. I made the mistake once of trying to have a frame made up elsewhere. By the time I paid to have the frame made, then paied to ahve the VHF antenna, GPS antenna, and running lights installed, the whole thing cost MUCH more than if I had bought from the manf.

Thanyou WES for putting it into context.

We have been asked for dimensions before and are always reluctant as many years of headache have gone into the product. What we say is take a picture and copy from that. What we know is that we need tube notchers and minimal tolerances to get the product right and the guy who thinks hes smart in getting it cheaper will learn the hard way as we did !!

Is it rude... well if I saw your pretty garden and asked could I copy it you would take it as a compliment. If I asked could you give me working details of your job so I could undercut you and steal your job I think you might be a bit fed up. However a good RIB supplier will understand that clients do have budgets and if you are fair with them I think they may just help but dont expect major savings.

Cheers

John
www.quinquari.co.uk
Old 29 September 2005, 20:38   #12

Town: Fareham
Why copy a design already in circulation. Design your own and have something unique. You'll still get it cheaper!
Old 01 October 2005, 05:53   #13

Town: Fairbanks
Boat name: Medved
Make: Solar
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 Tohatsu
MMSI: 007
rude

Yes, it is rude. I know from where you come on this deal, but if you are going to undercut the guy, it is "better" (somehow) to do it on your own (IMHO). I build a lot of my own stuff, and I also manufacture stuff for sale. I sometimes steal ideas from other people's stuff, and I get people in other cities that want to buy one of my creations "to try it". I know they are copying it, but I have no patent, so.... I suck up. Copying someone else's product is thievery, plain and simple, as they probably have lots of expensive R&D in it.(Repeat: I steal ideas now and then, too.) I'd suggest you make it "legal" and find another boat with one already on it and copy that one. That shouldn't wee off your sales guy. (Ribcraft, in Marblehead? Say Hi to Adam, et al, if those are the folks w/ whom you are working.)
Old 01 October 2005, 08:00   #14

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklingel
Yes, it is rude. I know from where you come on this deal, but if you are going to undercut the guy, it is "better" (somehow) to do it on your own (IMHO). I build a lot of my own stuff, and I also manufacture stuff for sale. I sometimes steal ideas from other people's stuff, and I get people in other cities that want to buy one of my creations "to try it". I know they are copying it, but I have no patent, so.... I suck up. Copying someone else's product is thievery, plain and simple, as they probably have lots of expensive R&D in it.(Repeat: I steal ideas now and then, too.) I'd suggest you make it "legal" and find another boat with one already on it and copy that one. That shouldn't wee off your sales guy. (Ribcraft, in Marblehead? Say Hi to Adam, et al, if those are the folks w/ whom you are working.)
I think that's a bit strong, he only wants to make a frame for himself! If he was "splashing" a design for gain your dead right, it's unethical and illegal in the case of patents.

On a personal point though, I would never try to copy a design but improve on it!