Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 05 April 2016, 17:31   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,279
Oh yes of course it was you with the oars Steve. I'm considering an upgrade to decent wooden paddles at the very least and oars as a possibility.
__________________

__________________
Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2016, 03:20   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,574
after gurnards post i had a good look at the FRIB they do a sailing version now i am not a sailor at all and no nothing but would there be any benifit in a simple sailing rig for a sib ?
__________________

__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2016, 04:16   #13
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
after gurnards post i had a good look at the FRIB they do a sailing version now i am not a sailor at all and no nothing but would there be any benifit in a simple sailing rig for a sib ?
There were inflatable sailing boats (folding hull) before. The biggest issue with sailing a sib is that with a flat bottom and no centreboard it will go sideways rather than upwind. That is once you find a way to mount a mast (the forces are pretty big and in various different directions) which will be hard on a squishy hull. then you need a rudder of some sort (an o/board will just create drag and poor steering). So as a sailing experience it would at least be a lot of hassle, and probably not very good. As an improvised alternative source of propulsion it might work if you aren't too worried about the direction of travel and the wind happens to be strong enough to move, but not so strong it causes you a problem!
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2016, 04:58   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
There were inflatable sailing boats (folding hull) before. The biggest issue with sailing a sib is that with a flat bottom and no centreboard it will go sideways rather than upwind. That is once you find a way to mount a mast (the forces are pretty big and in various different directions) which will be hard on a squishy hull. then you need a rudder of some sort (an o/board will just create drag and poor steering). So as a sailing experience it would at least be a lot of hassle, and probably not very good. As an improvised alternative source of propulsion it might work if you aren't too worried about the direction of travel and the wind happens to be strong enough to move, but not so strong it causes you a problem!
fair point poly and i suppose enough wind-age on a sib anyway to blow you away/toward.

cheers
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2016, 05:21   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,279
>>>enough wind-age on a sib anyway to blow you away/toward.

Any if the wind direction was helpful you could always untuck your shirt and stand with your arms out!
__________________
Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2016, 06:32   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>enough wind-age on a sib anyway to blow you away/toward.

Any if the wind direction was helpful you could always untuck your shirt and stand with your arms out!
with the size of my shirt i could enter a yacht race.
__________________

__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.