Old 05 April 2016, 17:23   #1

Rowing a sub 4m Rib??????

Just a quick query?
How well would a small Rib row in a chop and against a slight tidal flow / wind.
Wondering as I'm intending on getting a Highfield 380 CL next year.
Having tried to row my 3.5m Honwave Sib against a strong tidal flow and brisk breeze several years ago I discovered I was onto plumbs after thrashing around aimlessly.
After this I have carried a small auxiliary - just in case......
I'm sure the Highfield will row better than my Honwave Sib question is will the hard hull row well enough to negate carrying an auxiliary just to get out of harms way or to get to a place of safety???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1459876800110.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	111781  
Old 05 April 2016, 18:11   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
If the high field was 5 times better would you have said that will do on the day you paddled your honwave?.if you chose to use an aux before why would there be less risk with the new boat?.

Cheers
Old 05 April 2016, 18:56   #3

Hi Jeff I'm just looking at the Highfield transom and wondering if I can actually fit an auxiliary on it along with my Tohatsu 20hp 4 stroke - hence my query.
I will be fitting transom wheels to it so I'll need to get out the measuring tape and see if I can squeeze an auxiliary in too (need to consider the design of the wheels carefully) .
Might just carry my little 2.2hp Suzuki 2 stroke on board in a home made padded carrier - tied down to the floor???
I went to a bit of bother to fit an aux bracket to my Honwave.
I might make another bolt on bracket to carry the outboard tilted up suspended over the tube (like my honwave) If i make a carrier i could move the main engine to the side and lift the auxiliary onto the transom next to the main engine (might be limited steering).
I'm thinking the eyelets on the Highfield for lifting it will need to go - thereafter extend the transom engine pad accross.
The main engine would need to be loosened and slid accross to the side.
This will be complicated due to the transom strengtheners - one of the engine clamps will need to come up and over and straddle the inside of the strengthener nearest the tube?

Just food for thought.
Wondering as I was out kayaking in thd Indian Ocean today and I could fairly row it along
Old 05 April 2016, 19:55   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I had an Aerotec with row locks fitted and it actually worked pretty well. I wouldn't want to go very far, but it was functional.

I reckon the Highfield would be at least as good, and probably better.
Old 05 April 2016, 20:33   #5

Thanks for that John.
I'm really hoping to have some sort of mechanical / auxiliary propulsion for the Rib.
My thinking at the moment is to make a bracket for the port side of the transom to carry the auxiliary suspended partially over the port tube free from obstructing the tiller.
This bracket would be shaped up and around the tube and be able to be unbolted from the transom if required.
Possibly metal or some heavy duty plastic or wood???
When the aux is to be deployed loosen the primary engine and move it as far to Port as possible.
Lift the aux off its carrier and move it to the starboard side and clamp into position as depicted in my scribbles.
Been carrying my aux on my Honwave using this method but the carrier bracket is too bulky to allow both engines to be hung on the transom simultaneously.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1459888365483.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	111787  
Old 05 April 2016, 20:34   #6

Scribbles
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1459888476387.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	111788  
Old 05 April 2016, 21:04   #7

RIBase
Totally understand where your coming from OMO on my fast fisher & rib I had an aux reason no chance of paddling on my sib I will only have the 25 + paddles reason same as you no room basically,plus new engine well maintained, good anchor x2, radio x 2, PLB, flares and usual precautions & confidence in my abilities, expeariance & the boat.

Cheers
Old 05 April 2016, 21:11   #8

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>no chance of paddling on my sib I will only have the 25 + paddles reason same as you no room basically,plus new engine well maintained, good anchor x2, radio x 2, PLB, flares and usual precautions & confidence in my abilities, expeariance & the boat.

Ditto! I will never put an aux on a SIB for my day out type boating. Different I reckon if adventuring and overnighting etc.

John K any images of your oar/rowlock setup? When another member decided to do this to his Aerotec I was sceptical but I'm considering it now.
Old 05 April 2016, 21:29   #9

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
Hi Kaman

I fitted rowlocks to my sib and have to say i think it rows great. I fitted them as i fish, sometimes tight into shore and find them great for this. Im not sure i could rely on them if the wind picked up though. No doubt the highfield will row better.

If im going any distance from shore ill carry an aux with me and also have launch wheels fitted but just take the launch wheel off and put the aux in its place. I have to modify the aux transom clamp to fit over the launch wheel pin housing but it all seems to work well.
Old 05 April 2016, 21:31   #10

Howdy guys.
I should have mentioned earler the reason I deployed the Sibs oars a few years back was due to running out of petrol in my 12 litre tank.
I had a 5 litre refill can but thot we are only 400 yards from the harbour ....... just row her in.
My old man took to the oars - tide going out plus wind blowing out to sea from the shore.
Despite rowing furiously we continued to be washed out to sea.
No big deal but I had to top up the 12 litre tank for the tohatsu 20hp.
One pull and away we went.
Did nothing other than illustrate how ineffective oars on a Sib can be in certain circumstances.
I've never needed my aux since I fitted it, but always peace of mind to have.
I will have a fixed VHF and handheld for the Highfield as well as 2 anchors.
Might invest in a PLB......?
I do like my overnighters and intend doing a fair bit of Island hopping so having a wee egg beater on the back for back up propulsion would be good.
Time and mathematics will dictate whether or not I hang an egg beater off the back or not
Old 05 April 2016, 21:31   #11

Oh yes of course it was you with the oars Steve. I'm considering an upgrade to decent wooden paddles at the very least and oars as a possibility.
Old 06 April 2016, 07:20   #12

RIBase
after gurnards post i had a good look at the FRIB they do a sailing version now i am not a sailor at all and no nothing but would there be any benifit in a simple sailing rig for a sib ?
Old 06 April 2016, 08:16   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
after gurnards post i had a good look at the FRIB they do a sailing version now i am not a sailor at all and no nothing but would there be any benifit in a simple sailing rig for a sib ?
There were inflatable sailing boats (folding hull) before. The biggest issue with sailing a sib is that with a flat bottom and no centreboard it will go sideways rather than upwind. That is once you find a way to mount a mast (the forces are pretty big and in various different directions) which will be hard on a squishy hull. then you need a rudder of some sort (an o/board will just create drag and poor steering). So as a sailing experience it would at least be a lot of hassle, and probably not very good. As an improvised alternative source of propulsion it might work if you aren't too worried about the direction of travel and the wind happens to be strong enough to move, but not so strong it causes you a problem!
Old 06 April 2016, 08:58   #14

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
There were inflatable sailing boats (folding hull) before. The biggest issue with sailing a sib is that with a flat bottom and no centreboard it will go sideways rather than upwind. That is once you find a way to mount a mast (the forces are pretty big and in various different directions) which will be hard on a squishy hull. then you need a rudder of some sort (an o/board will just create drag and poor steering). So as a sailing experience it would at least be a lot of hassle, and probably not very good. As an improvised alternative source of propulsion it might work if you aren't too worried about the direction of travel and the wind happens to be strong enough to move, but not so strong it causes you a problem!
fair point poly and i suppose enough wind-age on a sib anyway to blow you away/toward.

cheers
Old 06 April 2016, 09:21   #15

>>>enough wind-age on a sib anyway to blow you away/toward.

Any if the wind direction was helpful you could always untuck your shirt and stand with your arms out!
Old 06 April 2016, 10:32   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>enough wind-age on a sib anyway to blow you away/toward.

Any if the wind direction was helpful you could always untuck your shirt and stand with your arms out!
with the size of my shirt i could enter a yacht race.

Tags
rib