Old 27 April 2015, 11:56   #11
Length: 7m +
Paper Charts, latest Nautical Almanac, Latest Tidal Flow Book, Weather Sites (for the areas your going to go through) plus grab a copy of RYA passage planning. Might also be worth doing a quick course with someone or a refresher on navigation if you haven't practiced much recently.

Top Tip, dont rely on electronic nav aids, cos Capatain Murphies law dictates when you really need it, it will probably malfunction.

Sounds like a good trip, take some photos for us all and best of luck, hope weather is great for you.

boristhebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2015, 12:21   #12
Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
Thanks guys. I will check Bing again and see if I can do as you suggest Poly.

I do prefer paper maps, but only have one so far (will buy more later) However, while at work with a fast internet connection and boring conference calls I can pass the time away by looking at maps online

Jeff, thanks for your offer - I will check and see what I do have on my PC at home and come back to you.
This is a screenshot of the chart zoomed in to the North of the island
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsica 1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	104829  

Jeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2015, 12:26   #13
Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Deepsea
Make: Bwm 18
Engine: Mariner 100hp, +4hp
Hi Trimix,
try Google Earth, go to tools/ ruler/ path, you can measure any distance you like.

kerlstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2015, 21:38   #14
Town: Willow Beach
Boat name: Miss Kimi
Make: Highfield OM 540DL
Engine: Johnston 70 4 stroke
Here is another terrific one that calculates distance between waypoints that you click on the map .
Click on the waypoints toolbar then zoom in to where you want to go, click a waypoint,then a second one and so on. It adds it all up in distance.
Navigation tools - Google Maps Distance Calculator
It measures in Nautical miles.
To convert to kilometers go here Nautical Miles to Kilometers table
r3tmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2015, 01:55   #15
Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Cinsirrah III
Make: Oceans
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin D3 160 Diesels
MMSI: 235089712
Low Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2015, 02:59   #16
Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
Ah, brilliant - thanks guys, there's plenty of useful info for me to waste away several hours of planning / daydreaming

The good thing about where I'm going is that there are no tides (well, only an inch or two at most) the weather stays the same for long periods of time, so if its flat and sunny it will be like that for weeks. Even when its not, the waves are big rolling swells, not that choppy mess we get in the Solent. I did some experimentation over Xmass in some large rollers, just surfing on the top, or scooting along in the trough. They were large and predictable.

Unlike the Solent its also pretty simple for Navigation. But I will take a backup compass / paper map / GPS etc. Its quite mountainous so you can just point the boat at the next headland as you can see it miles away. If the weather does start to change I can zip back to my start/end point in double quick time. I'm also taking two 20L jerry cans of fuel just in case. Fuel is only at the main marinas and they are far apart.

I've got a decent range at cruising speed, trouble is when its flat and sunny its so easy to think cruising is 45knotts

I'm also planning on a few nights where I will bivy on the beach in some of the isolated coves along the way. So a line and bait as well as something to start a fire will be added to the list of stuff to take.
Trimix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2015, 18:23   #17
Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Maybe a bit laborious but free..... I have used a combo of Google maps <right click -what's here> to generate a lat-long then paste into EasyGPS.

EasyGPS is a free download. Set it to your preferred gps and it will export the waypoints, routes etc to your plotter.

Also keep an eye on MemoryMap. Software is a bit clunky but they do have some spectacular mapping offers every so often ....
9D280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2015, 19:24   #18
RIBnet supporter
Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
At home I use Google Earth on PC and The Fly to Me series of zaps on my iPhone for planning so far okay
Measure no

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
'Carpe Diem'
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2015, 13:19   #19
RIBnet supporter
Town: Bushey & La Bretagne
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
Any reason not to use Garmin homeport? It's quite easily available online if you know where to look, as are the maps so you don't need the card from the boat. It can do fuel calcs and you can do as many routes as you want and then put onto the plotter. There is also the equivalent for iPad which you can then sync wirelessly when you get to the boat.
gotchiguy is offline   Reply With Quote