Old 11 April 2008, 17:44   #1

Length: 8m +
Round Uk Rib - Advice Wanted

I am about to buy a RIB to support an 18ft Hobie Catamaran sailing around mainland UK this summer
Please can i have advise on:

1. What is the best boat outboard combination for the job. Bear in mind that i will sell it in 12 months!

2. New V's Used - which is best?

3. On a new 785 Ribeye with a 250 Yamaha outboard, what discount can i expect?

4. Does anybody have the perfect boat for the job at a sensible price?
Old 11 April 2008, 18:00   #2

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Hi, Finley and Welcome, Check out HERE a good all round Rib Ideal for the seas you could encounter, dealer maintained as I read it.
Good luck
Old 11 April 2008, 20:41   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
I think for a voyage like this I would prefer to be in something like this. The cheaper red diesel and its readily availability rather than petrol would also be a major consideration.

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/LYM112

Pete
Old 12 April 2008, 20:51   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
How about something hardy with a bit of shelter (soft-top) and a new engine... These things can really take a bit of weather.

Listed under Preowned Boats at www.redbayboats.com

I'm not sure what it's real value is, but it seems well specced. I'd be concerned too about the ready availability of petrol in some northern ports - but I guess you will have shore support in place! The boat shown should have a 180litre internal tank - that's a fair bit of mileage following a, erm, yacht?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.5Console.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	33998   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.5internal.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	33999  
Old 12 April 2008, 23:04   #5
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
I'd agree with Pete - petrol availability around parts of the UK is poor and a 7mtr/250 is going to drink a fair amount.

Having said that the PAC doesn't offer much shelter which I think you'll want - even if its just a big console/screen to keep the spray off.

The redbay with a diesel engine would be good.
Old 12 April 2008, 23:47   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL View Post
The redbay with a diesel engine would be good.
well, there is that 8.4 sterndrive for 42k
Old 13 April 2008, 04:49   #7

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Kikican
Make: Vipermax 7
Length: 7m +
Engine: F250 / FT9.9 Aux
Finley,

Can you provide more details of your trip? Where are you starting from? Clockwise or anti clockwise? etc. Are you going to hug the Moray firth coast or cross from Rattray head?

Give me a shout if you need any shore support around the north east of Scotland by Peterhead - good place to come ashore in all weathers - marina for the rib, very sheltered and rock free beach with a compound for the cat. Next stop to the south is probably Stonehaven 35 miles or so away (pub next to slip!). Next stop along the Moray coast is probably Banff (40 miles at least?) Good marina and a small beach for the cat (friend there has a Hobie 16 and an 8.5 metre Humber. 30 ish miles further on from there is Findhorn which has excellent facilities for both boats. Lots of beaches in between all these but they are all exposed and generally difficult to get to.

Can probably help with logistics - keep enough spares for my own cat (hurri cane 5.9) to build it twice over plus all the tools (wire spicers, lathes etc) plus accomodation etc. My trailer will carry your cat if you need to get it out of the water and it will fit in my garage if you need to do any repair work. Also know sailmaker in Aberdeen - 10 years Scottish cat champ -Tornados & Hurricane 5.9s. Jackie fixes all our sails, tramps and covers.

Cheers
Richard
Old 13 April 2008, 13:47   #8

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Selman View Post
Can you provide more details of your trip? Where are you starting from? Clockwise or anti clockwise? etc. Are you going to hug the Moray firth coast or cross from Rattray head?
Richard, you can download the bumf here:

http://www.scuttlebut.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=89

Old 13 April 2008, 14:07   #9

Town: Hamble
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I think for a voyage like this I would prefer to be in something like this. The cheaper red diesel and its readily availability rather than petrol would also be a major consideration.

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/LYM112

Pete
How on earth can an old nail like that be worth 12k.

I like the powertrim though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shed.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	34005  
Old 13 April 2008, 18:26   #10

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
How on earth can an old nail like that be worth 12k. I like the powertrim though.
I agree, how do these boat manufacturers justify there prices, outrageous

Having been round the top of Scotland with a petrol powered rib I would choose diesel next time.

Whist I accept there isn't much protection on a rib, one of those hobbie things has even less.

Pete
Old 17 April 2008, 17:26   #11

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Fin,

I don't say much on here anymore but this is a topic and an adventure close to my heart, having sailed a Tornado from Kent to France in 2006, and Essex to Belgium in 2007 and planning to hit the channel islands in a few months.

I live in Margate, so if you need any help between Essex and Sussex please do feel free to call on me.

It is interesting that richard (above) would seam to have the same credentials as me, a Hurricane 5.9 owner, with road trailer if you need it, good friend a sailmaker in Ramsgate and access to a selection of RIBs and another good friend an outboard mechanic. Give me a shout if you need any info on beaching, marinas, fuel availability etc etc down this end of the world.

I would very much love to help you out in a RIB support capacity but I already have enough business and sailing commitments this year! Should you be short of support in the RIB helm capacity for a section do feel free to get in touch, PM me through here and I will pass on all my contact details.

Daniel
Old 17 April 2008, 20:18   #12

Town: Huntly
Make: Searider 4.7
Engine: 75 Suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Selman View Post
Finley,

Next stop along the Moray coast is probably Banff (40 miles at least?) Good marina and a small beach for the cat

Cheers
Richard
Stay away from Banff it is CRAP you can't get in at low water, go to Whitehills instead much better marina access at any state of the tide and facilities, Showers, Laundry and Lounge room.
Old 18 April 2008, 09:11   #13

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANT View Post
Stay away from Banff it is CRAP you can't get in at low water, go to Whitehills instead much better marina access at any state of the tide and facilities, Showers, Laundry and Lounge room.
Sorry ALANT, I'm going to disagree.
I like Banff, especially since they've upgraded the harbour with new pontoons, and I've never had any tidal problems there. You also have the handy option of Macduff very close by and between the two they cover just about all the options you might need.
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2008, 09:37   #14

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Round Britain

Hi,

I dont know what sort of budget you have for this trip but there is a very good boat for sale here http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/LYM118

I have cruised alongside this scorpion on several occasions and she handles very well.

Hope that helps

Julian
Old 18 April 2008, 15:12   #15

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Your choice of boat needs to consider its role as a support vessel equally as much as its ability as an outright vessel, arguably more so.

The RIB will need to be highly manoeuvrable since the role will include (potentially) dinghy rescue (we've turtled 40mile offshore and had to tow upright) whilst as sea and towing and manoeuvring the Cat into marinas. We get the RIB to pass food and drink to the Cats whilst underway so a good helm and manoeuvrable RIB is key here. The RIB will need to be suited to towing the Cat and manoeuvring around it at speed with minimal wash as well as potentially beaching - something an outdrive is less suited to. Clearly fuel type and capacity are important.

As nice as many of the cited boats are, IMHO I don’t think a large diesel rib is suited to this application.

It may help if illustrate what vessel we have and how we use it since we undertake similar, if slightly less ludicrous missions as you!

We have a RicTec 6.5 & 140 4-stroke package. It’s a Suzuki, but that’s largely irrelevant. 150li tank, which is woefully inadequate. Side-by side console, jockey seating, both of which I would consider essential to your application.

Fitting a tanoy (big F’ing speaker) was a great move.

We carry an additional 100li of fuel on the deck in a mix of connectable-tanks and jerry cans. Jerry cans are a good choice since you can always walk (EG: Alderney) or get a cab to a petrol station. Get the biggest built-in tank you can, my Osprey had a 220li tank, so a worthy contender.

The 140hp struggles to keep up with a Tornado on a reach in a breeze and a big sea, particularly when fully loaded with fuel but can just. Its a performance / consumption balance – this is a not a speed boat, it’s a support boat, and an economical one at that using 1li per nm.

In summary, don’t rule out diesel, but don’t buy an 8m twin diesel rig, my ideal RIB – perhaps, but a good beach cat support boat, no.

All in my opinion, of course.
Old 18 April 2008, 16:05   #16
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Daniel - probably all reasonable points but
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
...or get a cab to a petrol station....
Finley needs to be aware that in the remote parts of Scotland even if their are petrol stations within sensible distances from the harbour there often is no taxi service.