Old 17 April 2008, 13:26   #11

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam HPDI 250
Fin,

I don't say much on here anymore but this is a topic and an adventure close to my heart, having sailed a Tornado from Kent to France in 2006, and Essex to Belgium in 2007 and planning to hit the channel islands in a few months.

I live in Margate, so if you need any help between Essex and Sussex please do feel free to call on me.

It is interesting that richard (above) would seam to have the same credentials as me, a Hurricane 5.9 owner, with road trailer if you need it, good friend a sailmaker in Ramsgate and access to a selection of RIBs and another good friend an outboard mechanic. Give me a shout if you need any info on beaching, marinas, fuel availability etc etc down this end of the world.

I would very much love to help you out in a RIB support capacity but I already have enough business and sailing commitments this year! Should you be short of support in the RIB helm capacity for a section do feel free to get in touch, PM me through here and I will pass on all my contact details.

Daniel

Old 17 April 2008, 16:18   #12

Town: Huntly
Make: Searider 4.7
Length: 4m +
Engine: 75 Suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Selman View Post
Finley,

Next stop along the Moray coast is probably Banff (40 miles at least?) Good marina and a small beach for the cat

Cheers
Richard
Stay away from Banff it is CRAP you can't get in at low water, go to Whitehills instead much better marina access at any state of the tide and facilities, Showers, Laundry and Lounge room.

Old 18 April 2008, 05:11   #13

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANT View Post
Stay away from Banff it is CRAP you can't get in at low water, go to Whitehills instead much better marina access at any state of the tide and facilities, Showers, Laundry and Lounge room.
Sorry ALANT, I'm going to disagree.
I like Banff, especially since they've upgraded the harbour with new pontoons, and I've never had any tidal problems there. You also have the handy option of Macduff very close by and between the two they cover just about all the options you might need.
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2008, 05:37   #14

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Round Britain

Hi,

I dont know what sort of budget you have for this trip but there is a very good boat for sale here http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/LYM118

I have cruised alongside this scorpion on several occasions and she handles very well.

Hope that helps

Julian
Old 18 April 2008, 11:12   #15

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam HPDI 250
Your choice of boat needs to consider its role as a support vessel equally as much as its ability as an outright vessel, arguably more so.

The RIB will need to be highly manoeuvrable since the role will include (potentially) dinghy rescue (we've turtled 40mile offshore and had to tow upright) whilst as sea and towing and manoeuvring the Cat into marinas. We get the RIB to pass food and drink to the Cats whilst underway so a good helm and manoeuvrable RIB is key here. The RIB will need to be suited to towing the Cat and manoeuvring around it at speed with minimal wash as well as potentially beaching - something an outdrive is less suited to. Clearly fuel type and capacity are important.

As nice as many of the cited boats are, IMHO I donít think a large diesel rib is suited to this application.

It may help if illustrate what vessel we have and how we use it since we undertake similar, if slightly less ludicrous missions as you!

We have a RicTec 6.5 & 140 4-stroke package. Itís a Suzuki, but thatís largely irrelevant. 150li tank, which is woefully inadequate. Side-by side console, jockey seating, both of which I would consider essential to your application.

Fitting a tanoy (big Fíing speaker) was a great move.

We carry an additional 100li of fuel on the deck in a mix of connectable-tanks and jerry cans. Jerry cans are a good choice since you can always walk (EG: Alderney) or get a cab to a petrol station. Get the biggest built-in tank you can, my Osprey had a 220li tank, so a worthy contender.

The 140hp struggles to keep up with a Tornado on a reach in a breeze and a big sea, particularly when fully loaded with fuel but can just. Its a performance / consumption balance Ė this is a not a speed boat, itís a support boat, and an economical one at that using 1li per nm.

In summary, donít rule out diesel, but donít buy an 8m twin diesel rig, my ideal RIB Ė perhaps, but a good beach cat support boat, no.

All in my opinion, of course.
Old 18 April 2008, 12:05   #16
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Daniel - probably all reasonable points but
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
...or get a cab to a petrol station....
Finley needs to be aware that in the remote parts of Scotland even if their are petrol stations within sensible distances from the harbour there often is no taxi service.