Old 04 September 2013, 09:39   #61

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Length: 6m +
Engine: evinrude 135hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siochair View Post
I don't know about anyone else but I found myself absolutely enthralled by the tales on here from (Oops! Almost said the competitors) the participants. Everyday on here we were treated to riveting narratives of the adventure.

I was eagerly awaiting each new installment and update as they came in.

The guys who I had the most admiration for were those who were doing this off their own backs, and doing for the Challenge, which was exactly as it was promoted, not a race.

The adventures, hardships, highs and lows that we were treated to daily were enough to keep me wanting to know more, and to hear more updates. I read of the challenge before it started, and wished I was there, I read the threads during the buildup, and wished I was there, I read the updates and wished I was there, even during the bad weather, and the long days, I wished I was there, and in the future I hope I could be, but if I thought that the same final press release would be put out, I would not wish to be there!

The stories did not need embelishing with tales of 75Mph winds, and other crap. This really put a sour note on the event, as it was enough of a challenge to compete, and complete the challenge.

Obviously for some, there was bad luck involved and for whatever reason, some entrants could not complete the entire challenge , or needed assistance.

I have only so far seen the comments of 1 person/team who seem to think that they need to gloss over that fact and basically pretend they completed the whole challenge, and to boot, won a race that never was.

This I find very selfish, and is insulting to the other teams. this seems to be in direct contradiction to so many other comments from other teams about team spirit, helping each other, and comraderie. However as I did not take part, I cannot really put words into the mouths of the other teams, but thank them all for their words, blogs/updates, and to let them know, that I think of all the teams except team Mazda, to be the real challenge winners.

Old 04 September 2013, 10:02   #62

Town: Plymouth
So it would seem team Madza may claim to have won the "race" but have lost all credibility in doing so! That's a nice return for their investment

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk ~ 07930 421007

Old 04 September 2013, 10:36   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
So it would seem team Madza may claim to have won the "race" but have lost all credibility in doing so! That's a nice return for their investment

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk ~ 07930 421007
In my eyes yes.

If a company support claims by an individual which turn out to be false, then it makes you wonder what other "little white lies" they may be happy to tell you. Maybe all of Mazda's advertising, and "facts" about their products should be taken with the same pinch of salt?

Not a very good advert for Mazda for sure.

Not that I am thinking of buying a Mazda, but if I were, and I knew this story, I would be thinking again
Old 04 September 2013, 10:37   #64
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
No comment from the team in question? I see they've been checking the thread at least twice a day since it started.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 September 2013, 10:42   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
No comment from the team in question? I see they've been checking the thread at least twice a day since it started.
Maybe he is lost for words
Old 04 September 2013, 11:17   #66

Town: Salisbury/Poole
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Probably to busy reporting back to Mazda how this forum is discussing the Article and the "Race" and what a positive and longlasting impression the "Race" has made on Fourmites and how enthralled we all are at their great Victory !!
Old 04 September 2013, 11:35   #67

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
Getting a bit tired of all the Tom and Hugo knocking by a load of arm-chair
critics. The event was fantastic and greatly enjoyed by all those who participated.It's Tom's job to get every bit of publicity for his sponsors that he can and he is not the first nor will he be the last journalist to gild the lily.

I for one couldn't give a damn what label was put on the event Cruise,Race,
Challenge or whatever Bring on the next one Hugo and put my name down now
Old 04 September 2013, 12:17   #68

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
M. Thornton. I would have to agree there sometimes appears to be a bais against HMS and now TMS which I find unpleasent. I have never met HMS or TMS but reading and reviewing events orgainsed by HMS has brought me a lot of pleasure over the years
TSM
Old 04 September 2013, 12:30   #69
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
I am inclined to agree with Mike on this.
I would do the event again in a heart beat whether or not it was called a race, challenge or a dog and pony show.
I would happily do it as a private entrant as before, but if an opportunity came along for some or all of the considerable costs associated with doing it to be absorbed by a sponsor or ten, yes.... I would dance with the devil to get to the finish line. The press releases are clumsy spiel, they read like Mazda's PR department junior has been at work and maybe they have. We like the thought of plucky amateurs battling through etc, so I understand why this seems so at odds and wrankles, but I dont think this thread is helping anyone now, its just dragging something I remember as a brilliant experience through the dirt.
Old 04 September 2013, 13:04   #70

Length: 7m +
I can understand many of your frustrations, from an outsiders point of view it does tend to suggest very strongly that he 'won' the 'race' which is a shame as it distracts from the main reason for the event being the challange, the team effort and not to mention the charity fund raising oppourtunity.

I greatly enjoyed reading the post updates while the event was taking part.

Maybe its just some PR person from mazda getting it very wrong.

Maybe he just needs to explain about the PR, people understand mistakes and accept honesty but they dont forgive if no explanation given.

Your all winners in my view, well done for taking part, well done for completing and well done for raising some charity funds.

Best Wishes