RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
cetus,

May I recommend you read from my website, as follows;
especially the contents of Day 2 and Day3:

The Aran Islands 2004

and continue to take GOOD advice from the locals on here.

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2013, 16:48   #162

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLinley View Post
Please remember each morning there will be a drivers briefing. This will choose the correct course for each leg, taking into account the weather and tides of tat day.
Would that be the same type of briefing as on RS08
Old 03 March 2013, 10:49   #163
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
bit of a struggle but got all the accommodation booked this morning - looks to be a bit thin on the ground now in a few places - if anyone entered hasnt done so yet I would recommend they get on it now.
Old 31 March 2013, 12:32   #164
RIBnet supporter

as there are over 20 boats entered and some if not most of the crews must post on here, I wondered how everyone was getting on with their prep..? its almost a month since I posted on this thread last. I thought people may be sharing information etc, but I guess thats not the case and am assuming that people are being "competitive" about this for some reason. Suffice to say - if anyone wants to know anything about my plans, where I have booked accommodation etc or I can in some way help then I hope they will ask.
Andy
Old 31 March 2013, 13:37   #165
RIBnet supporter

Town: Poole
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustRib View Post
as there are over 20 boats entered and some if not most of the crews must post on here, I wondered how everyone was getting on with their prep..? its almost a month since I posted on this thread last. I thought people may be sharing information etc, but I guess thats not the case and am assuming that people are being "competitive" about this for some reason. Suffice to say - if anyone wants to know anything about my plans, where I have booked accommodation etc or I can in some way help then I hope they will ask.
Andy
Hi Andy
I've got to say I'm sticking my head in the sand a bit over accommodation - I'm hoping that I'll be able to find a camp site / field / someone's garden to camp in with a few day's notice once we get nearer to setting off. I can't help thinking that the weather might delay us a day or so which will throw all bookings out!

I'm just re-building my console to try and fit in the new large screen plotter (for a Searider), as well as working on how to fit the Coastal Pro Seats so I can still get to the storage under them - I think I'm there but I'll only really know once it's all together - Attached are a few pictures of the original console and where I'm up to so far...

I'm hoping to use the Easdale Rib Rendezvous and a week of Scottish cruising with Biboa at the start of May to give it a real test....
Anyone else taking their Round Ireland boat to Easedale?

Trev
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120605_123628.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	78181   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130122_090514.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	78182   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130122_090546.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	78183   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130327_193554.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	78184  
Old 31 March 2013, 14:59   #166
RIBnet supporter

Hi Trev

I bit the bullet with accomodation and allocated funds to do it. True what you say about short notice cancellations due to weather etc but I have been pretty successful at getting 24 hr notice - no charge cancellation bookings.
I had the most trouble at Kilmore Quay, but have got a B and B sorted now for the two times we visit there. The changes of stops have been frustrating, and I find the start location and its limited accommodation unusual as a choice.
I figured that the days will be hard enough and the thought of a tent if weather isnt great would be a little too punishing for me personally, it is supposed to be fun after all. However, I do realise that budget is an issue and if you are looking to save money when you can then camping in the good weather is a great idea.
If anyone wants to know where I booked and how much it was, am happy to supply a list if you PM me (thank goodness for Trip Advisor ..lol some of the reviews are priceless).
Kieron at Rib Shop has my boat at the moment, I had several jobs to be done and no time as work is really busy at the moment. He is rewiring, fitting some new electronics for me, Garmin 750, Icom 500 AIS, doing some work with some modular seat fixings, sorting some drain plug issues and tackling my smashed to pieces bilge pump !
Having some serious thought about a suspension seat but very hard to justify the cost. Interested to hear what those who have already fitted and used them think about that 5 or 6 inches of travel as opposed to regular jockey seat?? Trev - if you dont mind me asking, how much were the Coastal pro seats? I will pick the boat back up at the end of May and will do a couple of shake down runs... Maybe Newcastle - Berwick and a Newcastle - Whitby. Wont be able to make Easdale sadly.
I ordered my set of paper charts, still got new flare pack to get, as mine expired last november, pick up a few new ropes, and get a service on my trailer.
Not sure about the fuel tank situation - the Rib has a 200 litre tank already, more concerned about whether I need a portable plastic tank of some size to get fuel transported to the boat. If I got one, only have one location to keep it, and dimensions are not standard - 390mm high, 220mm wide, and 710mm long - cant see anything standard that works for that size hole. Once that resolved then I think I am set.
Old 02 April 2013, 08:33   #167

Town: Mönchengladbach
Boat name: Cetus
Make: Ribcraft 4.8 m
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 211188510
Accommodation

Which "changes of stops" are you referring to? The ones I know of are dating back a couple of months. Or have I missed something?
Old 02 April 2013, 10:20   #168
RIBnet supporter

hi...see below - came out 16th March

Last week we were contacted by the authorities at Kilrush to say that the funding for the anticipated dredging for the marina’s low water access is likely to be delayed and therefore will not be completed prior to the visit of our Round Ireland flotilla. Especially with the numbers involved, we cannot take any chances on access in or out of this RI port of call and therefore have made the decision to change our plans to stay in Fenit instead. The distance from Rossmoney/Clew Bay is very similar even though Fenit is further south of Kilrush.

We apologise for this necessary change to the arrangements, but the good news is that there will be distinct advantages in substituting Fenit for Kilrush; namely, no potential access complications, a large modern marina with good services, a community which is extremely keen to welcome us and push out all the stops to accommodate the teams, plus, thanks to our local contact in Fenit, JP Brick, we now have the strong likelihood of a petrol browser being made available to not only fuel the boats in Fenit but also Dingle as well.

Bearing in mind the relatively limited distance onto Dingle, our next port of call en-route, I would like to propose we make this next leg of our voyage a semi-lay-day, where depending on the weather, we can take the day at a more leisurely pace and seek to organise a group fishing expedition off the Blasket Islands to be followed by a beach barbecue where we shall cook our catch. We have done this here in the past with great success.

I also can confirm, as per our last RI update, that we will definitely being putting into Cork and utilising the facilities of the Royal Cork Yacht Club who have a 10,000 litre petrol tank available for our use, (in addition to a diesel pump). Please therefore see the amended Ports of Call schedule below which we are confident now stands as confirmed – even if more boats/teams do enter the Challenge.

26th July:
Milford Haven to Kilmore Quay – 70 miles)
Day One/27th July:
Kilmore Quay to Dun Laoghaire/Dublin – 85 miles
Day Two/28th July:
Dun Laoghaire to Bangor – 120 miles
Day Three/29th July:
Bangor to Killibegs – 175 miles, (Recommended half-way stop fuel stop - Coleraine).
Day Four/30 July:
Killibegs to Clew Bay/Rossmoney – 130 miles
Day Five/ 31st July:
Clew Bay/Rossmoney to Fenit - 145 miles
Day Six/1st August:
Fenit to Dingle – 65 miles
Day Seven/2nd August:
Dingle to Cork/Crosshaven - 140 miles
Day Eight/3rd August:
Cork/Crosshaven to Kilmore Quay - 70 miles
(4th August:
Kilmore Quay to Milford Haven – 70 miles)
Old 02 April 2013, 12:02   #169

Town: London/Devon
Make: Linley Swan /Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
@MustRib just thought I'd say im looking forward to seeing the RB4 Gemini again, great little boat which will be perfect for the trip.

I will be entering a 600 Ribeye, however all being well this little boat will be unlike any other Ribeye. I have purchased a Shockwave seating system among other items which should hopefully make the boat very special. I will post photos of the build through next month.

My plan for accommodation is to rent a motorhome type vehicle as I believe this will be the best solution.
Old 02 April 2013, 12:42   #170

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLinley View Post
. I have purchased a Shockwave seating system among other items which should hopefully make the boat very special. I will post photos of the build through next month.
Guys - when I read about your preparations - respectively your installations - I start feeling already a bit ashamed to show up in Milford Haven with my old SR5.4 "war ship" from '94 ...
Old 02 April 2013, 12:42   #171
RIBnet supporter

hi Tom
a Motorhome... great to have a support team !
The boat has had a retube since you will have last seen it, and some TLC to bring it back from the state in which I found it in a Cornish outbuilding. A heftier engine now than the Mariner 60 fitted for RB4 as well.

I am curious to see the pictures of your Ribeye fitted with Shockwave seating.
How big a fuel tank is fitted?
I am beginning to be concerned that everyone will be running some sort of suspension seating system - except for me!

Andy
Old 02 April 2013, 12:49   #172
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrider View Post
Guys - when I read about your preparations - respectively your installations - I start feeling already a bit ashamed to show up in Milford Haven with my old SR5.4 "war ship" from '94 ...
the Searider is a tried and tested Rib. I dont think you have anything to be ashamed of
Old 02 April 2013, 14:34   #173
Dhf

Length: no boat
Well I'm looking forward to seeing you lucky chaps as you set off from MH, I only wish I could join you on the full cruise, however I do hope to accompany for the first 20nm or so.
If anyone needs info on accomodation, trailer parking or launching around Milford Haven let me know.
I just hope the weathers better than in this vid from 30th Jan this year.

Old 02 April 2013, 15:11   #174

Town: London/Devon
Make: Linley Swan /Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha F150
Quote:
hi Tom
The boat has had a retube since you will have last seen it, and some TLC to bring it back from the state in which I found it in a Cornish outbuilding. A heftier engine now than the Mariner 60 fitted for RB4 as well.

I am beginning to be concerned that everyone will be running some sort of suspension seating system - except for me!

Andy
My ICE 2 is shipped in the next few weeks, the boat has been specially built for the seat however it is very tight indeed, 2cm clearance after its side movement either side! I have chosen the smaller of the seating configurations without the roof, on such a size boat I wanted to keep the center of gravity as low as possible. Therefore it will only have the two person layout on the suspension system. The boat has no A frame and a custom deck layout with fuel filler in the bow. The boat has 120L under-deck tank however I will have Flexi-Tanks on deck also.

From what I can remember your 550 was a soft riding boat, Jan survived fine on the RB4, im sure you will be fine. The only thing it had was a huge bow wave/wash, whenever we did a parade for photography, no one wanted to be along side her as they would get soaked
Old 02 April 2013, 15:54   #175

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
[QUOTE=TomLinley;526648
My plan for accommodation is to rent a motorhome type vehicle as I believe this will be the best solution.[/QUOTE]

Brilliant idea Tom and indeed the "best" solution - I wonder why no one else has thought of it.

BTW which one is has the remote control - the RIB or the motorhome?
Old 02 April 2013, 21:00   #176

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
is it tanya tate that is driving the motor home. she had a mobile home around ireland a year or two ago so she knows her way around ireland :0
Old 09 April 2013, 19:53   #177

Town: Cork
Boat name: Yorkie
Make: Humber 8 Metre Rib
Engine: Suzuki DF300
How many ribs are going around Ireland?
Old 09 April 2013, 20:39   #178

Town: Worcester
Boat name: MASH II
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yam 300hp 2 stroke
MMSI: 235064952
Last I heard there was talk of about 25 boats . Mostly RIBS and sizes btween 4.5m and 11m.
Old 16 April 2013, 08:56   #179

Town: Lisburn, outside Belfast
Boat name: Mad Tubes
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha F115
MMSI: 235070615
Quote:
hi Tom

Andy
Suspension seats sound great but too expensive for Cheryl and I on Mad Tubes. No suspension for us!
Old 16 April 2013, 17:01   #180

Town: Mönchengladbach
Boat name: Cetus
Make: Ribcraft 4.8 m
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 211188510
Team 15 will also go "unsuspended"! Maybe HMS shouldn't pair both types of boats...