Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
Some in Crosshaven already!!!
Old 02 August 2013, 20:51   #462

Town: Bangor, Co Down
Boat name: Ribeye & Tremlett 15
Make: Ribeye & Tremlett 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha F40, Merc 500
Due to time commitments, two boats decided to travel to Crosshaven today, both boats Hot Lemon and Sherryvore arrived late this afternoon.
Info from the RI Facebook page, more info posted recently on their FB page.
T 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 August 2013, 21:32   #463
Spammer

Town: Stirling
Boat name: Macaw
Make: Parker 750 CC
Length: 7m +
Engine: VERADO 300XL OB
Round Ireland Powerboat and RIB Challenge 2013
Team Baby Blue suffered lost bolts on engine mounts on the run to Fenit. They have decided to trail to Crosshaven tonight with Team Linley Swans trailer, with the plan of running with Hot Lemon and Skerryvore onto Kilmore Quay, now outside the event.
Old 02 August 2013, 22:16   #464
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum Stewart View Post
Round Ireland Powerboat and RIB Challenge 2013
Team Baby Blue suffered lost bolts on engine mounts on the run to Fenit. They have decided to trail to Crosshaven tonight with Team Linley Swans trailer, with the plan of running with Hot Lemon and Skerryvore onto Kilmore Quay, now outside the event.
Alas, the delights of Dingle had waned and with a heavy heart and a light wallet - the crew of Skerryvore decided that they must answer the call of Crosshaven. So as the remaining Challenge craft rested in Dingle while the flock of Swans caught up by trailer, the Redbay Stormforce 950 and Team Suzuki joined Hot Lemon and a local 11m Redbay for a run around the coast. All well and no doubt getting turfed out of another pub for singing badly again...

Sic 'em Skerryvore!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-31 17.30.31.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	83578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Splash!.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	83579   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-08-01 11.35.38.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	83580  
Old 03 August 2013, 01:51   #465
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
while the flock of Swans caught up by trailer,
Collective noun is never a flock! A bank, a bevy or (in flight) a wedge perhaps. Although personally I prefer a "Lamentation of Swans"!
Old 03 August 2013, 07:17   #466

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post

Collective noun is never a flock! A bank, a bevy or (in flight) a wedge perhaps. Although personally I prefer a "Lamentation of Swans"!
Your right Poly a bevy or wedge

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2013, 08:35   #467

After he slagged me off for my little A on america the other day I wanna agree just to make a point but actually the meaning came across just fine so why the need to complain? It certainly wouldn't have made sense to my lower accadmic achieving head to have used lamentation of swans...

So what does it matter and stop interupting the stories from Ireland.
Old 03 August 2013, 09:41   #468

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
After he slagged me off for my little A on america the other day I wanna agree just to make a point but actually the meaning came across just fine so why the need to complain? It certainly wouldn't have made sense to my lower accadmic achieving head to have used lamentation of swans...

So what does it matter and stop interupting the stories from Ireland.
It was a bit of banter between friends. So lighten up it does not detract from the content of the thread in anyway!

Old 03 August 2013, 10:41   #469
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I'm fairly sure these ones were flockers...
Old 03 August 2013, 11:08   #470

LinleySwan's FB page says they are goging from dingle to Kilmore tommorrow. Hidden in a comment on the post about branding.

Just discovered another blog:
News List | Suzuki GB Marine

My one criticism of this event is that for people from the outside tryign to follow its all a bit disjointed. Considering some boats are sponsored I'm surprised the sponsors didn't want more press coverage (although maybe press coverage of 27 boats being wittled down to half of that is a bad thing - especially as it seems to be the big boys who've struggled the most!)
Old 03 August 2013, 11:17   #471

Make: Zodiac Mk I
"while the flock of Swans caught up by trailer"

I wonder if they knew the legend of Inishglora Island off the Mullet, Erris, County Mayo whilst passing?

The Children of Lir - Ireland Of The Welcomes

Agree totally with SS "for people from the outside trying to follow its all a bit disjointed"
Old 03 August 2013, 11:27   #472

RIBase
Agree totally re the readability of the thread but its a consequence of everybody trying their hardest to keep it going. I too would have thought there would have been a 'live' feed to here seeing as was about Ribs!

Old 03 August 2013, 11:58   #473

No Jambo I wasn't criticising the thread (even when I was talking about flocking swans!). Just that with ~30 boats there are probably over 30 places any news is going. There is no way to follow the stories in one place. That probably means I've missed something. That might just be a nice story, a tale of stength in adversity or ir might be someone saying "this bit of kit" is really good or really bad. Thats what the sponsors want...

I'd have expected a daily report on the RI website. The best its got is a twitter feed. That'd be useful if (a) it was linked to a hashtag #RI13 and all boats updated with it and (b) it had anything more recent than the boats being in Galway. I'm startign to sound all negative which is terrible - I know its been tough out there, I know some of the places they've been probably have poor internet services.

It was more an observation! But perhaps I was also thinking for any future event how useful it would be to get some web stats from who followed the event etc. Imagine strolling up to a potential sponsor and they say "We probably don't want to donate that £500 Garmin because we wont get enough advertising from it" and you being able to say "10,000 people followed the event on line last time. If we had a Garmin we'd be talking about it in our blog posts and you'd be getting coverage of how tough your bit of kit is to 10,000 people half of whom own a rib" or whatever... instead you can say "Well I could post something on my facebook page about it but no-one reads it". I think being organised through a magazine I expected more media coverage...

SeaSwift / Highfield should be jumping at the media coverage opportunity... ...Paul's posted about them only having had to change a light bulb is pretty fantastic (although why they didn't spec LEDs is beyond me!!!!) I fully expect to be looking to buy a 4-5m rib in 3-5 years time. The X-pro was already on my list, now so is a Highfield. Both from the same supplier ;-) (Mine wont be pink!)

So much opportunity for engine information, speeds, fuel consumption etc.

I'll stop my rant - these guys are out there to have fun. I shouldn't be expecting them to be postign stuff up on the net for me! And maybe if you do because you are sponsored you end up looking for the possitives in everything (At least one post on fbook seemed to be determined to say the boat was great despite these technical faults because they were 3d party kit... ...they put that kit on their boat!)
Old 03 August 2013, 12:09   #474
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatnomad View Post
Agree totally with SS "for people from the outside trying to follow its all a bit disjointed"
Yes. It's not surprising though, as it is/was very confusing on the ground and each day brought a new challenge or three. I had the advantage of doing day on/day off between the Suzuki Redbay and driving the Land Rover and so saw a bigger picture than some. Most of the boats had no land support and the teams were under immense pressure. Time to blog is not there, even I was kept moving all the time. Suzuki managed to keep info flowing on their page but it was about their story - not the other boats. Paul and Hugo seem to have kept a good flow of information going.

From a sponsors point of view, the story can be told afterwards. I know that everyone there has a tale to tell and photos to show. Donegaldan and I will get our heads back in order and dig out the good footage over the next few days.
Old 03 August 2013, 12:15   #475

I suppose the advantage of telling the story later is it means words can be thought about rather than posting "This XXXX [insert bit of kit provided by sponsor] is absolutely rubbish - glad I didn't buy it!"

Or posting "This XXXX is absolutely fantastic - every boat should have one" followed by a post the next day saying "Sadly the XXXX let us down and we are now parked on some rocks..."
Old 03 August 2013, 12:23   #476
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:

Yes. It's not surprising though, as it is/was very confusing on the ground and each day brought a new challenge or three. I had the advantage of doing day on/day off between the Suzuki Redbay and driving the Land Rover and so saw a bigger picture than some. Most of the boats had no land support and the teams were under immense pressure. Time to blog is not there, even I was kept moving all the time. Suzuki managed to keep info flowing on their page but it was about their story - not the other boats. Paul and Hugo seem to have kept a good flow of information going.

From a sponsors point of view, the story can be told afterwards. I know that everyone there has a tale to tell and photos to show. Donegaldan and I will get our heads back in order and dig out the good footage over the next few days.
I'd have expected more media hype from the magazine; perhaps having the editor and lead organiser on a jollyboard every day was not the best for comms. Given the support suzi have put in I am surprised they didn't insist on it.
Old 03 August 2013, 12:39   #477
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
I suppose the advantage of telling the story later is it means words can be thought about rather than posting "This XXXX [insert bit of kit provided by sponsor] is absolutely rubbish - glad I didn't buy it!"

Or posting "This XXXX is absolutely fantastic - every boat should have one" followed by a post the next day saying "Sadly the XXXX let us down and we are now parked on some rocks..."
Perhaps, but I think that having driven for 12 hours offshore, very few people will want to start writing when they land. I'm amazed at Paul Glatzel's energy!

I saw and heard about many of the issues. Water ingress nailed a few, sea damage a few, fuel a lot. I didn't see much trouble with sponsored kit - some lekkie issues and that's about it.
Old 03 August 2013, 12:47   #478

Make: Zodiac Mk I
Quote:
I'm amazed at Paul Glatzel's energy!

Yes,Paul's input (writing/photo's) is very very impressive after such long days at sea.Played a major part on the net.
AIS also.
Old 03 August 2013, 12:50   #479

Town: Bangor, Co Down
Boat name: Ribeye & Tremlett 15
Make: Ribeye & Tremlett 15
Engine: Yamaha F40, Merc 500
From RI Facebook page, flotilla are still in Dingle due to weather conditions and small craft warning, leaving tomorrow at 6am to Crosshaven for fuel and lunch, then onto to Kilmore Quay, total 160 miles and only one day late.

Good luck and safe trip to all.
T 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2013, 13:22   #480
Dhf

Length: no boat
I suspect many wouldn't bother buying the mag if all details and pics where availble for free on the net.
Fair play to those that have made it this far, and those that havn't.