Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 08 November 2013, 11:50   #41
Member
 
biffer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,848
I did round Britain in 1999. My feet went numb for about 3 months, round the top of Scotland were some big and I mean big rollers, a couple of notes from experience, Redbay is a tough boat but to heavy and to carry the fuel to do the legs it would be almost semi displacement for part of the way, scorpion again good boats but don't have much lift at slow speed and you can stuff them in a spectacular way, agree with a 30ft ish boat
A couple of my mates have the world record for the trip at 27hrs 10 mins
__________________

__________________
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2013, 11:53   #42
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,238
RIBase
Biffer

What boat did you use in 1999
__________________

__________________
two stroke mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2013, 11:58   #43
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,829
A big Zodiac with the thirstiest pair of outboards ever made. They spent more on fuel going from Portsmouth to Falmouth than I did on the whole trip! :banana:

Biff, the longest leg for next year's jaunt is only 170 miles so fuel shouldn't be too much problem for most people.
__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2013, 12:16   #44
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: woking
Boat name: Hummingbird
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: outboard, 300
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 99
Biff, what would you recommend/suggest as options ?
Many thanks
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
I did round Britain in 1999. My feet went numb for about 3 months, round the top of Scotland were some big and I mean big rollers, a couple of notes from experience, Redbay is a tough boat but to heavy and to carry the fuel to do the legs it would be almost semi displacement for part of the way, scorpion again good boats but don't have much lift at slow speed and you can stuff them in a spectacular way, agree with a 30ft ish boat
A couple of my mates have the world record for the trip at 27hrs 10 mins
__________________
topspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2013, 12:37   #45
Member
 
biffer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
Biffer What boat did you use in 1999
We had a special forces boat. A 940 Ali hurricane with twin Johnson V8 outboards on her
__________________
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2013, 12:39   #46
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,924
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
Redbay is a tough boat but to heavy and to carry the fuel to do the legs it would be almost semi displacement for part of the way
I was crew on the Round Ireland 2013 Suzuki/Redbay 950 for the longest 175 Nm leg around the North coast and later, on what was probably the wildest passage down the West coast. I was there when she refueled. At no stage did she get even close to "reserve" in her standard issue fuel tank.

Semi-displacement speeds?
__________________
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2013, 12:46   #47
Member
 
biffer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,848
Build a lighter rebay would be good or a coastline 8.5 or 10 m. They are good boats. With the coastline you would need to dictate the build. Again my old mate Parker ribs or or have a look to see if osprey will build a 10 m. Now there would be a good chance of you getting a good boat and the new management team getting there name up there. There are a number of badge boats out there but quite frankly I've lost touch in who's using who's hulls. Ballistic would be good at speed but a hard ride
__________________
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2013, 12:51   #48
Member
 
biffer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I was crew on the Round Ireland 2013 Suzuki/Redbay 950 for the longest 175 Nm leg around the North coast and later, on what was probably the wildest passage down the West coast. I was there when she refueled. At no stage did she get even close to "reserve" in her standard issue fuel tank. Semi-displacement speeds?
No disrespect to the Redbay but I had seen there build spec and there is no argument there are heavy. I've got a coastline 8.5 with one 240 diesel that does nearly 43knts. With standard tank I've got 600 mile range
__________________
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2013, 13:10   #49
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,829
That's a pretty impressive range. How big is your standard tank?
__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2013, 13:11   #50
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,924
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
No disrespect to the Redbay but I had seen there build spec and there is no argument there are heavy. I've got a coastline 8.5 with one 240 diesel that does nearly 43knts. With standard tank I've got 600 mile range
I wasn't contesting the weight of a Redbay, rather your statement that to complete a leg, one would need to carry so much fuel as to be capable of only semi displacement speed at the start. You are simply incorrect and appear to have overlooked or be unaware of the excellent showing the Team Suzuki boat made in the Round Ireland. Why would one lighten (weaken IMO) a successful formula like that for the Round Britain?
__________________

__________________
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.