Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 08 November 2013, 15:50   #41

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
I did round Britain in 1999. My feet went numb for about 3 months, round the top of Scotland were some big and I mean big rollers, a couple of notes from experience, Redbay is a tough boat but to heavy and to carry the fuel to do the legs it would be almost semi displacement for part of the way, scorpion again good boats but don't have much lift at slow speed and you can stuff them in a spectacular way, agree with a 30ft ish boat
A couple of my mates have the world record for the trip at 27hrs 10 mins
Old 08 November 2013, 15:53   #42

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
Biffer

What boat did you use in 1999
Old 08 November 2013, 15:58   #43
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
A big Zodiac with the thirstiest pair of outboards ever made. They spent more on fuel going from Portsmouth to Falmouth than I did on the whole trip! :banana:

Biff, the longest leg for next year's jaunt is only 170 miles so fuel shouldn't be too much problem for most people.
Old 08 November 2013, 16:16   #44

Town: woking
Boat name: Mid Life Crisis
Make: HM Powerboat
Length: 10m +
Engine: outboard, 2 x 400hp
Biff, what would you recommend/suggest as options ?
Many thanks
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
I did round Britain in 1999. My feet went numb for about 3 months, round the top of Scotland were some big and I mean big rollers, a couple of notes from experience, Redbay is a tough boat but to heavy and to carry the fuel to do the legs it would be almost semi displacement for part of the way, scorpion again good boats but don't have much lift at slow speed and you can stuff them in a spectacular way, agree with a 30ft ish boat
A couple of my mates have the world record for the trip at 27hrs 10 mins
Old 08 November 2013, 16:37   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
Biffer What boat did you use in 1999
We had a special forces boat. A 940 Ali hurricane with twin Johnson V8 outboards on her
Old 08 November 2013, 16:39   #46
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Redbay is a tough boat but to heavy and to carry the fuel to do the legs it would be almost semi displacement for part of the way
I was crew on the Round Ireland 2013 Suzuki/Redbay 950 for the longest 175 Nm leg around the North coast and later, on what was probably the wildest passage down the West coast. I was there when she refueled. At no stage did she get even close to "reserve" in her standard issue fuel tank.

Semi-displacement speeds?
Old 08 November 2013, 16:46   #47

Build a lighter rebay would be good or a coastline 8.5 or 10 m. They are good boats. With the coastline you would need to dictate the build. Again my old mate Parker ribs or or have a look to see if osprey will build a 10 m. Now there would be a good chance of you getting a good boat and the new management team getting there name up there. There are a number of badge boats out there but quite frankly I've lost touch in who's using who's hulls. Ballistic would be good at speed but a hard ride
Old 08 November 2013, 16:51   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I was crew on the Round Ireland 2013 Suzuki/Redbay 950 for the longest 175 Nm leg around the North coast and later, on what was probably the wildest passage down the West coast. I was there when she refueled. At no stage did she get even close to "reserve" in her standard issue fuel tank. Semi-displacement speeds?
No disrespect to the Redbay but I had seen there build spec and there is no argument there are heavy. I've got a coastline 8.5 with one 240 diesel that does nearly 43knts. With standard tank I've got 600 mile range
Old 08 November 2013, 17:10   #49
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
That's a pretty impressive range. How big is your standard tank?
Old 08 November 2013, 17:11   #50
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
No disrespect to the Redbay but I had seen there build spec and there is no argument there are heavy. I've got a coastline 8.5 with one 240 diesel that does nearly 43knts. With standard tank I've got 600 mile range
I wasn't contesting the weight of a Redbay, rather your statement that to complete a leg, one would need to carry so much fuel as to be capable of only semi displacement speed at the start. You are simply incorrect and appear to have overlooked or be unaware of the excellent showing the Team Suzuki boat made in the Round Ireland. Why would one lighten (weaken IMO) a successful formula like that for the Round Britain?
Old 08 November 2013, 17:19   #51
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I wasn't contesting the weight of a Redbay, rather your statement that to complete a leg, one would need to carry so much fuel as to be capable of only semi displacement speed at the start. You are simply incorrect and appear to have overlooked or be unaware of the excellent showing the Team Suzuki boat made in the Round Ireland. Why would one lighten (weaken IMO) a successful formula like that for the Round Britain?

As regards Coastlines, they certainly are a lighter build. I had a walk around one recently and was surprised to find some of the engine box mouldings flexing under my 13 stone. Nice boat for a Nice day!
Biff's isn't exactly a standard Coastline though. Nothing flexes on it apart from Biff's knees...

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2013, 17:20   #52

Now you know why I said you would need to dictate the build LOL. light isn't necessarily weak. No I haven't seem team Suzuki and I will listen to your side of it. We are obviously bias towards different boats
Old 08 November 2013, 17:25   #53

Town: Luxembourg
Boat name: Kalish
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175 Mercury Optimax
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo101 View Post
Can I change the tack of the thread a bit ..... Never done anything like this. Just how tough would this be? 7.5m rib with shock seats planned from one of the best with 250 engine. What extremes would I face and who should I have in the team?
What are the risks?
Hi,
well all risks are at your own side. you will receive a complete description of the challenge and several boxes to tick. as other people said, i'm pretty sure that your boat can do it. make sure that everything is done and well prepared for this challenge. and prepare your crew ...also for additional extra costs that this kind of challenge can bring. just keep in mind that it must be a pleisure and sail at your speed, coz trying to follow other boats can stopped you. during round of ireland not only small boats stopped but big ones too .... do not hesitate if you need more details !
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2013, 17:33   #54
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
We are obviously bias towards different boats
Actually, I must apologise for my observation regarding the Coastline as I had mixed it up with a similar boat of a different brand that I looked at the same day (brand to remain unmentioned and I have edited my post). My opinion of the Redbay 950 in question is immaterial as it did what it did.

Having set the record straight regarding any Redbay's ability to cruise (on the plane) 175 miles in a day on her standard issue tank/s - I'm going to bow out.

Old 08 November 2013, 17:53   #55

Early night on a Friday old mate?
Old 08 November 2013, 17:57   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Hi, well all risks are at your own side. you will receive a complete description of the challenge and several boxes to tick. as other people said, i'm pretty sure that your boat can do it. make sure that everything is done and well prepared for this challenge. and prepare your crew ...also for additional extra costs that this kind of challenge can bring. just keep in mind that it must be a pleisure and sail at your speed, coz trying to follow other boats can stopped you. during round of ireland not only small boats stopped but big ones too .... do not hesitate if you need more details !
You can definitely do it in almost anything. Before most of you were thinking of boat Fletcher did round Britain in 14 ft boat with a 28 ft zingaro as support. I owned the zingaro
Old 08 November 2013, 18:37   #57

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
I might come out to greet you all at the end of Leg 5 and tag along on the Lochy Lochy section of Leg 6

You will be passing my front door so its an excuse to get the Rib wet.

Inverness to Arbroath would be an epic undertaking!!
Old 08 November 2013, 18:52   #58

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I'd do it in 3.1 m Avon.....

I'm off to pub now!
Old 08 November 2013, 19:09   #59
Spammer

Town: Stirling
Boat name: Macaw
Make: Parker 750 CC
Length: 7m +
Engine: VERADO 300XL OB
Redbay ARE the best for long distance Crusing

Hello all,
I think I would be able to comment on the ability of a Redbay Boats RIB to carryout long passage making trips!!! YES the Redbay has a very heavy layup but this is why they are such good rough sea boats! Some of the trips I have done!!!
Scott rib 1997 - Fastest RIB out of Trarbet 6.1 with 150GT Johnston
Round Scotland 1998 - on leaving Kyles of loch ash we sailed passed the race fleet ribs at 48kn 6.1
Round Scotland 2000 - Did the round Scotland through the Caladonian canal.
Round Scotland 2002 - First RIBs to circumnavigate Scotland using the Forth and Clyde canal. There were four of us completed the trip and two of those were Redbays. A Valiant rib snapped its transom almost losing its twin 150hp outboards and retired at Scrabster.
2003 - Very exciting year for us with possibly one of the most famous Redbays, Timrous Beastie was born, 7.1 with 240hp inboard diesel. The long distances we covered in this rib was amazing. Met our diving mate in the Forth having launched at Queensferry. When he asked us where we were headed for he was pretty shocked when we informed him " FRANCE". What a super trip down the east coast, round the bottom via Cherbourg for lunch, early evening drinks in Cowes picking up the family in Southampton. Next stop Falmouth, onto Milford Haven, across to Dublin and back home to Cushendall (running on the green stuff) and finally back into the Clyde.
2005 - Left from Troon across to Cushendall and headed to Southampton via Isle of Man, Milford Haven and Dartmouth. Family time on the Solent.
2006 - Highlight of our boating career. Left Cushendall and headed North and East. Stopped at Tory island and enjoyed too much of the Irish hospitality with the King of Tory. Had a great encounter with a dolphin and Ben the dog who played for hours together in the harbour, I kid you not. Great trip down the West coast into Kinsale to meet up with Joe Mc Collam. (Naval architect extraordinaire). Bit of a nightmare trip up the East coast as weather turned against us but safely back into Cushendall for a few nights before returning once again to the Clyde.
2008 - Bought the flagship of the Redbay fleet at that time, 11mtr 630 horses. First big trip was down to the Isle of Scilly for a week of R and R. Travelled from Milford Haven in a force 5 to the Scilly in unbelievable comfort. Probably the best cruising package you could ever get.
This is just a very brief outline of some of our trips. One of the most memorable trips was to the North West 200 with my Dad and friends. The return trip was in a force 9 across the north channel and never at any time did I feel that the 11mtr was compromised.
I am sure Willk or the mods can post a line to our round Ireland to give a more detailed overview.
Old 08 November 2013, 19:10   #60

Town: London
Out of curiosity has anyone come up with a handicap system to create adjusted times (in a similar way that you would for sailing races)?

That would be quite a cool thing if someone has/could do it!

Tags
rib