RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I reckon that support crews with trailers is probably the best way to do it. It's not as straightforward as fueling at the quayside, but at least you can get supermarket prices
support crews? it just takes it further away from people trying to do it on a budget with a small outboard Rib, not a diesel Rib.
On Round Ireland last year, if there were any misgivings from local council, harbourmasters etc about the fuelling operation, I was not privy to them and the operation ran smoothly, with only supportive people on the quayside.
The friendliness and enthusiasm of everyone for the event was evident. When playing catch up to the event last year, and short of fuel I had to come into Wicklow, where the local street cleaner took me and 2 x 20 litre cans 3 miles to the local petrol station in his car. (ok he was smoking - but the window was open in the car )
The email from HMS said that this enthusiasm from officialdom at local level, was far from the case with Round Britain discussions on the fuelling issue. It seems like any 'organised' flotilla with a requirement for lots of petrol, is going to run into problems, whether fuelled from a professional tanker operation, or from a score of tow vehicles filled with plastic tanks.
I suspect, that apart from the H and S issues, licensing issues, associated with refuelling a flotilla, local councils like to know someone is responsible, culpability - in case of accident or pollution. As the event organiser do you accept that responsibilty for a fleet or Ribs, conducting their own refuelling operation?
Old 16 June 2014, 08:53   #162

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I think the 'support crew' can be a mate in a van/big car full of boat stuff towing a trailer just in case .

I agree that the numbers of boats seem to be stumbling block - look at Andres Parker currently going round - all 'low key' and seems to be running very well - albeit with the 'support crew ( a couple of guys in vans) and some prior planning of ports expecting them.

Old 16 June 2014, 09:58   #163
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
I think the 'support crew' can be a mate in a van/big car full of boat stuff towing a trailer just in case .

I agree that the numbers of boats seem to be stumbling block - look at Andres Parker currently going round - all 'low key' and seems to be running very well - albeit with the 'support crew ( a couple of guys in vans) and some prior planning of ports expecting them.
And diesel which is much more readily available "dock side".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrib
support crews? it just takes it further away from people trying to do it on a budget with a small outboard Rib, not a diesel Rib.
Its perfectly feasible, even with a petrol boat, with some careful planning if you are in no great rush and willing to accept that getting fuel is going to add to the adventure! Trying to do it with a few dozen ribs makes it much harder.
Old 16 June 2014, 10:18   #164
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustRib View Post
Doing it as part of a big organised event with extraordinary fuelling arrangements doesn't exactly fit that scenario either!
Old 16 June 2014, 10:20   #165
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Its perfectly feasible, even with a petrol boat, with some careful planning if you are in no great rush and willing to accept that getting fuel is going to add to the adventure! Trying to do it with a few dozen ribs makes it much harder.
Mike Garside did some very impressive cruising in his outboard powered boat a year or two ago, transporting petrol in jerry cans. He just got on with it on his own though.
Old 16 June 2014, 10:53   #166

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
I am giving serious consideration to doing a RI next year on my own as I would be hard pushed to pay the entrance fee and tanker charges with an orgainised event. I would look to start in Westport co Mayo and go from there. I would however welcome company

TSM
Old 16 June 2014, 12:15   #167
RIBnet supporter

Town: Crowthorne
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I reckon that support crews with trailers is probably the best way to do it. It's not as straightforward as fueling at the quayside, but at least you can get supermarket prices
You must have been spying on us!
Currently the above plan seems to be one that might work, and one that we (i) think we can co-ordinate for a relatively low extra cost. After all - it's not needed for the whole way round - just for the two or three long stretches between dockside fuel on the East coast.

Trev
Old 16 June 2014, 13:19   #168

Town: Looe - Plymouth
Boat name: Teal
Make: Coastline
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard Petrol 175
MMSI: 235087776
Round Britain in 2011 -Take 2 Ribs

I went round in Sept 2011 with 2 Ribs. We called it "Take 2 Ribs" Fuel was not the big problem we anticipated but it did mean some extra work at the end of each day , although we did have a 200 -250Nm range.
Voyage Statistics are here Take Two Ribs: Round Britain Voyage Statistics
Main Website here Take Two Ribs

My boat Coastline 7m had 140l built in tank + 2 x 20l Jerry Can + 2 x 45l demountable fuel tanks
The other boat a Ribcraft 6.8m had a 270l built in tank + 4 x 25l Portable Fuel Tanks
So a big fill up would be 2 trips to the local petrol station.

I did do a UK map showing where to get fuel both quayside & nearby see https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...bb6&dg=feature

We always got our tanks/cans filled up, with help from the locals including off duty RNLI guys, harbour masters, B&B owners, petrol station owners, boatyard owners, there was always a way, and in each town a great way to meet some of the local boaters.

Equally we didnt have any road crew following us round, it never occurred to us, but it would have made life a lot easier,and less tiring, quayside with a beer & some petrol each day sounds great.

I my book if you want to do, just get on, you dont need the back up of a big group, which for a lot of the time is just a hindrance and adds lots of complications.
Old 16 June 2014, 13:41   #169

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
Part of the attraction of cruising in company is the Craic afterwards in the pub,
The waves get bigger and the winds stronger with every pint consumed.
I can see the attraction of doing your own thing but I have certainly enjoyed group trips better. It is a pity that in this jobs-worth age another great adventurace pastime might be a thing of the past,just glad iv'e filled my memory box
Old 16 June 2014, 13:43   #170
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Sirib - that is a really useful resource. I think there are a few new places not on there (I *think* Campbeltown and Inverness both have dockside Petrol now?). Is there any easy way we could put this in the "Features" part of the site and have it editable so e.g. any of the admins can update it? I'm not familiar with how google maps api works.

Tags
rib