Old 11 June 2014, 14:25   #141

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Filling a boat is no different from filling a car, it's just petrol and it goes in a tank, how fecking hard is that, it's just the HSE trying to justify what they are doing and it's not right whatever way the want to dress it up

Old 11 June 2014, 14:27   #142

Town: Luxembourg
Boat name: Kalish
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175 Mercury Optimax
RIBase
I would love to see the statistics between crossing a street and filling a rib accidents !

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2014, 14:49   #143

They are cleverer than that, they wouldn't get into that debate, these guys are just pimples on the arse of society, same as the global warming tree huggers, you don't hear much about global warming now because they couldn't justify there argument instead it's now climate change, easier to argue something with a broader spectrum
Old 11 June 2014, 15:23   #144
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Round Britain Powerboat and Rib Challenge 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
Filling a boat is no different from filling a car, it's just petrol and it goes in a tank, how fecking hard is that, it's just the HSE trying to justify what they are doing and it's not right whatever way the want to dress it up
And if you take your boat the petrol station there's no problem. Taking the petrol station to the boat is a bit more of a challenge though.

I always said that petrol boats were no good if you want to go any real distance anyway.
Old 11 June 2014, 15:34   #145

True enough John, but the safety issues if any should be with the filling station not the boat, they have all the safety tickets in place to be able to sell fuel, so again, what the feck
Old 11 June 2014, 15:45   #146
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
True enough John, but the safety issues if any should be with the filling station not the boat, they have all the safety tickets in place to be able to sell fuel, so again, what the feck
The problem is, as I understand it, Hugo didn't want to take boats to the filling station he wants to fill up the boats dock-side in places without petrol provision. If it was a few boats and a few cans the harbour master isn't going to bother - but he's talking about thousands of litres of fuel. As I understand it last year (in Ireland) he used a mobile filling station normally used for rally cars. I don't know why that couldn't work again, but you'd have thought he would have established this months ago - given the headache he had in Ireland.
Old 11 June 2014, 15:54   #147

I can see that being a problem, but something that could be overcome, the RYA use to fill up by cans from a box trailer in Portland, didn't see no HSE guys jumping all over them. Unless the rules are law they are nothing more than guideline
Old 11 June 2014, 15:55   #148
CJL

Town: London
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
It does amaze me how these things work out. I doubt very much that the HSE even got involved with such a small issue. However the local petroleum licensing officer from the local councils do get involved. We've never had such an issue with fuel at very big events and a lot of it comes down to how you approach the relevant authorities.

We've been given exemptions from the petroleum licensing regs provided the local officer was kept informed, bunding provided or discharged from a tanker straight into the boat. Its really not hard to sort out and if you ask how and can we the answer is normally yes.

Chris
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2014, 04:21   #149

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
I suspect that the fuel problems could be sorted however to sort the problems the costs would spirl out of control. Then people could not afford to take part in the event. People would then get narked with HMS, thus he was dammed if he did and dammed if he did not.

Without knowing all of the details it would appear that he made the correct decision.

TSM
Old 12 June 2014, 04:59   #150

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Black Hawk
Make: OSPREY Vipermax 7m
Length: 7m +
Engine: ETEC G2 250 H.O.
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider

The cost for the fuel service last year increased last minute before the event quite significantly the budgets of the 30 teams .
Looking at the far bigger distance to go round Britain plus the fact that just 15 teams instead of 30 were enrolled the cost for a similar fuel service like last year would be far away from an acceptable level for most of the teams so the share for remaining teams still ready to go would jump up again tremendously .
I am for my part as well very disappointed but grateful to Hugo that he did not inform last minute when it is already too late to cancel arrangements .

Tags
rib