Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 11 June 2014, 10:55   #131
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
There goes another one - RB12, RB13, Cowes Monte, London Monte (Twice if you count last years "Prologue" as a failure), granted the others were races but they were long "Events" on the water - are we becoming victims of today's risk averse society?
__________________

__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2014, 11:07   #132
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
are we becoming victims of today's risk averse society?
I don't think so, and I suspect its actually about money rather than "H&S" which is often used as a handy excuse for all sorts of things.

Having said that, refuelling a large fleet of mainly petrol boats was never going to be easy in places where there isn't any petrol. For a smaller group it should be doable with a bit of planning though.

There's no reason why anyone who was planning to go Round Britain this year shouldn't do it if they want to. Unlike racing, RIB cruising doesn't actually need a formal organiser (no rules, scrutineering, timing etc).
__________________

__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2014, 11:14   #133
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustRib View Post
Round Britain 2014 Event cancelled.
Just received official notification.
Local difficulties - (H and S) and escalating expense of refuelling flotilla.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I don't think so, and I suspect its actually about money rather than "H&S" which is often used as a handy excuse for all sorts of things.

Having said that, refuelling a large fleet of mainly petrol boats was never going to be easy in places where there isn't any petrol. For a smaller group it should be doable with a bit of planning though.

There's no reason why anyone who was planning to go Round Britain this year shouldn't do it if they want to. Unlike racing, RIB cruising doesn't actually need a formal organiser (no rules, scrutineering, timing etc).
I'm sure there were other difficulties such as refuelling and logistics but H and S seems to have been blamed officially (see above) and having been close to the other events as a competitor a large portion of the blame has been attributed to Health and Safety issues especially with the governing body, the question is would it all have been doable without those issues and could the organisers have done more to prevent these issues being such a large factor?
__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2014, 11:28   #134
RIBnet supporter
 
MustRib's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,048
without quoting the entire email from HMS

On top of this, in the last 2 weeks, I have been bombarded by Fire Officers and other H&S officials seeking to understand exactly how we propose to fuel the flotilla. Let me say, that their degree of ‘interest’ along with their heightened regulations/requirements, not to mention their powers to shut down any fuelling operation they deem unfit, are total and uncompromising – completely different to those we encountered on Round Ireland.

Even with a costly introduction of a professional motor-sport re-fuelling service, based on a number of recent conversations, some authorities and councils are still reluctant to even allow such professional refuelling.

The Round Ireland fuelling operation was really well done, but I understand such an operation would be extremely expensive on a Round Britain, and without acceptance everywhere, would not even be remotely cost effective.
Entry fees, if already paid, are being refunded.

I applaud the decision being made to cancel it now rather than come up with piecemeal fuelling solutions that could have fallen foul of official intervention on the day. I dont think the decision would have been made lightly, and I suspect many avenues were explored to make it work. The amount of petrol required at every stop on Round Ireland was eye watering.
__________________
MustRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2014, 12:06   #135
Member
 
Barrowboy's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,161
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustRib View Post
without quoting the entire email from HMS

On top of this, in the last 2 weeks, I have been bombarded by Fire Officers and other H&S officials seeking to understand exactly how we propose to fuel the flotilla. Let me say, that their degree of ‘interest’ along with their heightened regulations/requirements, not to mention their powers to shut down any fuelling operation they deem unfit, are total and uncompromising – completely different to those we encountered on Round Ireland.

Even with a costly introduction of a professional motor-sport re-fuelling service, based on a number of recent conversations, some authorities and councils are still reluctant to even allow such professional refuelling.

The Round Ireland fuelling operation was really well done, but I understand such an operation would be extremely expensive on a Round Britain, and without acceptance everywhere, would not even be remotely cost effective.
Entry fees, if already paid, are being refunded.

I applaud the decision being made to cancel it now rather than come up with piecemeal fuelling solutions that could have fallen foul of official intervention on the day. I dont think the decision would have been made lightly, and I suspect many avenues were explored to make it work. The amount of petrol required at every stop on Round Ireland was eye watering.
I empathise with the organisers on this occasion. The enforcement of rules and regs surrounding the storage, transport, transfer and use of petrol in marine environments around Europe has been ramped up and proven extremely challenging for us over the past couple of years, trying to use petrol in small quantities (less than 50 litres) on offshore construction projects. HSE rules and regs, local byelaws, harbour authority rules & regs, etc, etc.

It's certainly a different world we live in nowadays and, on balance, probably is greener and cleaner but it's undoubtedly provided jobs for an awful lot of yesterday's traffic wardens and clipboard sales across Europe must be off the scale.
__________________
Barrowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2014, 13:00   #136
RIBnet supporter
 
Trevor G's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Crowthorne
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 837
If anyone is still interested in trying to do this with a smaller number of boats just as a "group of boats" rather than an "organised event" - We would still be interested in trying to do it anyway in Blue Ray (8.6m Shearwater Cabin Rib).

We were going to start from and end in Southampton rather than Plymouth (as we need to do that bit anyway).

If anyone's interested either we can start another thread - or you could pm me or e-mail me on tgoddard@delgarno.com.

Trevor
__________________
Trevor G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2014, 13:48   #137
Member
 
Country: Luxembourg
Town: Luxembourg
Boat name: Kalish
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175 Mercury Optimax
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 408
RIBase
thats EUROPE ...you need a licence for your VHF, if you want an EPIRB you need to have another licence, another one if you want to pie from your RIB and if you need to do the big thing you have greenpeace on your back because you used the wrong toilet paper ....GRRRRRRR and then they will announce that 2 ribs manufacters were bankrcupcy and 10 people a jobless !!!!!!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2014, 14:00   #138
Member
 
biffer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,848
Makes you sick, the atmosphere sponges that have no life of there own just try to stop all us fun loving chaps doing what we love to do, I'm almost tempted to do it again just to stick my fingers up to them, I can't see how they can stop someone filling up his boat with fuel, when we went round in 1999 one guy I know swam ashore with two fuel tanks and got a local to get them filled for him.
__________________
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2014, 14:06   #139
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS via MustRib View Post
On top of this, in the last 2 weeks, I have been bombarded by Fire Officers and other H&S officials seeking to understand exactly how we propose to fuel the flotilla. Let me say, that their degree of ‘interest’ along with their heightened regulations/requirements, not to mention their powers to shut down any fuelling operation they deem unfit, are total and uncompromising – completely different to those we encountered on Round Ireland.

Even with a costly introduction of a professional motor-sport re-fuelling service, based on a number of recent conversations, some authorities and councils are still reluctant to even allow such professional refuelling.
Fuel is always the logistical headache for anyone planning this sort of trip - especially large petrol boats. Its not surprising that the H&S/Fire folks might be asking questions, after all even the professionals get it wrong some times:


Its more surprising that an "event organiser" with previous experience of similar events wasn't able to satisfy them that even with additional safeguards in place that this could be managed safely. If it was one location being unnecessarily awkward presumably an alternative location might have been possible; afterall there are marinas around at least 1/2 the country with on-the-water fuelling capability.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2014, 14:09   #140
Member
 
Boatnomad's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Zodiac Mk I
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 728
Thin end of the wedge!

Dread to think what it will all be like in 10 years time!
__________________

__________________
Boatnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.