Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 26 May 2014, 06:20   #111
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9
I take my hat off to Hugo and Powerboat & RIB for organising this event. You have no idea how much work is involved in setting this type of thing up for those wanting to take part but he has accomplished this with very little fan fare and certainly no razzmatazz.

For those crews taking part, you are going to have one hell of a fascinating run. If you haven't done it before, the run down through the Isles towards Oban is stunning and the East Coast of the U.K. is beautiful in places. If you run close to the coast you will see some amazing sights. It will be an unforgettable experience and you have Hugo to thank for setting it all up

Interestingly, most of the crews taking part in the RB08 found the last stretch running along the South Coast into head SW seas the most challenging. Here's hoping you do that in good weather and light winds!.

I can't wait to see the write up's afterwards from those taking part.
ML.
.
__________________

__________________
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2014, 06:25   #112
Member
 
Country: Luxembourg
Town: Luxembourg
Boat name: Kalish
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175 Mercury Optimax
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 408
RIBase
hey hey ! never did it, i cruised a bit from ramsgate to IOW and start from Neyland to Ireland last year when i did the round of ireland with Hugo and it was awesome. to be honest i ve some doubts about the sightseeing as i cant say that i really discover the landscapes due to the Irish weather but for what i saw it looked great ! i will cross the chanel to London on the 6th of june hope to see you
__________________

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2014, 06:53   #113
Member
 
Country: Germany
Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Black Hawk
Make: OSPREY Vipermax 7m
Length: 7m +
Engine: ETEC G2 250 H.O.
MMSI: 211579640
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 397
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
I am absolutely convinced that Hugo will turn the RB for all participants into an unforgettable event and I am sure all who participated the RI last year will agree with me .
As for sightseeing I have also some doubts .
Many things in Ireland we have not seen cause we were busy fighting the elements - especially the small boats .
The guys in the larger boats were mostly more lucky . Due to their higher cruising speed they could visit more places and were sitting already at the pub when we with the small boats arrived .
So my conclusion to see more and to enjoy the early afternoon beer was to move to a bigger boat
__________________
ETEC - each stroke is a power stroke
Bushrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2014, 06:56   #114
Member
 
Country: Luxembourg
Town: Luxembourg
Boat name: Kalish
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175 Mercury Optimax
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 408
RIBase
ahahahah, i will be with the small boats now ! and as u said what Hugo organized last year was just a great challenge that we are still talking about !
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2014, 07:10   #115
Trade member
 
Andre's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Mist
Make: Parker 800 Baltic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2xMercury Diesel 170
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,454
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Andre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post
I take my hat off to Hugo and Powerboat & RIB for organising this event. You have no idea how much work is involved in setting this type of thing up for those wanting to take part but he has accomplished this with very little fan fare and certainly no razzmatazz.

For those crews taking part, you are going to have one hell of a fascinating run. If you haven't done it before, the run down through the Isles towards Oban is stunning and the East Coast of the U.K. is beautiful in places. If you run close to the coast you will see some amazing sights. It will be an unforgettable experience and you have Hugo to thank for setting it all up

Interestingly, most of the crews taking part in the RB08 found the last stretch running along the South Coast into head SW seas the most challenging. Here's hoping you do that in good weather and light winds!.

I can't wait to see the write up's afterwards from those taking part.
ML.
.
Hi Mike

Well said but Hugo has the experience as this is not the first time for such cruise also they are not going all the way round.

What would you say to this Challenge? And they are going all the way round and alone.

999coastalchallenge - Home
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2014, 15:56   #116
RIBnet supporter
 
Trevor G's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Crowthorne
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 837
Hi Guys - Rick and I are hoping to take part in this again - but this time in Blue Ray (8.6m Shearwater Cabin Rib) and sleep on board rather than trying (usually unsuccessfully) to find camp sites.

Not sent the forms in yet but I've "expressed my interest" to Hugo.

Just had the 1st shakedown run with the Coastal Pro suspension seats fitted to the Shearwater.

Trev
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Suspension Seat trials.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	95024  
__________________
Trevor G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2014, 16:07   #117
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Hi Mike

Well said but Hugo has the experience as this is not the first time for such cruise also they are not going all the way round.

What would you say to this Challenge? And they are going all the way round and alone.

999coastalchallenge - Home
Andre - they've got it easy though - because they picked a good boat to do it in
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2014, 17:00   #118
Member
 
biffer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,848
Thanks for posting the vid, it's he first time I've seen it, we came first in our class in that race, not bad considering she has been trying to get round since she was built in1967.
__________________
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2014, 18:52   #119
Member
 
Country: Luxembourg
Town: Luxembourg
Boat name: Kalish
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175 Mercury Optimax
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 408
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
Hi Guys - Rick and I are hoping to take part in this again - but this time in Blue Ray (8.6m Shearwater Cabin Rib) and sleep on board rather than trying (usually unsuccessfully) to find camp sites.

Not sent the forms in yet but I've "expressed my interest" to Hugo.

Just had the 1st shakedown run with the Coastal Pro suspension seats fitted to the Shearwater.

Trev
Hi Trevor it would be great to see you again !
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2014, 01:08   #120
Member
 
Country: Germany
Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Black Hawk
Make: OSPREY Vipermax 7m
Length: 7m +
Engine: ETEC G2 250 H.O.
MMSI: 211579640
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 397
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Hi Trev ,
Nice boat ! I also consider to sleep in the boat .
Black Hawk has more than enough deck space . I just need to put a canopy between the a frame and the grab rail of the console and It should work well .
Looking forward to see you !
__________________

__________________
ETEC - each stroke is a power stroke
Bushrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.