Old 28 June 2001, 15:31   #1
Trade member

Town: Yeovil, Somerset
Boat name: Ribcraft1
Make: Ribcraft
Length: no boat
Send a message via Skype™ to jace
Round Britain in Under 5 Mtrs (RB4)

Tomorrow (Friday 29th June) sees the start of the Round Britain in under 5Mtrs. They are due to leave Plymouth at 10:30 am and return a week Sunday.

I will be in contact with one of the entrants and will be posting the events progress on our website, www.ribcraft.co.uk also I believe Rib International will have some daily info on their site. The info should be up from Friday evening with a report of the dayís progress.

Should be a very tough challenge and certainly one to keep an eye on.
jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2001, 16:30   #2

Town: Pembrokeshire
Boat name: MATUKA
Make: Lencraft
Length: 5.5m
Engine: Mariner 60 4s Efi
Dear God, be good to me.
The sea is so wide, my ship so small.

[The prayer of a Breton Fisherman]

Good luck to all involved and whoever your god is, may he/she look after you.

Old 29 June 2001, 04:03   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I can't help thinking that they are being hopelessly optimistic on this event.

For instance, today's route is Plymouth to Milford Haven leaving late morning. That's something like 170 miles and includes rounding Land's End and a long bumpy crossing of the Bristol Channel. The weather forecast for Lundy (which includes the Bristol Channel) is Southwest 4 or 5, occasionally 6. They'll be very lucky to complete this in under 12 hours, to arrive in daylight. I wouldn't be surprised if some crews don't manage to complete the day.

This would be a big enough challenge for a one day event -- but anyone reckon they can keep this pace up for ten days? Remember, it's going to be an absolute minimum of eight hours in a small RIB every day for a week and a half.

Oh yes, and tomorrow's forecast is Southwest to West force 5 or 6 . . .

Keeping my fingers crossed for them

John

PS Just looked at bouyweather.com for the Bristol Channel (51N 5W) and it's predicting 3 metre wave height for this afternoon. Should be interesting!

[This message has been edited by John Kennett (edited 29 June 2001).]
Old 29 June 2001, 22:51   #4

Town: Northants
I'm not sure there are many boats taking part in this event. The last I heard numbers were well down. The boats should be well kited out though. I did consider my 4mtr RIB for the event, but when HMS sent the essential equipment list I decided it would treble the value of the boat - that is if it managed to stay afloat with the added weight!!
Old 02 July 2001, 04:37   #5
Administrator

It sounds like Friday and Saturday were very tough, with quite a variety of breakdowns and serious repairs required!

Yesterday was better with good conditions in the Irish Sea, but it looks like a Northerly is blowing up for the next day or two.

From what I hear the main fleet is down to five boats, and apparently Hugo Montgomery-Swan (the organiser) has gone home. It sounds like Jan Falkowski is setting the pace now as the most experienced ribster taking part. He normally crews for Alan Priddy, so is well used to endurance ribbing!

One of the small RIBs is following on behind having spent a day in Milford Haven getting a new engine fitted. They are being supported by a Scorpion Cabin RIB and hope to catch up with the rest of the fleet in the next couple of days. Rumour has it that a number of the small RIBs that couldn't keep up have been trailed north to rejoin the fleet.

John

------------------
John Kennett
RIBnet
Old 02 July 2001, 09:10   #6
Administrator

Site updates:

RIB International have now started posting brief updates at http://ribmagazine.com/rb4.htm

Jason at Ribcraft is also posting updates at http://ribcraft.co.uk/Daily%20Update%20290601%20.html (scroll down for the latest news)

The Marinetrack system has failed completely, and just gives an error message.

John

------------------
John Kennett
RIBnet
Old 02 July 2001, 19:10   #7

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
While I have the greatest admiration for any one that attepmts a circumnavigation of Britain, I feel that this event is going to do more damage to the RIB Industry than good!
It has taken part with no real planning and infurstructure and should have aborted when Hugo went home.This circumnavigation is possible but is very much weather dependant.
I am consitantly reminded that on the RB 1999
Team Rib International with two others elected to stay in Grimsby because they thought the weather was too bad, everyone else left for Ramsgate! If the low hits the high that is forming on the east coast the organisers will need more than divine intervention to help them on this one!
Old 03 July 2001, 14:21   #8
Trade member

Town: Yeovil, Somerset
Boat name: Ribcraft1
Make: Ribcraft
Length: no boat
Send a message via Skype™ to jace
The only latest news Iíve heard is that 7 boats left Scrabster for Berrick this morning. Quite an achievement what they have done so far, Cant have been easy considering the weather on the first few days. The minute I hear anything I will post it on our Website www.ribcraft.co.uk. To Quash the Rumor, the only boat that was towed to catch up was Avon Seal, who has subsequently retired.

Jason

P.S. John you were dead right about Marine Track, about as much use as an Ashtray on a Motorbike!!
jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2001, 08:20   #9
Administrator

They are doing really well to have got this far -- the crews must be absolutely exhausted with the amount of time they have been spending at sea each day!

As they come down the east coast the wind isn't in their favour, but at least it's not blowing a gale. The wind is forecast to be east or southeast 3 or 4, backing northeast 3 or 4 later which will help. The sea state is forecast as slight.

More information is now being posted on the RIB International site and I hear that Hugo M-S has now rejoined the fleet.

John

------------------
John Kennett
RIBnet
Old 04 July 2001, 12:49   #10

Town: N.C.
Sounds like a grueling run so far, but the crews are up for the task. A seabird in the face has got to hurt, ouch. I wish them all the best.