Old 30 July 2001, 09:16   #51

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Vernon, Excellent account & some interesting points raised.

Just like to point out for the benefit of the audience that Brian Elliot does only have two arms. If you believed Vernon's account he has 4 at least!!

Cheers.
Alan

Old 30 July 2001, 09:23   #52
Hairdresser

Town: Peel
Boat name: Jane L
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
MMSI: 235077935
Vernon,

You have written a fascinating story which has been totally absorbing. It is with out doubt a most compelling series of articles, and I have looked forward to each installment.

I am tempted to remark that composing this story must have been every bit as hard as the event itself, but I would not want to detract from your achievement!

My sub for RIB Intl is due for renewal and I have been in two minds about renewing. If only they would print stories just like yours I would have no hesitation.
Whereas your story was very easy to read, RIB Intl often has a verbose style to it. I don't particularly want to read about a "young gelding galloping through the waves". Surely zapcats don't belt along like a castrated male horse? And, I prefer to save any "odd moments of frisky behaviour" for evening entertainment!

I am however looking forward to the next account of the RB4 which, if it is from the crew of Cyanide, will no doubt be a very different tale of leisurely days spent sunbathing, with gins and tonic on the afterdeck at sunset!
Very comfortable boats, Scorpions.

Allen

Old 30 July 2001, 09:48   #53

Allen,

Couldn't agree more about RIB International - one of the reasons for me not renewing my subscription last year. Not sure whether you have seen the debate on the future of RIB.NET under "comments" but might be worth your input. I definately think there is a point of view out there that says we read RIB INT 'cos its the only game in town, not because it is that good!

As Vernon has set such a high standard for RB4 accounts I am busy recrafting my words on Spirit/Cyanides experiences. Lets just say it was hell at times on Cyanide - ocasionally we couldn't get a decent TV picture and got salt water in our salmon and cucumber sandwiches!

Alan
Old 30 July 2001, 10:24   #54
Hairdresser

Town: Peel
Boat name: Jane L
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
MMSI: 235077935
Alan,

You're very quick with your replies today - I agree with your comments about RIB Intl, but I am really not sure about RibNet expanding.
I haven't subscribed to the Hotribs site, so can't comment about what you get there for your money, but RibNet is far and away the most acive of the Rib sites, and I wonder how much this has to do with it being free and so easily accessible.
I'll have a think about it.

Whilst you're at your meeting this evening, some feedback about the recent powerboat racing at Blackpool would be interesting.
Several of us travelled over to help out as safety boats, and as this was our first experience of these events, wondered quite what would happen.
To cut a long story short, we spent most of the time twiddling our thumbs in the swell off Blackpool, and on the Sunday were preparing to leave for home all racing having been cancelled, when we heard by chance that the RIB race would in fact be staged.
That turned out to be an excellent event and well worth making the trip for - I would guess that the RIBS saved the day for UKOBA.

Allen
Old 30 July 2001, 11:53   #55

Allen,

Slow day at work!

I'll mention your experiences at Blackpool tonight. Since the Racers are so keen to get safety boats at events the least they can do is let you know whats going on!

Cheers,
Alan
Old 31 July 2001, 04:06   #56

Town: Kingsbridge
Vernon,

Absolutely brilliant account, congratulations. I can honestly say that I feel worn out reading your mails and feel that I have lived through a lot of the journey without getting wet !

As mentioned in another mail if only RIB International would publish stories like yours it would be worth its cover price.

Best wishes,
Nick

[This message has been edited by nickfarmer (edited 31 July 2001).]
Old 01 August 2001, 05:27   #57
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
My broken arm-the truth-now it can be told

Due to immense media speculation and hype, mainly driven by Vernon, I think the time has now come for the real story of what actually happened to me that evening, to be unveiled to a shocked public.

After the excellent civic reception held at Wells-next-the-Sea I repaired to a local hostelry for a (further) nightcap. I fell into conversation there with a strange fellow who claimed to be an insurance salesman. I say strange because although his dress and demeanor were otherwise acceptable in the halls of Lloyds, he was wearing steel capped boots, which I thought a little odd at the time. Nevertheless after some minutes of pleasant conversation he invited me outside. As soon as we were away from the gaze of the other gentlefolk of Wells, his whole attitude changed towards me and he immediately launched a vicious and totally unprovoked attack on my person. Such a torrent of blows rained upon me that I fell to the pavement. At this point my attacker aimed and landed several kicks with his boots upon my upper right arm, breaking it in several places. Just as the red mist of pain began to threaten my consciousness, the fellow leant over me, and with an almost angelic smile, said "Nothing personal, Brian. This is just all part of a national recruiting campaign on behalf of BUPA".

Old 01 August 2001, 14:39   #58

Town: GB
Brian,

Good to see you back.

Hope the arm is well on the mend.

A word to the wise! - it is easy to shoot the messenger, when you don't want to hear the message!!?!

I was just reporting back on the various rumours.

By the way, did you say he was an In shore ance sails man?

After all the sun was over the yard arm very early that evening my friend

------------------
Vernon

[This message has been edited by Tigershark (edited 01 August 2001).]
Old 01 August 2001, 15:38   #59
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
From 'THE WIFE OF BRIAN'

Yes, I'm the one who actually knows what colour 'Cyan' is!

THE REAL STORY
After Brian told me he was going out for a day's cruising, I glibly drove him and Alan to the Marina. I did wonder about the provisions they took - but you know Ribsters!!

After a peaceful week of - "Oh well boys will be boys" - a phone call from Kings Lynn Hospital, a 700 mile round trip (by road!) and many hospital visits, I finally found out the truth.

We are moving house in 3 weeks and B hates packing etc.... extreme measures you may think, but boy is he milking it! Notice it was his RIGHT arm that is broken. He didn't have to pay much for it - (I've seen the bill)- the locals there are very obliging!

Still B - I get the last laugh - who's signing all the cheques and Visa's - bet you didn't know Gucci have opened a store in Plymouth!!!!
Old 01 August 2001, 19:36   #60

Town: Devon
Make: Avon
Engine: 90 mariner
Yes, Tiger sharks navigator has decided to enter the narrative world, but I will not try and compete with Vernon's wordsmith skills! Not that I usually listen as Iím always staring at the back of his head!

Brian,

I just wanted to say how gracious you have been in the way you have taken the abuse from an individual you mention,

I guess at the end of the day there is no ARM in it! Best just to KNUCKLE down and get on with is, oh well NAIL never mind.

Sorry couldnt resist,

Russell