Old 11 May 2007, 19:03   #1

Town: watford
Boat name: The Bandit &
Make: Hunton Rib
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 8.1 Mercruisers
Round Britain 2008 at RIBEX

Going to Ribex for the first time Sat. Can't wait..............

How was the Round Britain stand?
Old 11 May 2007, 19:08   #2

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Round Britain

Unconvinicing answers when it came to 'petrol - where?'.

After Trafalgar I would want to be VERY sure of the organisation, legal / safety issues (Which I can't discuss on the web but PM me if interested) and logisitics before joining.

And... Bandit, please post your impressions. I do not want to be a kill joy. Perhpas I am just a jaded cynical old has been....
Old 11 May 2007, 20:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehawsker View Post
Round Britain

Unconvinicing answers when it came to 'petrol - where?'.

After Trafalgar I would want to be VERY sure of the organisation, legal / safety issues (Which I can't discuss on the web but PM me if interested) and logisitics before joining.

And... Bandit, please post your impressions. I do not want to be a kill joy. Perhpas I am just a jaded cynical old has been....
To me this race could put ofshore racing in this country back on the map.
We are the only country in world that can circumnavigate its country.
I have never raced a boat but a supporter of offshore racing for 25 years never missing Cowes.
There is a mountain to climb for the organisers, TV is key to this event to attract sponsers and celebs are the key to that.

If 70 boats take to the water then we have each other to look out for. I would rather help someone if at sea or in the pits then win the event.
This will be a great experience for anyone that takes part.

Petrol if there is none then i will put the boat back on the trailer and take it to the nearest petrol station.

i have so many friends that want to be apart of this event from crew to support crew, A mate is designing a web page for us free. www.thebandit1.com

A big thanks to Mike for putting all his efforts into this and it needs all of us to support him.

By the way one of my race crew is a sailor.
PM me if you want to know more.

Hopefully
Old 11 May 2007, 20:55   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by the bandit View Post
are Japan, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Iceland, Madagascar, Cuba and even Australia - not countries?
Old 11 May 2007, 21:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
are Japan, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Iceland, Madagascar, Cuba and even Australia - not countries?
Of course they. So you think its pratical to race round those countries.

1600 miles is a tough but realistic distance. Not sure many pockets would be deep enough to pay for the fuel round Australia and might get a tad boring.
Old 11 May 2007, 22:38   #6
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Of course they. So you think its pratical to race round those countries.

1600 miles is a tough but realistic distance. Not sure many pockets would be deep enough to pay for the fuel round Australia and might get a tad boring.
With the execption of Australia - most of those countries are not so large as to make it ridiculous. I can't comment on the practicalities - although as others have noted racing petrol boats round the uk is not exactly practical although it is possible.

There are of course many much smaller countries who's names didn't spring to mind - some of which could be circumnavigated in a single day...

I certainly wouldn't be so niave as to suggest that the UK is UNIQUELY placed.
Old 12 May 2007, 08:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
With the execption of Australia - most of those countries are not so large as to make it ridiculous. I can't comment on the practicalities - although as others have noted racing petrol boats round the uk is not exactly practical although it is possible.

There are of course many much smaller countries who's names didn't spring to mind - some of which could be circumnavigated in a single day...

I certainly wouldn't be so niave as to suggest that the UK is UNIQUELY placed.

There are loads of small countries or island that can be circumnavigated in a day. but that wouldn't make it unique or a challenge.

Please name some countries were you can race a sensible distance in a day and over a period of a week or fortnight so that its pratical for privateers to mix it with the big boys?

Why should petrol be such a issue? We sell bucket loads in this country.

Watch and be amazed how big this race will become.
Old 12 May 2007, 13:57   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Seems like a bit of a holiday compared with the yachting equivalant - 2,500 miles non stop around Britian and Ireland - took us just under 8 days and three hours last August.
Old 12 May 2007, 14:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
Seems like a bit of a holiday compared with the yachting equivalant - 2,500 miles non stop around Britian and Ireland - took us just under 8 days and three hours last August.
Hopefully its going to be a race/rally/adventure and holiday with a victory in our class at the end.

We realise that logistically this is going to be a difficult event to run for the organisers but that adds to the fun. Sounds to me as though some on here want a Thompson's packaged race.
Old 12 May 2007, 16:00   #10
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
There are loads of small countries or island that can be circumnavigated in a day. but that wouldn't make it unique or a challenge.

Please name some countries were you can race a sensible distance in a day and over a period of a week or fortnight so that its pratical for privateers to mix it with the big boys?

Why should petrol be such a issue? We sell bucket loads in this country.

Watch and be amazed how big this race will become.

Bandit - I am not disputing that this is a serious challenge. That it is a good length for a race - to make it interesting or challenging. That is not what you said in the original post:

Quote:
which is just union jack waving, pompous nonsense.

A race around NZ south island would be of similar scale to a round britain race (and since I believe you aren't going round the top - you can't complain they aren't doing a full cicumnavigation).

I am sure there would be other places where a series of sequential race legs could be equally as challenging/interesting.

As for Petrol - it is an issue for logistics. After you have recovered your boat every night for a week to tow it through rural roads to fill up - you will appreciate more why it puts people off... it means you NEED a shore crew to bring the tow vehicle and trailer to fairly remote spots. it means you need to fart about taking your boat out the water every night when all you want to do is fix any faults and get some rest. If all the boats in the rally/race do this then it is going to be a big bottleneck too.
Old 13 May 2007, 18:42   #11

[
As for Petrol - it is an issue for logistics. After you have recovered your boat every night for a week to tow it through rural roads to fill up - you will appreciate more why it puts people off... it means you NEED a shore crew to bring the tow vehicle and trailer to fairly remote spots. it means you need to fart about taking your boat out the water every night when all you want to do is fix any faults and get some rest. If all the boats in the rally/race do this then it is going to be a big bottleneck too. [/QUOTE]

Do you believe that a team would enter this race without a shore crew.
Old 13 May 2007, 19:40   #12

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Niam-ho
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki DF250
MMSI: 235040417
Quote:
How in the name of God are you planning to tackle the N. Ireland border in a RIB??
Old 13 May 2007, 19:53   #13
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Do you believe that a team would enter this race without a shore crew.
Well it would be more of a challenge if you did it without! Actually I suspected most people have some sort of support "crew" - but dragging an empty trailer around the country so you can fill it up each night seem a bit tedious.

As for alternative countries with such a challenge - how about this: http://www.hotribs.co.uk/03press/251...shbucklers.asp
Old 13 May 2007, 20:18   #14

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Clearly the 50ft super boats are not going to be trailered to a pokey little filling station in the middle of no where to top up with a few thousand litres.
There'll be a tanker on the dockside at each port of call.
Old 14 May 2007, 07:18   #15

[
Quote:
QUOTE=Polwart;199340] Well it would be more of a challenge if you did it without! Actually I suspected most people have some sort of support "crew" - but dragging an empty trailer around the country so you can fill it up each night seem a bit tedious.
we will all have to drag the trailers round. what if the boats need repairing.
Some wont even make it to some of the destinations it all adds up to the fun and adventure.

I have many mates who can't wait to support us. Not sure you understand the principle of this event. Problems bring them on.
Old 14 May 2007, 08:42   #16
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons0 View Post
Clearly the 50ft super boats are not going to be trailered to a pokey little filling station in the middle of no where to top up with a few thousand litres.
I think that is precisely what the original questioner was hoping to hear...
Old 14 May 2007, 08:48   #17
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Not sure you understand the principle of this event. Problems bring them on.
...mmm - well once you have done the event perhaps you will post here with one of these statements "I am really glad there was no dockside petrol available, it really added to the fun/challenge/excitement to drag my boat out the water and get to the local (1 hour round trip!) filing station - before I shut at 5pm..." OR "I think this event would run so much smoother and give the little guy a fairer chance against the big teams if dockside petrol could be organised"

Perhaps you are right and i don't undertsand - but I think there are a lot of people here put off circumnavigating the UK (not necessarily as part of a race) by the limitted availability of dockside petrol.
Old 14 May 2007, 09:01   #18
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons0 View Post
That's certainly the intention, although as far as I know the practicalities have yet to be worked out.

John
Old 14 May 2007, 13:42   #19

[
Quote:
A race around NZ south island would be of similar scale to a round britain race (and since I believe you aren't going round the top - you can't complain they aren't doing a full cicumnavigation
).

So glad you came up with a location on the otherside of the world. Not sure that many of us could get our boats there.
Must slap meself for getting my facts wrong.
Old 14 May 2007, 13:57   #20

[
Quote:
QUOTE=Polwart;199406] ...mmm - well once you have done the event perhaps you will post here with one of these statements "I am really glad there was no dockside petrol available, it really added to the fun/challenge/excitement to drag my boat out the water and get to the local (1 hour round trip!) filing station - before I shut at 5pm..." OR "I think this event would run so much smoother and give the little guy a fairer chance against the big teams if dockside petrol could be organised
"

We are a little team with big hearts and lots of mates. Will post pictures and statements before during and after the event on our web page
www.thebandit1.com (not much on it yet)
By the way i wont be dragging the boat to a fuel station me mates will.