Old 23 August 2009, 16:03   #71

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
No it wouldn't, have you seen the photos of the Trent leaving the harbour.
It does seem worse right at the harbour mouth but I suspect the lifeboat was giving it some welly hence the impressive spray. I have truly been out in as bad - in our area those conditions are quite common.

And if you watch the video I posted you will see it is far worse again and the RIB type boat was coping very well.

Old 23 August 2009, 16:07   #72

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
At Whitby the tide rushes past the harbour mouth which can make it dodgy, it also has pier extensions so you have water trying to get in the harbour as well as water trying to get back in through the gaps.

You MIGHT have got a decent RIB and skipper out but it really was a bad day. I think Last Call saw a flatish spell and went for it, as I say even if your within the extensions you'll still struggle to turn around.

Below taken from Yorkshire Ports:

Whitby Harbour is located on the north east coast of England and is one of the only harbours with a north facing entrance. This can cause difficulties for vessels entering the harbour as there is a strong easterly set across the harbour entrance during the two hours preceding high water.

Dangerous sea conditions can occur at the harbour entrance during strong North to East onshore winds. Entry to Whitby Harbour for small craft is not recommended during this time.

Old 23 August 2009, 16:12   #73

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I think trying to turn around was their biggest mistake(apart from setting out in the 1st place) - they may have made it further out - the water is usually a bit calmer.
Old 23 August 2009, 16:30   #74

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Yup, they turned just outside of the harbour. A scar runs right the way out the south side. I think all they found was a tacho and a couple of small items from the boat.
Old 23 August 2009, 17:00   #75

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
well one things for certain your much safer in a rib or sib than probely any other small boat size for size ,
Old 23 August 2009, 18:31   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.esp View Post
I understand the arguments for and against trailing warps and was surprised to hear of it used in something like a rib. I would interested to hear if anyone else had used such a technique and would like to know how they got on.

Or is the chap with the traffic cone the only one out there.

Jon
eeeerrr,, i said boater not ribber .
Old 24 August 2009, 02:39   #77

Town: Oakham
Boat name: Blue Wave
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow
i said boater not ribber .
Ahh... misread it, makes sense now, Thanks
Old 24 August 2009, 02:43   #78

[QUOTE=neilda;312080] Terrifying stuff - tragic too that four lost their lives.

Reading that made me stop and wonder what that must have been like, awful, really awful. Reminds me again that the sea can be a monster. [/QUOTE

the biggest problem that day was that all the slipways where people had launched from were then subjected to large dumping waves,,with it being a sunny fine calm day lots of boaters alot that normally wouldent venture out did, and they couldednt get back on to shore , we had to use our clubs boat shed slip tucked away around the back of the yard in paddys hole ,normally only used for hauling out larger boats for repairs and that was nearly as bad there ,though we could with a bit of difficulty get people out unlike some places in the area ,,,.mart
Old 24 August 2009, 12:57   #79

Town: Guernsey
Make: Pending
Codprawn, Chewy,

Hi.
After your exchange below, I have been looking very carefully at the photos of the Trent leaving the harbour. I don't think I would like to be in that even with a Botnia Targa; certainly not in a 25, and probably not even in a 30 (if you know these boats).

Brrrr.
rupert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy
No it wouldn't, have you seen the photos of the Trent leaving the harbour.
It does seem worse right at the harbour mouth but I suspect the lifeboat was giving it some welly hence the impressive spray. I have truly been out in as bad - in our area those conditions are quite common.

And if you watch the video I posted you will see it is far worse again and the RIB type boat was coping very well.
Old 24 August 2009, 14:19   #80

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert View Post
Hi.
After your exchange below, I have been looking very carefully at the photos of the Trent leaving the harbour. I don't think I would like to be in that even with a Botnia Targa; certainly not in a 25, and probably not even in a 30 (if you know these boats).
Yes, Rupert, I know all those boats reasonably well and I agree with you. In fact, I wouldn't particularly have liked to be there in the Trent either (another boat I know pretty well, and hold in very high regard). This was a very very sad occasion which we would all wish could have been avoided. At the very least, we should gain anything we can by learning from it. As I intimated earlier in this thread, I do fear that too many people fail to pay the sea the respect that they should, and wherever that attitude persists - either through recklessness or naivety - there will inevitably be casulaties sooner or later. Sometimes, unfortunately, those casualties come from the rescuers and that makes the tragedy even worse

Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote