Old 27 January 2017, 14:25   #21

Town: Frome
Length: no boat
You could just put a wear patch there made of 3mm cladding, it'd take an age to wear through and even if it eventually did just rip it off and put a new bit on?

http://www.henshaw.co.uk/products/65...ding-hen002043

or would a rope go do the job?
http://www.henshaw.co.uk/products/15...lack-hen002120

or paddle holder?
http://www.henshaw.co.uk/products/14...lack-hen002060
Old 27 January 2017, 14:49   #22

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
This is for a sailing club rescue/ Mark laying rib you can't have stuff sticking up or pointy bits to get snagged on and you definitely can't spend lots of money
Needs to be simple smooth and above all cheap
Jesus your a tough guy to help, but I wish you well in your quest
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 14:57   #23

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Why not just use the bow eye?
Old 27 January 2017, 16:12   #24

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wightdiver View Post
Why not just use the bow eye?

Exactly, it doesn't have to be stuck on the bow! It can go at 10 o'clock on your tube.

Non"surgery" just glue. Quick, easy and cheap.
Old 27 January 2017, 16:26   #25

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
24 posts in and were back to what I asked for! I'd seen all the henshaws stuff and polymarine but thought I'd seen something on a boat designed exactly for the purpose. Jeffstevens thought the same but he only came up with the same as I did in his searches
I'll put the options forward and see what the guys think.
It's much easier doing stuff on your own boat as there's only you to please but when you have a dozen or more drivers and many more sailors to keep happy it's hard work
Old 27 January 2017, 16:54   #26

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
24 posts in and were back to what I asked for! I'd seen all the henshaws stuff and polymarine but thought I'd seen something on a boat designed exactly for the purpose. Jeffstevens thought the same but he only came up with the same as I did in his searches
I'll put the options forward and see what the guys think.
It's much easier doing stuff on your own boat as there's only you to please but when you have a dozen or more drivers and many more sailors to keep happy it's hard work
How about this then
https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP....9&rs=0&p=0&r=0
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 17:30   #27

This is the nearest I think I've seen so far with possibly the longer horn trimmed back a bit or maybe a handle with the centre section cut out to leave two horns to catch the rope Click image for larger version

Name:	1485541757968.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	117850Click image for larger version

Name:	1485541826718.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	117851
Old 27 January 2017, 17:43   #28

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225

From Here as its in Cushendall maybe the Redbay boys can advise?
Old 27 January 2017, 17:44   #29

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Do you think that one fairlead would stop chafe as the rope will tighten on a least 500 MM of tube or there abouts depending on height of the Sampson post.

As an idea
we drape rubber door mats over our tubes when we inspect jetties to stop barnacles wearing the tubes B&Q sell them the ones with the 22mm holes in their cheap last forever and can be tied/tie wrapped together if you do it right you can use the ties as hinges and fold it up into one mat size and stow inboard whilst at sea. Leave enough over the side to give weight to keep in place & tie off inboard.
Old 27 January 2017, 20:25   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Do you think that one fairlead would stop chafe as the rope will tighten on a least 500 MM of tube or there abouts depending on height of the Sampson post.

As an idea
we drape rubber door mats over our tubes when we inspect jetties to stop barnacles wearing the tubes B&Q sell them the ones with the 22mm holes in their cheap last forever and can be tied/tie wrapped together if you do it right you can use the ties as hinges and fold it up into one mat size and stow inboard whilst at sea. Leave enough over the side to give weight to keep in place & tie off inboard.
It's quite odd as there is no Sampson post, the boats are moored via a cleat at deck level then over the tube and across to the pontoon and all the rope has done is wear about a 2-3" strip on the top of the tube they did try the rubber mat idea but it wasn't overly successful depending on who actually tied it on but if there's a fairlead in place then a mat with a hole in would probably work
Old 27 January 2017, 20:38   #31

Length: 3m +
How do you ensure that the fair lead is always in a perfect straight line with the deck cleat and the pontoon eye? If its not you will side load the fair lead, possibly causing wear but also putting load through the tubes which seemed to be the thing you were trying to avoid with a cleat?
Old 27 January 2017, 21:04   #32
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
The answer is surely to permanently fit a painter, which is led through a simple split D type guide and tied off on the cleat when not in use, and tied to the pontoon the rest of the time. It's what normal people do. No matter what you add to the tubes in those positions it's going to get caught or tangled at some point on marks, dinghy mainsheet etc, if it's useful enough to guide the bowline. And you do realise on a club boat the diddies will probably still not use the fairlead anyway!
Old 27 January 2017, 21:51   #33

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
The answer is surely to permanently fit a painter, which is led through a simple split D type guide and tied off on the cleat when not in use, and tied to the pontoon the rest of the time. It's what normal people do. No matter what you add to the tubes in those positions it's going to get caught or tangled at some point on marks, dinghy mainsheet etc, if it's useful enough to guide the bowline. And you do realise on a club boat the diddies will probably still not use the fairlead anyway!
Exactly [emoji4]
Old 27 January 2017, 23:25   #34

Quote:
Yep that's exactly what I said initially!
And I totally agree with you about the getting caught at sometime which is why I wanted as little upstand as possible and not a closed handle or cleat that someone would tie off to

I think the thinking is that a permanently installed painter will end up spending most of its life trailing in the water because the crew forget to tie it in when they cast off especially as the bow eye is well below water at rest

However the boats are moored 2 abreast so we'd still have the problem with the outer boat where it came up to the inner boat
Or it would need a painter long enough to reach the pontoon past the first boat which would mean it would also be long enough to reach the prop & we all know how that will end !
Old 28 January 2017, 10:18   #35
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Yep that's exactly what I said initially!
And I totally agree with you about the getting caught at sometime which is why I wanted as little upstand as possible and not a closed handle or cleat that someone would tie off to
you do realise that someone will still find a way to tie off to whatever you put there, or do something else equally stupid - like tow a dinghy alongside using it as a guide and see if they can get on the plane!
Quote:
I think the thinking is that a permanently installed painter will end up spending most of its life trailing in the water because the crew forget to tie it in when they cast off especially as the bow eye is well below water at rest
I'm not convinced. How many people here have a fixed painter and don't intentionally leave it dangling. A floating rope might help them retrieve it if they do (a little forward power and they will find it down the side of the tube).

Quote:
However the boats are moored 2 abreast so we'd still have the problem with the outer boat where it came up to the inner boat
Ah, you've changed the requirements!
Quote:
Or it would need a painter long enough to reach the pontoon past the first boat which would mean it would also be long enough to reach the prop & we all know how that will end !
Are you sure about that? Say a 6m boat with a 2.3m beam. It only needs 1.5 beams length to reach the pontoon (and enough to tie off). Whilst it isn't right at the bow I think it might just make it. Or if only there was someone at the club who could teach people how to tie a sheet bend - after all salty old sea dogs will tell you that when "rafting" boats the outside one should be tied to the pontoon not the inside boat anyway...

I think given its a club boat your best bet is probably wear patches, and replace them every 2-3 yrs if needed. You'll never train everyone to actually use the fairlead the way you intend anyway, unless you have a very small team of PB crew, in which case you could just train them the normal (some might say right) way!
Old 28 January 2017, 10:30   #36
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
...after all salty old sea dogs will tell you that when "rafting" boats the outside one should be tied to the pontoon not the inside boat anyway...
Pfffft!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rafting Ardbeg.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	117859  
Old 28 January 2017, 10:44   #37

RIBase
Bath Matt with suckers on?
Old 28 January 2017, 12:14   #38

Poly you clearly understand the whole 'club' scenario, the boats are used buy all & sundry & a lot of the cadet instructors are quite young and inexperienced
You may be right about a couple of wear patches being the safest option
If I fit something that someone disagrees with it will forever be my fault!
Even changing the way the mooring ropes are done is a multi level decision
Old 28 January 2017, 13:40   #39
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
the boats are used buy all & sundry & a lot of the cadet instructors are quite young and inexperienced
As an aside - I met a couple of similar young chaps puzzling over their club outboard. They asked my opinion as to why it was running below par (no power). I looked at the engine and spotted that the prop was rubbing against the gear casing, which had by then worn down quite a bit. I asked if they had taken the prop off recently. They confirmed that they had lost the regular prop recently and were using the spare. Turned out they had lost the thrust washer too

They allowed they'd use the motor until someone "had time to order a spare washer"...
Old 28 January 2017, 14:33   #40

RIBase
Two more solutions

If wear patches are to be used but don't want to get blamed if they don't work use tear aid it's self adhesive doesn't need any profile prep and can be removed and cleaned up as original it can be bought in large patches and not expensive.
Or buy a blue barrel from Solent plastics cut the ends off and a strip down the middle top to bottom to suit tube dia open up and place over tube all edges to have a radius and corners to prevent damage cost about £30 can be taken off and stowed when not in use.if needed two posts could be glued on to stop the rope wandering if required.