Old 10 April 2011, 20:59   #1

Town: chapel en le frith
Length: under 3m
Engine: outboard
Roof top rib

Hi, About 10 years ago we bought a boat from the Birmingham boat show, its hull was a fibreglass roof box, you carry the rubber inside the roof box to your beach/lake then take the box off the car and inflate the boat around the roof box, its fab, we bought it with a 9.8 tohatsu motor, but we know at the time you could buy a conversion kit that turned this into a sailing dingy, we would love to find the original manufacturers but they seem to have fallen off the planet, has anyone any clues or ideas to help us track them down??
Old 10 April 2011, 21:13   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
You should maybe tell us the name of the boat/manufacturers...

Nice engine, btw! (and welcome to RIBnet)
Old 10 April 2011, 21:20   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I remember those boats. They looked pretty good, but I didn't ever get the chance to try one. I haven't heard anything of them in years, but I'm trying to remember what they were called. I think I may have a brochure somewhere...
Old 10 April 2011, 21:36   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton
It's a CARgoCRAFT - clever name huh?

There was also the Kaybox, from Italian company Sinnova (pictured below).

Looking on Google, they both appear to have disappeared without trace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kaybox.jpg
Views:	842
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	58256  
Old 11 April 2011, 10:10   #5

Cargocraft

Thats great, i remember it now, its such a great little boat, and a real shame in the company has gone out of business!!

Anna
Old 11 April 2011, 10:59   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
why are you trying to contact the manufacuters? if it was for the "sailing conversion" then you can probably work something out yourself. Lots of photos and dimensions and i'm sure the RIBnet closet sailors will be able to suggest something you could modify from another boat...

EDIT - I have some spare time whilst ignoring the kids today - so did a quick google:

Looks like one with the sailing rig was for sale on apollo duck last year. http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...0J:www.apollod uck.co.uk/display.phtml%3Faid%3D167602+cargocraft+roof+boat+ box+inflatable&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=ubu ntu&source=www.google.co.uk

I've stolen the pics from the Apolloduck site as not sure how long they will remain there / googlecache and maybe useful for future reference.

Whilst here's an article from the boat/caravan show in 2001 http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-70593091.html which names the designed as Jim Walsby, based in Bray. And reveals that the sail plan was 46 sq ft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	167602_1.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	58265  
Old 11 April 2011, 11:09   #7

I've tried all sorts to find the company, looks like a company called cargo craft went out of business in 1992 (it surely cant be that long ago!!) so maybe another company set up after that one, it must be 15 years ago tops, as i'm sure we had a young son at the time and hes now 15! That company was in the sutton coldfield area, so i've rung marina's and boat builders in that area with no luck. I think generally people think i'm slightly mad as they've never heard of this type of boat. I think perhaps i'm stuck, but if anyone can think of any other leads i'd be grateful!
Old 11 April 2011, 11:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
why are you trying to contact the manufacuters? if it was for the "sailing conversion" then you can probably work something out yourself. Lots of photos and dimensions and i'm sure the RIBnet closet sailors will be able to suggest something you could modify from another boat...
You are probably right, we just thought it would be easier to buy the original kit that was made for the boat, its been so good, and the motor that we bought with it hasnt missed a beat in all its use, and the boat is still in great condition - dont want to spoil it with a bit of DIY!!
Old 11 April 2011, 11:27   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by APW13 View Post
You are probably right, we just thought it would be easier to buy the original kit that was made for the boat, its been so good, and the motor that we bought with it hasnt missed a beat in all its use, and the boat is still in great condition - dont want to spoil it with a bit of DIY!!
APW13 - I've uncovered a little more info (which I added as an edit in my post further up - in case you miss it).

A DIY JOB needn't necessarily look or feel DIY.

EDIT: and yet more info: Here's a link to his Patent http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP0931717.html there is an address for Mr Walsby there and for his patent agent if he's moved. If you are really keen then there is a James Walsby in the phonebook in Maidenhead... ...OK I think thats enough stalking for today!
Old 11 April 2011, 11:54   #10

Thanks Polwart for the great info, i'm just ignoring my business for the day!! - I'll ignore the kids, while i try and find Mr Walsby later!!

Yes, thats the same one as our - i'm also glad that there is a picture, and i havent been imagining the conversion all this time!!
Old 25 January 2015, 17:08   #11
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Holy thread revival, but look what's on Ebay:-

RIB 'CargoCraft' with Fiberglass Hull, assembles into Top-Box for Roof-Rack | eBay

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote