Old 30 June 2009, 15:42   #1

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Rolling it over

....on land.

As I'm sure you know, the engine is in peices and mid "total rebuild", so I decided to tidy up the transom....which led to me deciding to do the underside as well. Suffice to say it;s a pain in the **** trying to remove antifoul with it still on the trailer.

The quickest & easiest way to remove said antifoul will be to roll it over. My question: am I better having the toobs pumped hard, which may risk a puncture should it find something sharp on the ground I missed, but give a lot better control while rolling it , or should I have them a bit soft to simulate a sand tyre on a trailer and spread the load a bit, but risk it doing something random as a result of the soft toobs?

Thoughts would be appreciated. My current favourite is to fine comb the ground in the "roll zone" and go with hard toobs.
Old 30 June 2009, 15:49   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
....on land.

As I'm sure you know, the engine is in peices and mid "total rebuild", so I decided to tidy up the transom....which led to me deciding to do the underside as well. Suffice to say it;s a pain in the **** trying to remove antifoul with it still on the trailer.

The quickest & easiest way to remove said antifoul will be to roll it over. My question: am I better having the toobs pumped hard, which may risk a puncture should it find something sharp on the ground I missed, but give a lot better control while rolling it , or should I have them a bit soft to simulate a sand tyre on a trailer and spread the load a bit, but risk it doing something random as a result of the soft toobs?

Thoughts would be appreciated. My current favourite is to fine comb the ground in the "roll zone" and go with hard toobs.
I did my searider with hard toobs and put some old sleeping bags down etc where the tubes would touch the floor.
Old 30 June 2009, 15:56   #3

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
I would have thought hard tubes too - though I've never done such a thing. I think if they're soft, or half inflated, you run the risk of damaging the joint between tube and hull. Old pillows are good as protectors too.
Old 30 June 2009, 17:47   #4

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Nectar
Make: Robinson Marine
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 2/
MMSI: 235053259
I have done this once before and used a line of old tyres, definately with the tubes inflated. It worked really well and are easy to move about as they are never in the right place. Admitedly I live on a farm so have plenty kicking about but if you can find some they serve the purpose well!

Luke
Old 01 July 2009, 23:34   #5

Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp merc
Def. hard tubes. Its isnt as hard as you would think with a few friends helping. A few blankets on the ground and you should be fine. good luck. I did the same thing. My advice would be to go all out and do everything you can possibly do while it is up side down. You most likely will never have it like that again. I wanted to put a keel guard on but timing just didnt work out. I ended up applying the keelguard while it was on the trailer afterward and been haveing problemes ever since. Wish I could do it all over now.....I have some posts of when I did mine. good luck, any questions feel free to ask.