Old 08 January 2012, 17:14   #1
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
RNLI - getting greedy?

I signed up a few years back to bung the RNLI a few quid every month. I'm a big fan of what they do and I have a few buddies on the team. When I say a few quid, I mean only €15 a month, so not much, but more than Joe Average puts in their buckets on the street...

In return I got a warm fuzzy feeling and a lot of wastepaper in the post.

And then, a few months ago, I got a letter saying that while they knew I was a regular donor, it would be nice/better/more useful if I gave a bit more..., say €20?

I was quite taken aback, so much so that I binned the letter. I've been thinking about it though. I very nearly cancelled the standing order. I was reluctant to mention it here until I calmed down. I think I'm still a bit angry.

Maybe they should reduce the amount of fairly pointless stuff they pay to print and post to me and just spend the money on kit?

Maybe there should be a membership option for this. The "Take the Money and Don't Waste it or Pester Me" annual membership.

Yes, I AM still grumpy. I should have waited another threee months
Old 08 January 2012, 17:31   #2

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
Fair point.
Old 08 January 2012, 17:35   #3

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I actually complained at the main RNLI stand at the Southampton Show last year on our way out, as I'd been hassled at every turn by Reps asking if we were members, and as a member I felt within my rights to complain.

At the London show today they were far less active, but we were hassled instead by a pushy prat from the RSPB who wouldn't take no for an answer.

Nasher.
Old 08 January 2012, 17:36   #4

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I signed up a few years back to bung the RNLI a few quid every month. I'm a big fan of what they do and I have a few buddies on the team. When I say a few quid, I mean only €15 a month.....

And then, a few months ago, I got a letter saying that while they knew I was a regular donor, it would be nice/better/more useful if I gave a bit more..., say €20?
When I read the title of the topic - I thought: "Hello....?!?" but then seeing the above I fully take your point - they are shooting themselves in the foot with the cheek of a question like that. I have a regular thing with St Dunstans charity who as above send a lot of bumpf but never such a direct question as to imply 'don't be mean, up your sub a bit matey'.
Old 08 January 2012, 17:40   #5

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Totally agree with you R!! I too give £150 a year to them for the same reasons as yourself, plus I live in a town that has a lifeboat, I am a user of the sea and I do support their work. I am also pestered with the inane drivel which continually comes thru my letterbox and yes there is the annual one asking for MORE!!
So come on we will start a move to get them to rethink their strategy
J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 January 2012, 17:43   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Don't think it is just RNLI , the charities all employ a large number of people to gain funding. One of the worst areas has been where a will is left to give money to given charities .
We ended up with a three year battle with two very aggressive charities some years ago when we administered a will. The money pledged was not at the sum expected due to Market forces and two charities took us to court to gain the full amount.
Luckily they lost but the costs came out of the will and the two charities got much less than we offered as a settlement.
Very aggressive managers at the top of many charities but still I have gifted the RNLI some
Old 08 January 2012, 17:46   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
but we were hassled instead by a pushy prat from the RSPB who wouldn't take no for an answer.
You should've flipped him the Bird...
Old 08 January 2012, 18:39   #8

Town: Dunoon
Boat name: Celtic Wanderer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Volvo D6, Honda
MMSI: 235087784
Have been talking about charity with some friends and have Just been told that the rnli is the richest charity in the uk?
Now these guys do a great job when called upon but harassing people for donations is out of order
Old 08 January 2012, 18:40   #9

Town: England
Boat name: n/a
Make: n/a
Length: no boat
Engine: n/a
I agree - the RNLI reps were far to pushy at London Boat show yesterday.
Old 08 January 2012, 18:47   #10

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
I donate £10 a month...when it's anniversary came up I got a letter asking me to increase it...I phoned them, not happy as I like to decide what I contribute and not be persuaded. They were happy to continue to take the £10 a month but said I would have to contribute more, as an as-well-as, to be a 'member': £30 a year from memory. Funny that, as I was already a member.

We agreed to differ. My position was £120 a year was a tidy sum and if everyone with a boat did that, etc etc etc. The RNLI position was 'company policy'.

I still pay the £10 a month, they still send me membership cards.

I pay the same sum to West Midlands Air Ambulance...the only thing they send me annually is a letter of thanks.

The RNLI is a fantastic organisation which I'm very proud to contribute to and shall continue to do so. I don't like some of their marketing techniques, though.
Old 08 January 2012, 19:03   #11
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
Funny that, as I was already a member.
When I "joined" the minimum monthly amount was around the €10 mark, so I was within the guidelines. There was no suggestion that this had changed or that the "membership" was at risk. They just wanted a bit more...

Old 08 January 2012, 19:14   #12

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
A friend of a friend (honest not just trying to distance myself) works for a company. Her full time job is to phone people who are already donating to charity on a regular basis, and ask them to donate more.
Her company does this for several very large (even International) charities. ( I have no idea if they do it for the RNLI, but I will ask. )
Effectively her salary comes from the increased donations, as the charity pay a fee for any increases they manage to secure.
Personally I find this extremely distasteful, and while I appreciate it must be difficult times for Charities and they need to be run in a business like manner, the sooner they learn not to bite the hand the feeds the better of they will be.

Sorry, rant over, calmed down, but yes I agree with you!

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Old 08 January 2012, 19:24   #13

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
A friend of a friend (honest not just trying to distance myself) works for a company. Her full time job is to phone people who are already donating to charity on a regular basis, and ask them to donate more.
Her company does this for several very large (even International) charities. ( I have no idea if they do it for the RNLI, but I will ask. )
Effectively her salary comes from the increased donations, as the charity pay a fee for any increases they manage to secure.
Personally I find this extremely distasteful, and while I appreciate it must be difficult times for Charities and they need to be run in a business like manner, the sooner they learn not to bite the hand the feeds the better of they will be.

Sorry, rant over, calmed down, but yes I agree with you!

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Wow ... you must have fingers like a midwife to tap that lot out on a phone
Old 08 January 2012, 20:23   #14

Town: NW Surrey
Boat name: Lady Helen
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Out Petrol 3.5 & 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMac View Post
Have been talking about charity with some friends and have Just been told that the rnli is the richest charity in the uk?
Now these guys do a great job when called upon but harassing people for donations is out of order
The RNLI is not the richest charity in the UK. The NT has about twice as much income and assets. Although a lot more of the NT income is from Charitable activities (entry fees/sales/teas I would imagine) where as the RNLI is mostly from donations. I don't know whether the NT is the biggest UK charity I just looked at income/assets on the Charity Commission Website starting with Macmillian, then the RSPB, then the NT

The RNLI spend 22mil on raising income (140mil) which seems a lot but as a percentage is a smaller than some other household name charities.

As others have said raising money for charities is big business but it still grates when they ask for more.
Old 08 January 2012, 20:34   #15

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Wow ... you must have fingers like a midwife to tap that lot out on a phone
, yeah it was a rant though, so didnt take long!!
Old 08 January 2012, 21:20   #16

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50
Spending most of my free time boating along the NE coast of France i try to donate on a regular basis to the French version of the RNLI, the SNSM. To give you an idea of the difference between the two (RNLI Vs SNSM) then just take a look at the SNSM's annual operating budget.....in 2011 it was a mere 21 million Euro's. That compared to the RNLI's budget of over 110 million pounds

Now obviously The UK has something like twice the coastline length as compared to France and therefore a larger network of stations but the difference in operating budgets is still seriously disproportional.
To be fair though It is widely belived in French boating circles that the SNSM is badly underfunded.

From personal experience, i Find the SNSM just as professional and reliable as the RNLI and the standards of maintenance and upkeep of their material is probably on par too.

So, although i would never complain that the RNLI recieve too much money, i would suggest that they may not be as hard-up as some people may believe them to be.

Simon
Old 08 January 2012, 21:59   #17

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post

Now obviously The UK has something like twice the coastline length as compared to France and therefore a larger network of stations
Not sure if thats the case anymore

How many is it weve been left with now guys ?
Old 08 January 2012, 22:02   #18
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
How many is it weve been left with now guys ?
Doesn't matter, the RNLI covers it all, even here.

or do you mean the CG? Are you on the "stuff" again? ;-)
Old 08 January 2012, 22:14   #19

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
I'd have sent em a letter back saying be happy with what I give now or have nothing.

Regards the costs of running the RNLI I personally think the boats are hugely over spec'd and could be built for alot less than what they are.
Old 08 January 2012, 22:21   #20
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Regards the costs of running the RNLI I personally think the boats are hugely over spec'd and could be built for alot less than what they are.
As I said in my OP, I'm very cool with the whole Operations side of the RNLI and wouldn't change at thing - I'm a big fan. However, it's not my fault that HQ lost those dead grannies' money on the stock exchange - I'm giving what I want to give, that may increase at a point when I get a flippin' real boat

I think that I just felt it was, well, bad manners?