Old 08 February 2006, 19:51   #21

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackeens
Agree with that one in principle. Suicide seating on an open RIB? (video won't load at the moment!) in bad conditions.

missus
I am sure they could hang on if they had to - just for a short time to get out through the breakers. May not be very comfortable but then neither is having your boat flip!!!
Old 09 February 2006, 18:10   #22

Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
What about throttling off on that one? It seems they powered right into the wave and launched themselves up. Maybe the driver could have just applied enough power to fight the current and pick his way through instead of keeping a constant forward motion.

That boat looks way too stern heavy also. You can see they almost blew over earlier on in the video. The nose is constantly bobbing towards the sky

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jyasaki: Can you check your private messages? I sent you one about the EPDM on your boat
Old 09 February 2006, 20:16   #23

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I think you are underestimating the steepness of the waves and the strength of the wind.
Old 09 February 2006, 20:24   #24
JIY

Town: Largs
Boat name: Spitfire
Make: XS850
Engine: 2 x 200 Verado
MMSI: 235905304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
I think you are underestimating the steepness of the waves and the strength of the wind.

I agree Jeff, those were very confused and steep seas. Even with significant ballast in the bow I think the Atlantic would probably still have capsized. When seas are that steep, there is no substitute for waterline length. Perhaps the new Atlantic 85 might have fared a little better?
Old 12 February 2006, 15:14   #25

Town: NE
Boat name: RedGazelle
Make: Gemini GRX420 SIB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 40 2s
Engine Trim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezgoing
Guys

Many thanks for the clip.

would it have helped if they had flooded the rib?
It's not possible to flood an Atlantic as the transom is open. As soon as the boat encounters the first wave, it drains.

Word on the street at the time was that the engines wern't fully trimmed in, causing the bow to get caught by the powerful headwind. Headwinds seem to be a big cause of capsize.

Anyone able to confirm this theory?

Ed
Old 12 February 2006, 15:18   #26
RIBnet supporter

Town: Reykjavik
Boat name: Cheesee
Make: Seaquel 600 XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 275 Verado
Send a message via Skype™ to bogib
Was at RNLI in Thurso (Scotlandīs northest town) yesterday and there I saw series of pictures taken of their Severn class lifeboat in over 100 mph wind and that was magnificent photo series, the pictures where taken last August. Will see if I can have copies of the series to post here.

At least here is one of their picture

Bogi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lifeboat 012a.jpglítil.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	17487  
Old 12 February 2006, 17:03   #27

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Rotary Rescue
Make: Pacific 22
Engine: Mermaid 160
MMSI: 235021725
pic

Good picture. Batten down the hatches time
Paul
Old 12 February 2006, 17:11   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogib
Was at RNLI in Thurso (Scotlandīs northest town) yesterday and there I saw series of pictures taken of their Severn class lifeboat in over 100 mph wind and that was magnificent photo series, the pictures where taken last August. Will see if I can have copies of the series to post here.

At least here is one of their picture

Bogi
Awesome - why don't they put out more stuff like this - would do wonders for their appeals!!!
Old 12 February 2006, 21:45   #29

Town: London
Boat name: varies
Make: n/a
Length: n/a
Engine: varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Awesome - why don't they put out more stuff like this - would do wonders for their appeals!!!
I wonder how many Ribnet members are also RNLI Offshore members? It is not that much and when you look at pics like that, it is nice to know that someone will come out and get you if it all goes completely pear shaped...

If you go to sea then IMHO I think that you should contribute a bit more than the odd quid in the tin at the pub.

just a thought.

t
Old 13 February 2006, 03:04   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideway
I wonder how many Ribnet members are also RNLI Offshore members? It is not that much and when you look at pics like that, it is nice to know that someone will come out and get you if it all goes completely pear shaped...

If you go to sea then IMHO I think that you should contribute a bit more than the odd quid in the tin at the pub.

just a thought.

t

Couldn't agree more - but don't forget the independants as well......
Old 13 February 2006, 10:25   #31

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Engine: 140hp suzuki
would the best way be:
to take the wave at a slight angle if your boat doesnt have the sufficient hull length to bridge the wave properly?

i suggest this as once the boat is lifted beyond its length, there is nothing at the back pushing the back of the boat upwards, only, (in rlni's case) two heavy engines at rear to weigh down the stern!
although there is the risk of rolling, a slight angle into tthe wave should be better i would have tyhought, depending on the steepness of the wave, as the toobs provide good lateral stability.
or....i think to push everyone forward, hold on tight as possible, tilt engine fully in, then at a slow speed ease the boat over the wave. it seems from the video that the main thing which caused the boat to capsize rather thann return to its normal position when it becomes airborne is that the whole boat looses contact with the water, and the forward motion, with the angle of the wave caused it to take off, so surely to apply slow forard motion would be best, to crawl over the wave, and maintain contact of hull and water.............
Old 13 February 2006, 16:51   #32
JIY

Town: Largs
Boat name: Spitfire
Make: XS850
Engine: 2 x 200 Verado
MMSI: 235905304
If a short, steep wave is bearing down on you, I still think that the safest way to cross it is head to sea. I believe that "putting an angle on" significantly increases the risk of a rolling capsize, albeit the vanishing angle in a RIB is probably significantly greater than a conventional powerboat. Additionally, an angle risks the chance of the boat "slewing" across the wave, as the lighter bow gets pushed round more easily than the stern.

Spookily enough I encountered a rogue wave (no, not "The" Rogue Wave!) at the weekend. It was large, steep and unavoidable, and the Atlantic flip video was uppermost in my mind! However, being aboard a 10m Quinquari Humber I needn't have been concerned, and the passengers thought it was brilliant fun!