Click Here to Login

Old 26 August 2019, 16:16   #1

Town: Fresno
Boat name: Diablo Rojo
Make: Zodiac Pro II 550
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Yamaha
Right sized engine for my boat

I have a 1995 Zodiac Pro II 550. I presently have a 2-stroke 1994 90hp Yamaha on it. I am looking to upgrade the engine. The information plate on my transom says MAX HP is 120. What I am not sure about is the weight is designed to hold. Is the 120hp max recommendation based on a 2-stroke weight or a 4-stroke weight? Or is the limit based on power. I do not want to end up damaging my transom because I make a wrong decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180822_184120.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	130631  
Old 26 August 2019, 17:49   #2

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Have you tried asking Zodiac for a definitive answer to your question rather than asking for opinions on here . They may have a different answer for a boat approaching 25 years old or might want to actually inspect it before giving an answer ( that might stand up in court ! ). Genuinely curious to know !
Old 26 August 2019, 22:19   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck View Post
Have you tried asking Zodiac for a definitive answer to your question rather than asking for opinions on here . They may have a different answer for a boat approaching 25 years old or might want to actually inspect it before giving an answer ( that might stand up in court ! ). Genuinely curious to know !
I live in the USA. Calling Zodiac in France is not going to happen. It would be a very expensive call. I have asked 3 Zodiac dealers here in the US and they are not sure, as they don't deal with boats as old as mine, other than to do repairs. They are also concerned about liability, telling me something wrong and then having me suing them.

So, I ask people on this board what they might know or have experienced. There is a lot of info to be found here, that dealers can't or will not tell you, due to liability issues.
Old 27 August 2019, 00:47   #4

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Personaly I would be looking at the Yam f90 or Suzuki 90 as the minimum but either of those two manufacturers in the 115 as the max. Remember it comes down to correct propping and normal carrying loads. If you are mostly 2-4 people joy riding then your requirements will be different than 5 people scuba diving with two tanks each and dive weights etc. Both a 90 and 115 will push either weight load, however the smaller engine will need less pitch in the prop and therefore be slower.
Old 27 August 2019, 03:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Personaly I would be looking at the Yam f90 or Suzuki 90 as the minimum but either of those two manufacturers in the 115 as the max. Remember it comes down to correct propping and normal carrying loads. If you are mostly 2-4 people joy riding then your requirements will be different than 5 people scuba diving with two tanks each and dive weights etc. Both a 90 and 115 will push either weight load, however the smaller engine will need less pitch in the prop and therefore be slower.
Usually, 3 divers, 6 tanks, gear and ice chest
Old 27 August 2019, 06:22   #6

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloLoco View Post
I have a 1995 Zodiac Pro II 550. I presently have a 2-stroke 1994 90hp Yamaha on it. I am looking to upgrade the engine. The information plate on my transom says MAX HP is 120. What I am not sure about is the weight is designed to hold. Is the 120hp max recommendation based on a 2-stroke weight or a 4-stroke weight? Or is the limit based on power. I do not want to end up damaging my transom because I make a wrong decision.
The old is it weight or power re the transom is a very good question that is seldom answered. The issue was with so many older boats heavy four strokes were not thought about. Are you able to get a nice 115 second hand 2 stroke as that would be ok re both weight and power ?
Old 27 August 2019, 07:11   #7

30-40kg difference isn't going to make much difference at all. Most new ones here in Australia are fitted with 4 strokes to the max power. Think you will find it goes of kw power not weight, it does on mine.
Old 27 August 2019, 21:09   #8

Town: Swindon
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 250 Yam 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
30-40kg difference isn't going to make much difference at all. Most new ones here in Australia are fitted with 4 strokes to the max power. Think you will find it goes of kw power not weight, it does on mine.
Hi, I had a similar zodiac 1998, and that was something like 163kg transom weight , so really for 2 stroke design. I think the weight was stated in the handbook so hopefully someone will have a copy to confirm. It had been fitted with a Honda 90bf 4 stroke that was about 30kg over the weight although I did not know that at the time of buying. Spoke with a zodiac dealer and was told the transom was upgraded around year 2000. Personally I'd stick to the weight you have and avoid any insurance issues. Good luck
Old 28 August 2019, 05:25   #9

According to the info I got, this is the weight and power for the mk2 550, which the engines I mentioned earlier all come under.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3070.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	130649  
Old 31 August 2019, 01:34   #10

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
I had an older Pro 530 with same weight rating. Having a good connection at Zodiac at the time, i was told it that since most outboards back then were two stroke stick to an outboard less than weight of a 120hp two stroke.
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2019, 01:50   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoing View Post
I had an older Pro 530 with same weight rating. Having a good connection at Zodiac at the time, i was told it that since most outboards back then were two stroke stick to an outboard less than weight of a 120hp two stroke.
That is the answer I have been looking for. I figured that in 1995, when they build my boat, they did not have these 4-strokes like today, only 2-strokes. So, they based the rating on what was the current technology in engines. The only 120hp at that time was Force. Thank you for confirming what logic dictated.