Old 07 May 2003, 21:47   #1

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Rid

Anyone heard or seen one of these?
Could not believe my eyes. I will post a picture tomorrow.
Old 07 May 2003, 22:00   #2

Boat name: Spud
Make: BWM
Length: 5.75
Engine: Mariner 125
A google search comes up with this

http://www.walkerbay.com/products/rid.html

Rigid Inflatable Dinghy (RID) Series
Walker Bay’s Rigid Inflatable Dinghy (RID) combines the best
features of a rigid hull dinghy with the stability and utility of an
inflatable. The Variable Profile Design (VPD) tube, unique to Walker Bay, engages with the water when required, providing exceptional lateral stability.

How it Works
With a light load and moderate seas, the VPD tube does not engage and the bow cuts gracefully through water.

In heavier seas or as the load shifts, the VPD tube engages as required for lateral stability.

The VPD tube engages for larger loads.

The Perfect Tender
The RID is the ideal balance of performance and safety in a tender. With more built-in versatility, larger cockpit space for passengers and cargo and a hull that puts out minimal wake and tracks easily while under tow, the RID is the most exciting boating innovation in years!

Information attained from above link
Old 07 May 2003, 22:07   #3

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
sort of a displacement (non planing) rib then?????
Old 07 May 2003, 22:59   #4

Town: Northumberland
Length: no boat
Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
It's just a little ordinary dinghy, nothing to get exited about!
Old 08 May 2003, 05:48   #5

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Looks like a boat designed by a committee!

Keith (variable profile design) Hart
Old 08 May 2003, 06:56   #6

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Seen one

Guys i was in Whitstable Marine at the weekend and they had one there in the shop for sale, didn't see how much they were but i equired why on earth anyone would want to buy one of those, the sales guy said its more for the fishing market as its not really a rib and not realy a dingy.

Anyway thought it was a strange looking beast.

Richard
Old 08 May 2003, 07:30   #7

Rigid Inflatable Dinghy!
Quite right Lee - they have one outside South Pier Shipyard - I think Keith's right, the committee who designed this thing probably walked out in disgust and it was only half finished.
Old 08 May 2003, 11:36   #8

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Tube diametre

The RID i looked over last weekend had very thin tubes around the outside, i could almost get my hands around the diametre of the tube, so to me they looked a bit pointless as any sort of swell would just wash over the top and i doubt if they would actually keep the boat stable at rest anyway, however the boat does look very wide but then again so was the Bizmark and we all know what happend to her dont we.

Bottom line is if i was going to buy a small hard dingy as a tender i'd go and buy one, if i wanted a small rib this size as a tender then i'd buy one but i'm not sure if i'd buy this RID as it seems like a bit of both.

R
Old 11 June 2003, 20:34   #9

Appreciate your interest.

Dear Richard, Charles, Keith, Nick and wavelength,
As the Product Manager for Walker Bay I would like to thank you all for your interest in our Rigid Inflatable Dinghy. Your interest in our product is of particular value to me because I know that RIB users in the UK are some of the most pioneering and wildest in the world. As a subscriber to RIB magazine I have read about the Round Britain race so I know you like to be thrilled. I was also fortunate to attend RIBEX last year and saw first hand some very exotic and innovative RIBs coming out of the UK.
I would like to take this opportunity to answer some of your questions personally because I understand our RID is something new for most.
Wavelength, you are quite right! It is a displacement RIB.
The rest of your comments seem to revolve around one simple question...What's the point?
Well, the reason for the design was in fact the by product of a committee as Keith suspected. The committee was made up of inflatable users, RIB users, dinghy users, sail and power boat owners, boating retail owners and inflatable/RIB manufacturers. There were people from the UK, France and four other EC countires, Canada, the USA, South America and South Africa.
We consistently found that people had the following criticisms with small dinghies and inflatables and RIBS: Dinghies are not as stable as inflatables, without a fender they bump into and can scratch or mark other boats like their mothership, and they have low horse power and carrying capacities relative to inflatables and RIBs. RIBs on the other hand row "like jellyfish", have little or no seating unless it is a deluxe model (Inflatable manufacturers actually suggest you sit inside the inflatable, not on the tubes as most people do). Inflatables are also useless when the tubes are punctured and they can't really be sailed.
So the point of our RID design is a boat that rows better (It comes with 2.15m wood oars with a spoon blade) and has more internal space and protected seating than an inflatable. The RID has a full hull that protects the tube from the side, top and bottom (the rub rail protects the fourth side) and with the easy addition of one of our sail kits is a delightfull, safe sailing dinghy.
The RID has more weight and horsepower capacity than a traditional dinghy and is more stable. The tubes are designed to have minimum drag when the boat is being rowed or sailed. They only engage when the boat is tipped to the side or when the boat is loaded up with lots of gear. Our RID is also very safe (The VPD tubes four airchambers make it the only rigid inflatable type boat that is certified and approved by the US Coast Guard). Finally, you can bump into other boats without worrying about damaging their varnish or gel coat.

I doudt any of you will be running out to buy one of our RIDs to go and race in the Round Britain race - I sure wouldn't. But if you are looking for a fun, versatile, and safe tender this may well be what you've been waiting for! We called it a RID because it is not a RIB but it has inherited some of the great features of RIBs.

If you are still not convinced go and try one. If that is not an option you can read some of the reviews magazines have done since the boat was introduced a few months ago. We will be displaying them proudly on our website in a few weeks once we have had a chance to post them.

Thank you,
Stefano
Old 11 June 2003, 20:45   #10

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Length: 6m +
Engine: Several
I must say I like them !

Ideal as a little tender for a cruiser or as a safe starter boat for kids.

I got an excellent brief from the French agent for Walker Bay at the Paris Show, so much so that we are thinking of buying some for underage training in the Powerboat School ( since the new fast craft legislation here in Ireland came in )

They seem very well put together and quite a versatile little boat.

Best wishes,

Stuart
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2003, 20:48   #11

Boat name: Spud
Make: BWM
Length: 5.75
Engine: Mariner 125
Thank you for your lovely reply sir.

Although I am not someone who would buy one I understand that there is usually a market for everything / something. I think the idea is common sense, and fair enough for making such a product. I do hope this line does well alongside your already strong product line.

Thank You,
lee
Old 11 June 2003, 20:53   #12

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
Good luck if I had a bigger boat it would be my ideal tender,

Good marketing and good luck.
Old 11 June 2003, 21:16   #13

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Hi Stefano

Well certainly a comprehensive posting, well done. A horse for a course.

So, how about sending one up to 'The Great Orkney SIB Expedition 2003'?

Keith (mine's all floppy) Hart
Old 11 June 2003, 21:58   #14

Town: Leatherhead
Being the owner of a WalkerBay 8 sailing dinghy, I can testify to the excellent build quality of their kit.

I did look at the RID but "the management" thought it would be a bit heavy to launch single handed (while I was out playing on the RIB )

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2003, 06:06   #15

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
Interesting explanation Stefano. I made no comment when this thread was opened because I could see advantages in this tender - but not for Ribsters.

For any sort of distance liveaboard sail-boat cruising an inflatable, as I have found to my cost, is a useless bit of kit. It is too fragile near coral or ragged concrete. And packing and unpacking is a constant pain.

One accepts the stowage difficulties of a rigid dinghy for its' robustness and ease of haul-aboard. Anyone who leaves a tender floating alongside at night in many parts of the world wakes to find it nicked by dawn!

On my 9m cabin RIB a rigid tender or your RID would be impossible to stow so I accept all the disadvantages of the inflatable - despite the fact that I hate the little b****r.

But for a 40+ft vessel with space to store the thing inverted on a foredeck somewhere I would give your RID serious consideration.

Good luck with it!
Old 12 June 2003, 06:41   #16

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
Yep

Yep,Thats exactly what I meant.
Old 12 June 2003, 08:24   #17
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Hart
So, how about sending one up to 'The Great Orkney SIB Expedition 2003'?
That's a good idea. I haven't sorted out an official RIBnet boat yet

John
Old 12 June 2003, 08:27   #18

Keith's exploding with good ideas. Maybe Stefano can let you have one for the trip (where is it you lot are going?)- and you can write up a report on your return?!
What about it Stefano?
Old 12 June 2003, 08:55   #19

Town: winchester
Boat name: Pilchard
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Merc 90 4s
Full marks to Stefano for taking the time to give a full and comprehensive response to our initial comments.
Old 16 June 2003, 07:59   #20

Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
rid (seen one) BILGE RAT

bilge rat,
I too was in whitstable marine ,however my experiences are totally different to yours (specifically the fishing comment).
I am not connected to the store , get no preferencial terms and am not related.
Having shopped at most if not all chandlers in the s/east of england I have as yet not found one I prefer. The degree of knowledge has never been questionable , they know their products, selling ribs , speedboats, rids, sibs, engines and all chandlery requirements etc

when the rids came in I asked what the market was and was given a clear answer almost textbook in fact which most definately did not imply a main market for fishermen or that the product was a type of rib!
In fact it is fair to say that at the retail price of the rid they could offer a rid, a rib or a sib , so have little need to bend the product to suit the client.
The official reply has it seems answered all our questions !