Old 08 June 2015, 20:44   #1

Boat name: Still deciding
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu M40C
Ribshine

Well used this stuff over the weekend. Read lots about it making tubes streaky...followed instructions...ie spray, leave for 30 secs then rinse off. Did the very same on my orange tubes...awful looking. But a second application using a big sponge and working it in for 30 secs then rinsing with good pressure allieviates it significantly.

2 does of the polymarine finished worked in with clean soft pad and its perfectly presentable.

PS...I experimented and found that dampening tubes first also lessens the streaking effect somewhat.

Just thought I would add my tuppence worth as noticed lots of complaints about this.

Its similar to the effect if you need to clean an old enamel Bath with peroxide to remove blackening caused by bleach products...

No matter how evenly you apply the peroxide it streaks badly. Work it thoroughly and it makes the world if difference.

Ribshine is a bit pricey though - I emptied the bottle fairly quickly!
Old 08 June 2015, 20:57   #2

i don't like it and won't buy anymore.

there is sod all "shine" about it. they should call it ribmatt or something more fitting.

if you want REALLY shiney (read slippery!) then you need different stuff. ribcraft sell stuff that is meant to be REALLY shiney, not used it myself though.

i just use either- http://www.amazon.co.uk/303-Aerospac.../dp/B0004ELKC4

or

3M Vinyl & Hypalon Conditioner UV 250ml Protector - IBS Boat Supplies (this lasts a long time as it is like a paste)

cheers
Old 08 June 2015, 20:57   #3
RIBnet Supporter

It works best with some sort of rubbing. I use a very worn (soft) Scotchbrite pad. Good rinsing is essential and I use a protecting spray afterwards that gives it an even finish. The 5L RIBshine drum is much better value
Old 08 June 2015, 22:38   #4

Boat name: Still deciding
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Tohatsu M40C
Oh don't get me wrong...wasnt singing its praises. New boat owner...first time cleaning tubes. But wanted to clean it on Sat and its all that was available within 30 mile radius.

Was reading all different recommendations on cleaning stuff, decided wanted to play it safe and just buy something sold for the purpose this time around.

Just noticed when researching since buying the boat that lots of people complained of streaky finish and just wanted to add my findings since everyone here has given help and advice to me since joining.

I wont use it myself again...simply as I didn't find it good value at all.
Old 08 June 2015, 23:33   #5

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
If you are using any type of Ribshine/Ribrevive/ TFR or anything similar, I would not suggesrt applying to the tubes direct. Spraying on the tubes directly will result in streaking (which can be hard to get rid of). Put it on a sponge and work into the tubes a few feet at a time (rinsing off as you go). these concentrated detergents are good, but need to be used carefully!

Tags
rib