Old 16 February 2014, 15:02   #1

Town: Wales
Length: 5m +
RIBs with kids

After nearly buying a RIB a few years back currently have a 3 year old Bayliner 192 discovery but the flexibility and trailability of a RIB is really starting to appeal. My eldest has an increasing interest in dinghy sailing and a rib/sailing dinghy combination would work really well for us.

Would leave the RIB in a marina in North Wales, trail for weekends away/holidays and pull out for the winter. I am looking at a 6m RIB - any bigger and it would not fit on the marina budget berths and mean a significant rise in fees.

Now the question, my eldest is 10 and youngest 6. I don't want to start another thread about which Rib is best for families but am interested in what configurations people use with younger children. Like the idea of jockey seats but how can they be made to work with short legs (or cant they)?

Old 16 February 2014, 15:05   #2

Town: Lingfield
Boat name: Hot fish
Make: Humber Sport Pro
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DF300
8 meter Humber Sport pro. 2 jockeys, bench with 3 seats behind set low , with handles. Kids sit or stand and hold onto the back of the 2 jockey seats. Ages 13 and 10
Can top 47 knots on a good run

Sent from my iPad using Rib.net

Old 16 February 2014, 15:06   #3

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Seat belt straps....used as stirrups if legs aren't long enough to get the floor...
Old 16 February 2014, 15:28   #4
dnv

Town: Hamburg
Boat name: Der Delphin
Make: Parker
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 120HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon_ View Post
..., my eldest is 10 and youngest 6. ... Like the idea of jockey seats but how can they be made to work with short legs (or cant they)?
My boy was 6 when we bought the Parker, the girl was 8. They sit in the jockeys, not touching the floor with the feet. They use the backseats and are kinda jammed in. The seats on the Parker are very tight, that in combo with winged backrest make it comfy AND safe. They even sleep in that position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	91090  
Old 16 February 2014, 15:31   #5

Length: 3m +
Quote:
My eldest has an increasing interest in dinghy sailing and a rib/sailing dinghy combination would work really well for us.

Would leave the RIB in a marina in North Wales, trail for weekends away/holidays and pull out for the winter. I am looking at a 6m RIB - any bigger and it would not fit on the marina budget berths and mean a significant rise in fees.
If you are going to end up doing the "circuit" with him you may well want to be able to tow the RIB and a dinghy at the same time. If he's into Topper, Oppi or Tera then they will all car top. If he's into anything bigger you may want to put the boat above the RIB. The same applies if there might be multiple Toppers etc. While at the moment you might only be thinking of your own Son it would be common for parents to team up for the circuit so you may want to transport Son's friend's boat too... That makes the trailer pricey, but it also means you need to have supports that go up the sides of the sponson. So you may want to think about the width of the boat...
Old 16 February 2014, 15:41   #6

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:

Which marina are you looking at basing the RIB at?
Old 16 February 2014, 15:54   #7

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
i have these MARINE STAINLESS STEEL FOLDING MAST STEP YACHT SAILING | eBay fitted to my rear console and used like motorcycle footpegs. gives kids so much more confidence, safety and enjoyment. they are really well made, and fold up out of the way easily and without rattling etc.

Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
Festinghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2014, 16:07   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnv View Post
My boy was 6 when we bought the Parker, the girl was 8. They sit in the jockeys, not touching the floor with the feet. They use the backseats and are kinda jammed in. The seats on the Parker are very tight, that in combo with winged backrest make it comfy AND safe. They even sleep in that position.
I was thinking we might need to for a low bench (like on the ribeye 600) but the jockeys on that do look secure.
Old 16 February 2014, 16:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinghouse View Post
i have these MARINE STAINLESS STEEL FOLDING MAST STEP YACHT SAILING | eBay fitted to my rear console and used like motorcycle footpegs. gives kids so much more confidence, safety and enjoyment. they are really well made, and fold up out of the way easily and without rattling etc.
That's is a great idea! Thanks for that suggestion! I think I could make this work with jockeys...
Old 16 February 2014, 16:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
Which marina are you looking at basing the RIB at?
Conwy

Tags
rib