Old 16 February 2014, 19:02   #1

Town: Wales
Length: 5m +
RIBs with kids

After nearly buying a RIB a few years back currently have a 3 year old Bayliner 192 discovery but the flexibility and trailability of a RIB is really starting to appeal. My eldest has an increasing interest in dinghy sailing and a rib/sailing dinghy combination would work really well for us.

Would leave the RIB in a marina in North Wales, trail for weekends away/holidays and pull out for the winter. I am looking at a 6m RIB - any bigger and it would not fit on the marina budget berths and mean a significant rise in fees.

Now the question, my eldest is 10 and youngest 6. I don't want to start another thread about which Rib is best for families but am interested in what configurations people use with younger children. Like the idea of jockey seats but how can they be made to work with short legs (or cant they)?
Old 16 February 2014, 19:05   #2

Town: Lingfield
Boat name: Hot fish
Make: Humber Sport Pro
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DF300
8 meter Humber Sport pro. 2 jockeys, bench with 3 seats behind set low , with handles. Kids sit or stand and hold onto the back of the 2 jockey seats. Ages 13 and 10
Can top 47 knots on a good run

Sent from my iPad using Rib.net
Old 16 February 2014, 19:06   #3

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Seat belt straps....used as stirrups if legs aren't long enough to get the floor...
Old 16 February 2014, 19:28   #4
dnv

Town: Hamburg
Boat name: Der Delphin
Make: Parker
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 120HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon_ View Post
..., my eldest is 10 and youngest 6. ... Like the idea of jockey seats but how can they be made to work with short legs (or cant they)?
My boy was 6 when we bought the Parker, the girl was 8. They sit in the jockeys, not touching the floor with the feet. They use the backseats and are kinda jammed in. The seats on the Parker are very tight, that in combo with winged backrest make it comfy AND safe. They even sleep in that position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	91090  
Old 16 February 2014, 19:31   #5

Length: 3m +
Quote:
My eldest has an increasing interest in dinghy sailing and a rib/sailing dinghy combination would work really well for us.

Would leave the RIB in a marina in North Wales, trail for weekends away/holidays and pull out for the winter. I am looking at a 6m RIB - any bigger and it would not fit on the marina budget berths and mean a significant rise in fees.
If you are going to end up doing the "circuit" with him you may well want to be able to tow the RIB and a dinghy at the same time. If he's into Topper, Oppi or Tera then they will all car top. If he's into anything bigger you may want to put the boat above the RIB. The same applies if there might be multiple Toppers etc. While at the moment you might only be thinking of your own Son it would be common for parents to team up for the circuit so you may want to transport Son's friend's boat too... That makes the trailer pricey, but it also means you need to have supports that go up the sides of the sponson. So you may want to think about the width of the boat...
Old 16 February 2014, 19:41   #6

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:

Which marina are you looking at basing the RIB at?
Old 16 February 2014, 19:54   #7

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
i have these MARINE STAINLESS STEEL FOLDING MAST STEP YACHT SAILING | eBay fitted to my rear console and used like motorcycle footpegs. gives kids so much more confidence, safety and enjoyment. they are really well made, and fold up out of the way easily and without rattling etc.
Old 16 February 2014, 20:07   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnv View Post
My boy was 6 when we bought the Parker, the girl was 8. They sit in the jockeys, not touching the floor with the feet. They use the backseats and are kinda jammed in. The seats on the Parker are very tight, that in combo with winged backrest make it comfy AND safe. They even sleep in that position.
I was thinking we might need to for a low bench (like on the ribeye 600) but the jockeys on that do look secure.
Old 16 February 2014, 20:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinghouse View Post
i have these MARINE STAINLESS STEEL FOLDING MAST STEP YACHT SAILING | eBay fitted to my rear console and used like motorcycle footpegs. gives kids so much more confidence, safety and enjoyment. they are really well made, and fold up out of the way easily and without rattling etc.
That's is a great idea! Thanks for that suggestion! I think I could make this work with jockeys...
Old 16 February 2014, 20:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
Which marina are you looking at basing the RIB at?
Conwy
Old 16 February 2014, 20:57   #11

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Nice one Fester boy not bad for a Adams family member
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2014, 21:00   #12

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Conwy
Do they have any versadock type floating docks or would you need to antifoul the Rib?
Old 16 February 2014, 21:05   #13

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony t View Post
Nice one Fester boy not bad for a Adams family member
ask kerny about the corpse carrier on the back
Old 16 February 2014, 21:39   #14

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Quote:
I had this problem when specing my 5,3 with my 2 then 6 & 8. No problem with the eldler, but the younger's feet would not reach the deck
Thought about fold down stirrups/ pegs, but reasoned within a couple of years they would be able to reach the deck & I would have made holes in the pods for the short term.

My solution - 2"x4" footblocks abot 10" long with non-slip tops - bungeed around the pod. Has worked really well - cheaper than folding pegs / stirrups,& not obstructive if adults on the seats. Pods also pristine with no holes. Also gave flexibility if just out with one of them as she could side by side by side with me

Now the girls are a bit older older & feet reach the deck- redundant with no legacy on the boat.

If you want the set I made they're yours for a MacMillan donation - I can post some photos next weekend.

Just a thought on wingback seats with youngsters - ours got jammed between them when assessing them (quite amusing in the Ribcraft factory) so although I like them, on that practical evidence we decided not to go for them.
Old 17 February 2014, 10:43   #15

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
My nine year old prefers to stand behind the seat when she's not on the stick - I've added a rope handle so she has a handhold perfect for her size!

I've added a wide piece of webbing to the jockey seat, seat belt size,. The 5 year old uses this as a hand grip, horse reins style. He seems to have no issues in not touching the floor, and if he's on board we aren't jumping or out in anything that will bounce him too much.

As he grows the webbing can be removed easily or left in as it'll save whoever is there grabbing the one in front.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2014, 11:04   #16

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Something else to consider - that was very important to us - is the actual seating configuration.

We wouldn't compromise on
a) Single jockeys - didn't want the children on a bench, or double jockey where they would struggle to hold on in comfort and safety.

b) 2x2 layout. If I'm out with one of them I far prefer to have them beside me than behind me (far more fun / interesting for them as well keeping an eye on the plotter, monitoring radio etc ), and if out as a family there's an adult beside each child.

This limited our options on boat but I don't regret this for a minute.
Always consider the worst conditions your family might be caught out in - not the ones you plan to be out in. Weather & more importantly seas can change quickly.
Old 17 February 2014, 13:13   #17

Town: Looe - Plymouth
Boat name: Teal
Make: Coastline
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard Petrol 175
MMSI: 235087776
Life Lines
Having been out in some big seas with the children, we now all put on short life lines when the conditions dictate, so no one can get thrown out of the boat. The last two tragic accidents in the press with kids and ribs made me re think. Fitted 4 x folding pad eyes to the deck, and those elasticated lifelines to decent life jackets.
Old 17 February 2014, 19:30   #18

Town: Copenhagen
Make: Ribeye
Engine: 115hp OB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirib View Post
Life Lines Having been out in some big seas with the children, we now all put on short life lines when the conditions dictate, so no one can get thrown out of the boat. The last two tragic accidents in the press with kids and ribs made me re think. Fitted 4 x folding pad eyes to the deck, and those elasticated lifelines to decent life jackets.
I have my two sat on single jockeys with a lifeline attached to their in life jacket harnesses. We have found the sprung lifelines excellent. Like others we thought hard about configuration and wanted a low rear bench. In reality the bench is good when idling but for going quick the jockeys are best . They feel quite secure and we have the 2x2 layout so mum and dad are right next to them.
Old 17 February 2014, 20:40   #19

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirib View Post
Life Lines
Having been out in some big seas with the children, we now all put on short life lines when the conditions dictate, so no one can get thrown out of the boat. The last two tragic accidents in the press with kids and ribs made me re think. Fitted 4 x folding pad eyes to the deck, and those elasticated lifelines to decent life jackets.
Have you considered what would happen if your Rib ends up upside down? I know you have to try pretty hard to do stupid stuff like that but it does happen. Hit a submerged object at speed and you might well flip it. Is there air space? Will the life jackets let the breath? How easy to unhook? How easy to get out with the LJ on? What if the impact knocks someone out - can someone else do it?
Old 17 February 2014, 20:53   #20
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Interestingly, commercial coding for RIBS in Ireland requires lap belts for all bench type seats. Tough sh1t if it flips (you shouldn't be going fast enough to flip?)

Tags
rib