Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
This was one of the most interesting posts/ observations/ question that had been put to this forum in some time
Thank you.

As I said at the beginning I am not an expert as I have only been boating for 3 years, but similar sized boats as mine I have been in, appear (in my opinion) to be just a bumpy and slam the same as mine, which has a medium v hull.

I am not trying to justify my make of rib or saying that medium v's are as good as deep v's, but just saying it as it is on what I have experienced.
Old 13 June 2013, 09:01   #42

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
I did need to apologise
Dont worry .. I'm thick skinned
Quote:
most of the time he's taking the piss or winding someone up
thats a bit harsh
Quote:
I see the rest of this went in the bilges
If you get caught laughing or smirking around here, its the headmasters office for the belt

Anyway ... I have a photo of what I mean .. its the only hull Ive ever owned over the years with rails like it, but its very effective .. the previous owner attached a couple of stainless pads to the transom to improve lift further which overall gives the hull the performance of one a good 3/4 of a meter longer than it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1872.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	81371  
Old 13 June 2013, 09:10   #43

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
A bit like a ballistic that one, they get up and go well but are uncomfortable, there is a balance and a lot of people have got close, but with different layouts, weights, engines, sea conditions, drivers, to get a perfect boat is nigh on impossible, you can have the same hull with different layout and its totally a different boat.
Old 13 June 2013, 09:11   #44

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
Thank you.

As I said at the beginning I am not an expert as I have only been boating for 3 years, but similar sized boats as mine I have been in, appear (in my opinion) to be just a bumpy and slam the same as mine, which has a medium v hull.

I am not trying to justify my make of rib or saying that medium v's are as good as deep v's, but just saying it as it is on what I have experienced.
I must say I have been impressed with Imogen whenever I've seen her in action!...Especialy on the Anglesey ''Jolly''!..and I know Matt h was too!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2013, 18:42   #45

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
Kerny, i Have say I was really surprised how good that rib of your is, its superb! Now rev it up Numnuts!! yeeeeehaaaa
Old 13 June 2013, 19:02   #46

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
I must say I have been impressed with Imogen whenever I've seen her in action!...Especialy on the Anglesey ''Jolly''!..and I know Matt h was too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
Kerny, i Have say I was really surprised how good that rib of your is, its superb! Now rev it up Numnuts!! yeeeeehaaaa
Thanks guys
Old 13 June 2013, 19:31   #47

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
Can i borrow the keys?
Old 13 June 2013, 19:48   #48

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
I have an Avon Adventure, which come in for a lot of criticism on ribnet. This is my first rib, and so I do not have much to compare it to, but on the recent round IOW trip, we kept up with the pack, and I did not think we were slamming any worse than anyone else of our size. The leg from Alum Bay to Cowes was typical Solent wind over tide chop, and we were keeping up 25 - 30 knots' and only falling off the occasional wave! The boat has always felt safe and in control to me.

So I am sure that there are better handling ribs at this size, but I am not really interested in ultimate speed (40 knots is plenty for this rag-and-stick man) or ultimate rough weather handling, just a safe boat to have some fun in with family and friends. The boat did not cost me a lot of money, and has a lot of space for its size. So my question is am I missing out by keeping with my Avon?
Old 13 June 2013, 20:27   #49

Town: Southampton
Boat name: 'Mojo'
Make: Searider
Length: 4m +
Bucksribster.....

What size is your rib.?

I recently purchased a 4.5m Adventure (2004), I've only been on the water for just over a year and my first experience was a 16ft Fletcher speedboat, so my new rib did feel like a Rolls Royce compared to that.

However...having completed my RYA PB2 on a 6.8 ribcraft, I know there is a moooohasive difference in sea handling.!

Biggest prob I find is the layout, making it very bow light, a few kilos in the front locker helps, but I find now I've been out a few times she does slam (alot!) The keel is quite shallow, making it an excellent beach hopper, and easy to launch and recover, but not very family friendly.

I'm happy with what I've got (for now), and i'm getting to grips with it's capabilities, but I'll be wanting more at some point so I'm also interested in a rib that slams less.....
Old 13 June 2013, 20:36   #50

Quote:
A bit like a ballistic that one, they get up and go well but are uncomfortable
Well this one isnt, and you would be very surprised by that if you saw what was ontop of it too... almost nout ... a single jockey, and no ballast what so ever. .. no forward fuel tank or anything. That suggests that the form in contact with the water is very good at deflecting what hits it.

In the current climate of people powering boats overly so .. maybe this is a factor, as this hull only has a 75, whereas I always thought a 90 would have been the minimum .. so there is perhaps another reason, why peeps complain about slamming ? (not that the op was doing so) .. they just try to go too fast in conditions where you cant do that

Example .. A Northcraft 5.8 seasport I used to have with a 135 was terrible in the chop when making progress .. very slender bow, no rails up front and too much power.. terrible chine walker too
Old 13 June 2013, 20:46   #51
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Only had my Ballistic out for a few hours, so I'm not qualified to comment much as my experience actually using it is pretty limited.

However, it did 35 knots across the top of Solent chop that'd get my 5.4 down to displacement speeds and it didn't feel uncomfortable at all. I haven't had it airborne yet though, despite Ballastboy's efforts

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2013, 21:04   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Only had my Ballistic out for a few hours, so I'm not qualified to comment much as my experience actually using it is pretty limited.

However, it did 35 knots across the top of Solent chop that'd get my 5.4 down to displacement speeds and it didn't feel uncomfortable at all. I haven't had it airborne yet though, despite Ballastboy's efforts
Yeah but ye gots 2M on your SR there and that maks a hell of a difference in its self regardless of the hull make up.

When I owned a 6.3 and then to an 8.5 it was like night and day .. regardless of the inboard set up.. an 8.5 straddled all the regular chop all the time.

So there is a hull I might add , that suits your waters better, if its the kind of weather you usually get .. but its always bigger than your budget
Old 13 June 2013, 21:21   #53
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Yeah but ye gots 2M on your SR there and that maks a hell of a difference in its self regardless of the hull make up.

When I owned a 6.3 and then to an 8.5 it was like night and day .. regardless of the inboard set up.. an 8.5 straddled all the regular chop all the time.

So there is a hull I might add , that suits your waters better, if its the kind of weather you usually get .. but its always bigger than your budget
Agreed.

It's not the 1st 7.5m+ boat I've been on though -just the 1st I've owned

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2013, 21:25   #54

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksribster View Post
I have an Avon Adventure, which come in for a lot of criticism on ribnet. This is my first rib, and so I do not have much to compare it to, but on the recent round IOW trip, we kept up with the pack, and I did not think we were slamming any worse than anyone else of our size. The leg from Alum Bay to Cowes was typical Solent wind over tide chop, and we were keeping up 25 - 30 knots' and only falling off the occasional wave! The boat has always felt safe and in control to me.

So I am sure that there are better handling ribs at this size, but I am not really interested in ultimate speed (40 knots is plenty for this rag-and-stick man) or ultimate rough weather handling, just a safe boat to have some fun in with family and friends. The boat did not cost me a lot of money, and has a lot of space for its size. So my question is am I missing out by keeping with my Avon?
Nope, unlikely, horses for courses and if it does what you need, why change.

Try a ride in a couple of other boats and see for yourself.
Old 13 June 2013, 22:32   #55

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Engine: Suzuki 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
Bucksribster.....

What size is your rib.?

I recently purchased a 4.5m Adventure (2004), I've only been on the water for just over a year and my first experience was a 16ft Fletcher speedboat, so my new rib did feel like a Rolls Royce compared to that.

However...having completed my RYA PB2 on a 6.8 ribcraft, I know there is a moooohasive difference in sea handling.!

Biggest prob I find is the layout, making it very bow light, a few kilos in the front locker helps, but I find now I've been out a few times she does slam (alot!) The keel is quite shallow, making it an excellent beach hopper, and easy to launch and recover, but not very family friendly.

I'm happy with what I've got (for now), and i'm getting to grips with it's capabilities, but I'll be wanting more at some point so I'm also interested in a rib that slams less.....
Mine is a 5.6, so I guess it is bound to be a bit smoother. Comparing your 4.5m with a 6.8 is not really a fair match. Your boat probably cost less than a tank of his fuel ;-) Mine is a 2000 vintage, so a bit long in the tooth. I bought a rib that I could trail as I used to keep a boat in a marina, but when I worked out how much it cost, and how few times I used it....... So what i needed was something easy to tow and launch, and I am not sure going much bigger would fit the bill.