Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 11 June 2013, 17:11   #11
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
As much as the landing Steve, the whole wave to wave process is amplified as when you hit the creat you fly higher than Hadd as his hull will not be pushed up as much, as he slices more in to the wave.

Agreed, weight is another issue for sure.

The only true way would be compare two boats from one brand such as a 5.5m Humber. A destroyer vs the Assault. I've not been in both, but have seen them in the sea. It's plainly obvious which you'd cross the overalls in!!!
__________________

__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2013, 17:12   #12
RIBnet supporter
 
jambo's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,787
RIBase
There is a lot to be said about powering into the weather if your rib and you can handle it, it does make for a smoother ride. It does take a bit of getting used to though as it is kinda against the smart thinking
__________________
jambo
'Carpe Diem'
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2013, 17:12   #13
Member
 
Festinghouse's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,398
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
i convinced a friend of mine to put 3 bags of sand in the bow of his avon. he was convinced it would slow him down, but because it controlled the slamming he could go faster. the layout of his boat left the bow very light.
__________________
"Life may often suck, but the alternative is unacceptable"
MMSI Sticker

Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
Festinghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2013, 17:13   #14
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,040
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Yes, definitely.
Then mine mustn't be as medium as I think then, because going round Anglesey with the other nobbers which was quite choppy to say the least I could keep up with a few of the bigger boats and also at a decent speed. I did ache a lot though when we got back to Ty Calch, but I guess that I was not the only one that day.

I guess that I will have to ask Matt H, but he is mad anyways
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2013, 17:23   #15
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
There is a lot to be said about powering into the weather if your rib and you can handle it, it does make for a smoother ride.
But only for certain hulls ive found of similar size, some will not do this at all, and you also need the horsepower too
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2013, 17:29   #16
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post

Then mine mustn't be as medium as I think then, because going round Anglesey with the other nobbers which was quite choppy to say the least I could keep up with a few of the bigger boats and also at a decent speed. I did ache a lot though when we got back to Ty Calch, but I guess that I was not the only one that day.

I guess that I will have to ask Matt H, but he is mad anyways
I think that's the point Steve, whilst one might keep up with another bigger boat, you can't tell from your own boat if a) you are in more discomfort or b) your boat is flying around more.

Re powering on, as long as you're well balanced it can often better to power up than slowly ride up and down and up and down, but if wave pattern lengthens suddenly past what you can broach from crest to crest..... STUFF! ;o)

That's the skill in helmsman ship and knowing your boat!
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2013, 17:32   #17
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,040
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
I think that's the point Steve, whilst one might keep up with another bigger boat, you can't tell from your own boat if a) you are in more discomfort or b) your boat is flying around more.

Re powering on, as long as you're well balanced it can often better to power up than slowly ride up and down and up and down, but if wave pattern lengthens suddenly past what you can broach from crest to crest..... STUFF! ;o)

That's the skill in helmsman ship and knowing your boat!
Are you saying that I am a good helmsman the Paul
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2013, 17:39   #18
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post

Are you saying that I am a good helmsman the Paul
I never quite said that!

Rather just prepared to take a more uncomfortable ride to keep up!!!!
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2013, 17:44   #19
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,040
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
I never quite said that!

Rather just prepared to take a more uncomfortable ride to keep up!!!!
Thats not true... I don't think that my ride was any more uncomfortable than any of the other boats my size and I had no trouble keeping up with any of you and you was mostly well behind me .
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2013, 17:47   #20
Member
 
Nick Hearne's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
My old Ribtec 585 was the softest ride of any boat if been in.
Softer than the new one?
__________________

__________________
Member of the Ribeye supporters club!!!
Member of Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Member of SR4 club
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.