Old 17 March 2004, 11:57   #1

Town: Bristol
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 150 OPTI
Ribs on inland waterways

May seem like a silly question, but has anyone used their rib for inland cruising?

Sure, I'll spend most of my time jumping waves along the coastline, however as I've got a boat and an engine I wouldn't mind the odd excursion inland for some sedate exploring now and then!

What may I need to do before trying this? I believe I may need some sort of licence? Any issues with the engine driving flat out at 5mph for several hours on end?

Anyone done much of this or wish to share any advice?
Old 17 March 2004, 12:10   #2
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
The engine should be fine running at 5mph. I ran a 1982 50HP 2/ Suzuki on the lower parts of the Thames and even that was ok running slowly all day.

Licensing will depend on who runs the particular inland waterway you’re using. The Thames is run by the Environment Agency above Teddington, most other waterways are run by British Waterways. The National Trust do run some and they are very fussy about the size of engine you can use, I think its something like a max of 30HP or 1HP per foot.

If you going through locks make sure you have some long ropes and I would recommend fenders. You may also need lock keys, which will be available from chandlers for about £15.
Old 17 March 2004, 12:14   #3

Town: Cippenham
Boat name: Falcon1
Make: Falcon
Engine: 115hp Mariner Four S
MMSI: 235021077
use ours on the Thames from around Windsor, nice on a warm summers day..you will need a licence but you dont have to worry too much about the BSS as a RIB is classed as an open boat.

We have a four stroke and that is fine on little over tickover and hardly uses any fuel.No limit on engine size on the Thames just speed.
Old 17 March 2004, 12:19   #4

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15
Most inland waterways are governed by the British waterways board you can contact them at :-

www.britishwaterways.co.uk

You do need a licence, not sure how much they are these days, But the maximum width of boat iin a lock is 7 feet 2 inches some bridge holes are not much wider than this, so you will probably still have a problem even if you let the tubes down!!!!!!! Also if you a large A frame you may not pass under some bridges

Maximum speed is 4MPH I did a lot of canalling 20 years ago with a small 2 stroke and oiling up of the plugs was a problem as you are running at almost tickover hours on end. Perhaps 2 stroke technology has improved these days

But don't let that put you off there are plenty of rivers that are navigable and also large canals eg Bridgwater and even Manchester Ship Canal both i think governed by the Manchester Ship Canal Company. If you intend passing thro locks you will need a windlasss of the appropriate type for the canal.

Good luck
Old 17 March 2004, 21:15   #5

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
Hi,

Check out.....

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....threadid=2822&