Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 14 September 2012, 16:49   #1

Length: 5m +
RIBS Not as simple as I thought !

Ok, so I though I'd pick up a small sub 5m rib for a bit of fun, the quest to find a suitable boat is becoming a bit of a minefield, so many brands ! I've been around boats all my life but never heard of many that are out there.

Are there any brands which you would recommend a newbie stays away from ? I assumed all ribs had hyperlon tubes I'm working my way through as many threads on the forum as possible but any critical pointers or significant nuggets of knowledge that you can pass on to give me a headstart would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Old 14 September 2012, 16:59   #2

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Be easier to list the brands to buy.... well known brands are Avon, Humber, Ribcraft, Osprey.

Can't think of any others at the moment.

In the sub 5m catergory I'd be looking at Whispers SR4.7
Old 14 September 2012, 17:21   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Be easier to list the brands to buy.... well known brands are Avon, Humber, Ribcraft, Osprey.

Can't think of any others at the moment.

In the sub 5m catergory I'd be looking at Whispers SR4.7
Thanks, some names I know there. I always remember Zodiac as a kid too, but have seen a few names like Rapid, tornado, Valiant etc.

It would be good to buy a British made boat, support the UK industry and all that !
Old 14 September 2012, 17:46   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTTu View Post
Thanks, some names I know there. I always remember Zodiac as a kid too, but have seen a few names like Rapid, tornado, Valiant etc.

It would be good to buy a British made boat, support the UK industry and all that !
Zodiac are still the largest manufacturer of inflatable boats worldwide, both in the leisure and commercial sector. They bought Avon a few years ago. The majority of their leisure ribs use Strongan Duotex (PVC), however they've started using hypalon on some Pro models. What I would say is the Zodiac/Avon leisure ribs (including Bombard) have a relatively shallow v hull, so if you're looking to be out in most weathers, then look for something a little deeper like a Searider.

Tornado use PU material, although that might have changed. Well respected boats for diving and rough weather use.

Valiant use PVC (on leisure models) as far as I'm aware.

You could also consider Ribquest, they do a 4.8m, but not cheap if you're looking to buy new.
Old 14 September 2012, 19:53   #5
NSS

Length: no boat
I've just bought a new RIB in the size range you're looking at and, like you, I struggled to sort the wheat from the chaff. Trouble is, one man's wheat may be another man's chaff, so the first thing I would suggest is you need to decide what sort of use you want to put your RIB to, where you're likely to use it, the likely make-up of any passengers you'll regularly carry (and what may best suit them), etc.

Many on here will tell you that you must have a RIB that's capable of going out in a howling gale and mountainous waves, and will point at Seariders and other 'hardcore' boats. And if that's your bag then they're probably quite right.

Personally, my requirement was very different, but it wasn't until I looked at some of the options that I was able to focus on what exactly I did want, and then to identify the boat that best suited my needs.
Old 14 September 2012, 20:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS View Post
I've just bought a new RIB in the size range you're looking at and, like you, I struggled to sort the wheat from the chaff. Trouble is, one man's wheat may be another man's chaff, so the first thing I would suggest is you need to decide what sort of use you want to put your RIB to, where you're likely to use it, the likely make-up of any passengers you'll regularly carry (and what may best suit them), etc.

Many on here will tell you that you must have a RIB that's capable of going out in a howling gale and mountainous waves, and will point at Seariders and other 'hardcore' boats. And if that's your bag then they're probably quite right.

Personally, my requirement was very different, but it wasn't until I looked at some of the options that I was able to focus on what exactly I did want, and then to identify the boat that best suited my needs.

Alas, I am a fair weather boater, just having a bit of fun round the bay is what I'm after. Taking the kids fishing, a day at the beach and a bit of blast now and then is on the agenda for me.

I've seen a few nice looking Ribeyes around but they seem quite expensive. It has to be less than 5m though as anything bigger is hassle with storage.
Old 14 September 2012, 20:26   #7

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS

So what did you buy ...!
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 21:45   #8
NSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony t View Post
So what did you buy ...!
One of these...
Old 14 September 2012, 22:06   #9
Dhf

Congrats looks good to me. Hope you have fun with your new purchase.
Old 14 September 2012, 23:49   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
Where r u in the UK Stu? If you can get along to the Southampton boat show in the next week it's a great opportunity to see all sorts of ribs, and talk to lots and lots of people about what you want.
They even have a try a boat, so you can get out on some........ Just a thought........
Old 15 September 2012, 06:15   #11

Quote:
One of these...
That looks a great boat, I've never seen that model before, I watched a vid here and read a test on the boat too. Its the kind of thing I would probably go for, its really smart ! More lifestyle than most ribs I've looked at. Did you get a decent deal ?
Old 15 September 2012, 06:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
Where r u in the UK Stu? If you can get along to the Southampton boat show in the next week it's a great opportunity to see all sorts of ribs, and talk to lots and lots of people about what you want.
They even have a try a boat, so you can get out on some........ Just a thought........
I live in Poole, so the Boatshow would great I just have no time to get down there during the week but might try to get there next weekend. I just hate crowds at events like that but I might brave it and come next weekend.
Old 15 September 2012, 10:15   #13

Town: London
Boat name: Various
Make: Various -
Engine: 2.5 - 250 hp
Stu,

We are there represented on the Zodiac stand by Julie,

Julie will be happy to answer any questions / advise on which particular model will suit you,

James
Open Monday to Saturday - 0900 to 1800 (sometimes later)
ChasTheBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2012, 15:49   #14

Town: Plymouth
Length: 10m +
Humber get my vote. We have purchased a 5.5m & 7.5m fom them this year and been very pleased with the price and build quality.
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2012, 14:25   #15

Town: Globe
Boat name: Floaty Weirdo
Make: 15m bigego
Length: 10m +
Engine: Ford Alternantor
Quote:
One of these...
Arr you went for a hospital rib, all clinical and shiney, should have got an tatty old searider, roughed it a bit. You'll spend your life trying to keep it clean and new, fatal mistake, get a dog that does the job and you dont have to do it yourself. In other words, I couldnt afford your one !!! Nice boat, hired one in Sardinia, well a joker boat with similar size and fittings, well nice!
Old 16 September 2012, 14:42   #16

Town: Northampton
Make: RibTec
Engine: Outbaord mariner 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by spareribs View Post
Arr you went for a hospital rib, all clinical and shiney, should have got an tatty old searider, roughed it a bit. You'll spend your life trying to keep it clean and new, fatal mistake, get a dog that does the job and you dont have to do it yourself. In other words, I couldnt afford your one !!! Nice boat, hired one in Sardinia, well a joker boat with similar size and fittings, well nice!
Thats why I when for black tubes when I had them replaced.

:-)
Old 16 September 2012, 15:23   #17
NSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTTu View Post
Did you get a decent deal ?
I believe it was the last unsold Generation 430 in the country (certainly the last at BHG in Lymington and I understand they're the sole UK importer). It was their showroom demo boat, though it had never had an engine installed and is yet to get wet.

They were selling it off as Walker Bay have now replaced the 430 model with the Generation 450 - though the only difference seems to be that the sponsons have been extended 20cms to facilitate an uprating of the max engine power from 60hp to 75hp.

All in all I hope to have it in the water for something around £8k off of list price.
Old 16 September 2012, 15:30   #18
NSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareribs View Post
Well, as I work at a hospital, I guess it's quite appropriate.

Last one had white tubes too, so I'm used to keeping it clean, and I couldn't have afforded it either, but for the fact BHG were keen to sell