Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 14 September 2012, 12:49   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 5m +
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 39
RIBS Not as simple as I thought !

Ok, so I though I'd pick up a small sub 5m rib for a bit of fun, the quest to find a suitable boat is becoming a bit of a minefield, so many brands ! I've been around boats all my life but never heard of many that are out there.

Are there any brands which you would recommend a newbie stays away from ? I assumed all ribs had hyperlon tubes I'm working my way through as many threads on the forum as possible but any critical pointers or significant nuggets of knowledge that you can pass on to give me a headstart would be most appreciated.

Thanks
__________________

__________________
sTTu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 12:59   #2
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Be easier to list the brands to buy.... well known brands are Avon, Humber, Ribcraft, Osprey.

Can't think of any others at the moment.

In the sub 5m catergory I'd be looking at Whispers SR4.7
__________________

__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 13:21   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 5m +
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Be easier to list the brands to buy.... well known brands are Avon, Humber, Ribcraft, Osprey.

Can't think of any others at the moment.

In the sub 5m catergory I'd be looking at Whispers SR4.7
Thanks, some names I know there. I always remember Zodiac as a kid too, but have seen a few names like Rapid, tornado, Valiant etc.

It would be good to buy a British made boat, support the UK industry and all that !
__________________
sTTu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 13:46   #4
Member
 
spartacus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,268
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTTu View Post
Thanks, some names I know there. I always remember Zodiac as a kid too, but have seen a few names like Rapid, tornado, Valiant etc.

It would be good to buy a British made boat, support the UK industry and all that !
Zodiac are still the largest manufacturer of inflatable boats worldwide, both in the leisure and commercial sector. They bought Avon a few years ago. The majority of their leisure ribs use Strongan Duotex (PVC), however they've started using hypalon on some Pro models. What I would say is the Zodiac/Avon leisure ribs (including Bombard) have a relatively shallow v hull, so if you're looking to be out in most weathers, then look for something a little deeper like a Searider.

Tornado use PU material, although that might have changed. Well respected boats for diving and rough weather use.

Valiant use PVC (on leisure models) as far as I'm aware.

You could also consider Ribquest, they do a 4.8m, but not cheap if you're looking to buy new.
__________________
Is that with or without VAT?
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 15:53   #5
NSS
RIBnet supporter
 
NSS's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: cariboo too
Make: WB Generation 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 501
I've just bought a new RIB in the size range you're looking at and, like you, I struggled to sort the wheat from the chaff. Trouble is, one man's wheat may be another man's chaff, so the first thing I would suggest is you need to decide what sort of use you want to put your RIB to, where you're likely to use it, the likely make-up of any passengers you'll regularly carry (and what may best suit them), etc.

Many on here will tell you that you must have a RIB that's capable of going out in a howling gale and mountainous waves, and will point at Seariders and other 'hardcore' boats. And if that's your bag then they're probably quite right.

Personally, my requirement was very different, but it wasn't until I looked at some of the options that I was able to focus on what exactly I did want, and then to identify the boat that best suited my needs.
__________________
NSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 16:26   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 5m +
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS View Post
I've just bought a new RIB in the size range you're looking at and, like you, I struggled to sort the wheat from the chaff. Trouble is, one man's wheat may be another man's chaff, so the first thing I would suggest is you need to decide what sort of use you want to put your RIB to, where you're likely to use it, the likely make-up of any passengers you'll regularly carry (and what may best suit them), etc.

Many on here will tell you that you must have a RIB that's capable of going out in a howling gale and mountainous waves, and will point at Seariders and other 'hardcore' boats. And if that's your bag then they're probably quite right.

Personally, my requirement was very different, but it wasn't until I looked at some of the options that I was able to focus on what exactly I did want, and then to identify the boat that best suited my needs.

Alas, I am a fair weather boater, just having a bit of fun round the bay is what I'm after. Taking the kids fishing, a day at the beach and a bit of blast now and then is on the agenda for me.

I've seen a few nice looking Ribeyes around but they seem quite expensive. It has to be less than 5m though as anything bigger is hassle with storage.
__________________
sTTu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 16:26   #7
Member
 
tony t's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS
I've just bought a new RIB in the size range you're looking at and, like you, I struggled to sort the wheat from the chaff. Trouble is, one man's wheat may be another man's chaff, so the first thing I would suggest is you need to decide what sort of use you want to put your RIB to, where you're likely to use it, the likely make-up of any passengers you'll regularly carry (and what may best suit them), etc.

Many on here will tell you that you must have a RIB that's capable of going out in a howling gale and mountainous waves, and will point at Seariders and other 'hardcore' boats. And if that's your bag then they're probably quite right.

Personally, my requirement was very different, but it wasn't until I looked at some of the options that I was able to focus on what exactly I did want, and then to identify the boat that best suited my needs.
So what did you buy ...!
__________________
When you get to the end of your rope..tie a knot and hang on..!!
Aberdovey Ribs
B.I.O.C.Member
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 17:45   #8
NSS
RIBnet supporter
 
NSS's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: cariboo too
Make: WB Generation 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony t View Post
So what did you buy ...!
One of these...
__________________
NSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 18:06   #9
Dhf
Member
 
Dhf's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,012

Congrats looks good to me. Hope you have fun with your new purchase.
__________________
Dhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 19:49   #10
Member
 
Crusher's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 626
RIBase
Where r u in the UK Stu? If you can get along to the Southampton boat show in the next week it's a great opportunity to see all sorts of ribs, and talk to lots and lots of people about what you want.
They even have a try a boat, so you can get out on some........ Just a thought........
__________________

__________________
Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.