Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hartley
ok ok 1:0
Chris - You should not concede so easilly - technically speaking as the whole lot is rotating around the sun at aproximately 70,000mph all the engine parts are moving all the time

roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2005, 16:25   #22

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by britemp
If buying a Ribeye 600 with a 115 Yam is a really bad idea for any reason please post otherwise I think I'm going to spend a bit of money I can't really afford soon!
If you want a sedate pottering about RIB then go ahead. If you want excitement and a huge inventory of electronic equipment in a superbly balanced, high powered, any-weather, extreme RIB then buy this one: "top banana" Osprey Viper 6m - Optimax 150 - 16,000 ono

Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2005, 18:50   #23

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
Chris - You should not concede so easilly - technically speaking as the whole lot is rotating around the sun at aproximately 70,000mph all the engine parts are moving all the time
very very true

mark...i take that back

so do we have any other nsu fans out there?
Old 23 September 2005, 23:24   #24

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I don't reckon Ribeyes very much

I think they are aimed at punters and they are the Hyundai Coupe of the rib world!

I have always had to work hard for my money ( apart from the 10 years in IT) and I don't like buying a product that I think won't hold it's value in proportion to the competiton. I believe that to be one of Ribeyes shortcomings.

Before you buy your playtime I sugest you check out Boats and Outboards and see how many Ribeyes are for sale and for how long they have been for sale. I's be surprised if any have shifted and you could be in that position in a few years time.

A few years ago I had a real issue with the craftsmanship ( definitely not the right word) of Ribeyes laminators. It is possible that with the collapse of Prestige (S.A. laminating subcontractors) and the subsequent purchase by Ribeye that the QC has improved , but I would certainly advise getting somebody from Osmatech to go over my intended Hull with a meter and a skilled eye.

However I do like th hull design and think it is good in the water

It's no point me challenging your Decision without coming up with viable alternatives. So Solent Ribs ( I believe there is a Distributor on the Isle of Wight ) Coastline (from Hamble) I also think Leeways (IOW) boat represents good value and would be most certainly be built very well. XR ribs and Humber maybe but humbers have a rather disturbing way of creeping up from a good base price when you start to add things like seats

Secondhand I'd agree with RichardB and give Top Bananna a shufty it would be a vey decent boat with your Folks on and a very lively one with them off

Do Ribeye have PVCU tubes?

If However you already have bought your Ribeye the ignore what I have said and get out there and enjoy your ribbing!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2005, 04:08   #25

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
I think they are aimed at punters and they are the Hyundai Coupe of the rib world!
Don't know much about the Ribeye boats - but I used to own a V6 Hyundai Coupe - Great Car - Went like stink very well made - 5 year unlimited mileage warranty, loads of electronics as standard. unbelievable price - I did over 80,000 miles in mine from new before I traded it in and never has a single problem with it and loved driving every mile in it.

If any boat could claim to be as feature rich, high performing, reliable and as good value for money as one of those then I would snap it up like a shot - in fact I'm hoping that the Ribcraft I have ordered will live up to all of those attributes.
Old 24 September 2005, 09:24   #26

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
WHY DID YOU BUY THE rIBCRAFT?
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2005, 13:01   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
WHY DID YOU BUY THE rIBCRAFT?
I ordered it about 5 weeks ago - I get delivery in 7 weeks (mid november).
Old 24 September 2005, 13:35   #28

Oops - i miss-read that - thought you said when - DOH!!!

WHY ?

Well the boat size was dictated to me by the length of space i have to store it.

So I went looking at the websites of all boat manufacturers I could find downloaded as much info as I could - and every time i found a boat i liked the look of I would check the forums (mainly RIBnet) to see what everyone else had to say about them - After looking at all the makes I pretty much came down to either Avon, Humber or Ribcraft.

It was these boats that seemed to be designed to do what I wanted to do in the boat. I was originally biased towards humber (as I already owned one of those and she was a very tough little boat). In the end I decided that it was going to be the Ribcradft or the Humber - Im not sure why I eliminated the Avon - it might sound silly but it was probably as much their web site that put me off than anyhting else. - both Humbers and Ribcrafts sites let you see alot more of the veraious options etc than the Avon site does.

So I got quotes from both companies for as identical boats as i could get - and they came out about the same for a humber ocean pro 5.5 and ther Ribcraft 5.85 so i basically compared pros and cons of each.

The Ribcraft won on these counts.

1. Better quality finish (I really like the fact they glass the console and seating to the deck rather than screws and sealer)
2. Tow Frame (humber dont do them)
3. 2 hours drive from my house instead of 7
4. Practically nothing bad has ever been said about Ribcrafts on RIBnet or in conversation

So I then went to have a look round the factory and when I saw the love and care going into making those boats it made my mind up...
Old 24 September 2005, 15:27   #29

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan_deezy
aha Chris! an NSU? now your showing your age

'orrid little cars with 'orrid little engines

although you could degrease them in the kitchen sink, ask my ex-wife
C'mon Stan, An touch of the NSU a dose of the "Itchy Fannies"!
Old 24 September 2005, 16:45   #30

Town: Cowes
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
If you want a sedate pottering about RIB then go ahead.
Actually that's exactly what i want!

I pottered along at 35 knots in the Ribeye in some lumpy seas and considered it sufficient for a first RIB to be used mainly for transport around the Solent, rather than for the odd weekend blast!

Maybe my second RIB will have a couple of 275 Verados on the back, but in the meantime I intend to learn to swim. . . . . .

The RIB in the ad is no good at all - yucky colours and the seats are all wrong!