RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
So say something nasty happened. If children are ratcheted down to the Jockey seat, how do they get out of the boat? Obviously the majority would say 'we would just pull them out' but what if that wasn't an option ?

Just a thought...
Bigfoot. Its all a case of balancing risks. When people are suggesting racheting a child in they are talking about a child in a car seat - so we are dealing here with a very small person who is a non swimmer. The sad reality is that someone that size enterring the sea is going to get hypothermic very quickly. (Especially since most will not be in a drysuit or other "proper" protective kit) Cold shock will be even more dramatic. So it becomes even more important that a young child doesn't go in the water in the first place.

The "increased" risk from a strapped in child are similar to those on a yacht - principally capsize. Now whilst there are people here who have capsized ribs I don't think any of them would have been doing what they were doing or in the conditions they were in with any children on board.

I have only "ribbed" with one child at a time and 2 adults on board - so one restains the child whilst the other drives. We will soon be ribbing with 2 kids and strapping in will become a much more likely consideration. However as in my experience young children don't like waves in their face or bouncing over waves we are only out in very calm conditions anyway.
Old 17 April 2008, 11:55   #22

Town: Portsmouth
Length: no boat
could get them one of the SUM masks ! heheheh
Old 17 April 2008, 18:57   #23

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by benc View Post
Did you use any reinforcement? Or just a washer or something either side of the jockey side?

Thanks

Ben
Ben I just used large stainless penny washers. The Leeway Seat pod is pretty thick so no need for reinforcement

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote