Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 16 July 2017, 07:49   #1

Town: hampshire
Length: 7m +
ribeye 785s transom thickness, transom plate advice

does anyone know the ribeye 785s transom thickness? Also is it worth putting a backing plate on the inside of the transom to spread the engine load when you change to a bigger engine? Finally when setting engine height, in this case about 3rd bolt hole down on engine transom mount, do people pack the gap between top of the transom and engine transom mount as a gap is left there if you raise the engine to get the right cavitation plate height. (if so what with). Any help appreciated.
Old 17 July 2017, 07:20   #2

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
These can take a 300 hp mounted to standard transom as is

Most are fitted with 200/250 hp,lumps so should be fine as is, putting a stainless plate internally to assist in spreading the load will do no harm great believer in using large stainless washers internally, 60mm but that's me

What's going on it?
I have photo of one some place I did where I cut a section of marine ply and coated in glass with flocoat on top to act as a wedge will search for it ,
Cavitation plate wants to be an inch to inch and a half above the bottom of the hull
Old 17 July 2017, 07:32   #3

transom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent View Post
These can take a 300 hp mounted to standard transom as is

Most are fitted with 200/250 hp,lumps so should be fine as is, putting a stainless plate internally to assist in spreading the load will do no harm great believer in using large stainless washers internally, 60mm but that's me

What's going on it?
I have photo of one some place I did where I cut a section of marine ply and coated in glass with flocoat on top to act as a wedge will search for it ,
Cavitation plate wants to be an inch to inch and a half above the bottom of the hull
Cheers, i'm putting a honda 225hp on it, i believe it will be the third hole down on the engine mounts to get the right height on the cavitation plate according to ribeye (?) which i guess will leave approx 1'' inch gap between the transom and engine. Honda say transom should be 50-70mm thick, i'll check when i get down to the boat. I'm not sure if any other ribeye 785s owners have any suggestions on which hole to use, might save me a bit of messing around. Thanks again.
Old 17 July 2017, 07:38   #4

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
This is my way of setting height and pic of yam I fitted few months ago bloody filthy already Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1500277073.496960.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	120776Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1500277132.646741.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	120777
Old 17 July 2017, 07:46   #5

transom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent View Post
This is my way of setting height and pic of yam I fitted few months ago bloody filthy already Attachment 120776Attachment 120777
cheers, i thought i would start at 1 inch above and hope that will be it! Big lump to be taking on and off.
Old 17 July 2017, 20:13   #6

Town: New York City
Boat name: SR6M
Make: Avon
Engine: Honda 130
MMSI: 338232981
RIBase
Ditto. I inch above. I put mine on par with bottom (as is usually recommended) and it was spraying all over. Raised it one unit up - roughly an inch - and it was fine.
Old 17 July 2017, 20:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gynner View Post
Ditto. I inch above. I put mine on par with bottom (as is usually recommended) and it was spraying all over. Raised it one unit up - roughly an inch - and it was fine.
cheers

Tags
rib