Old 25 June 2013, 21:01   #21

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw View Post
Yes, As an expert, I have been praising Ribeyes on this forum for many years. It is most gratifying to see how many people have listened, taken my advice and bought them.
OMG!!!! I'm worried...first I agree with Timw (and others)about ribeye being good boats.

Second..Don't worry Timw don't get carried away and think anyone listens to 'your advice' thinking you're an 'expert'.......feeding compete.
Old 25 June 2013, 22:01   #22

Town: London/Devon
Make: Linley Swan /Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
Ian . I really like it. Tbh Ribeye do need to be lifted up a bit and too be taken more seriously than they currently do. But i think they should have privateers which would be more refreshing rather than sponsored/connected same old same old double barrelled......look at me scenario!!
Wouldn't it be more beneficial and less biased and boring to get someone like biffer or Nos with more street cred to helm it and give an honest and again non linked unbiased opinion!
Thanks for your comment. In all honesty I have nothing to do with the magazine if this is what you are referring too.

I work as a marine consultant in the superyacht and commercial sectors, I looked at the powerboat and rib challenge and at first didn't want to enter as I am focused on our work and bigger craft, then one thing led to another I entered (as a fully paid entry)

I then looked at my options of craft, not for a freebee of what partnerships we can do, but what I believed would be the best boat/equipment for the job.

I have worked with Shockwave and they have a great set up, I knew if I were to do the event I would want shock mitigation and I believe they represent a great fresh look at seating- and above all else it works, hence the investment! I bought the seat two months ago and it was shipped 2 days after!

Next I chose Ribeye due to a number of reasons, I really like the 6m hull, I didn't want to go to big and knew the hull if set up right could make a good offshore boat. I then looked at its design and what I would needed to modify for the seat and the offshore conditions, again Ribeye were great as they were flexible and thought outside the box, allowing me a lot of time with their workshop guys to get the design right before building.

The boat is totally unique and will be used in my company for many purposes this year, the Mazda connection is a simple one, they are a partner of ours, we are using the event to promote their new tow vehicle, thus we are testing it out on the trip as our land support.

At the end of the year I will look to sell her, as next year I have to focus on other projects and would like to release the investment made into the Ribeye. Will be a real shame as she's a very fun boat to own.

She performs well and the shockwave seat and set up of the boat works a treat, if anyone would like a spin in her to try the seat for themselves, they are more than welcome to contact me for a run.

Best
Tom
Old 25 June 2013, 22:04   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Great unless you flip the boat? I know its rare to flip a rib but it does happen and the last place I'd want to be is strapped to the seat...
The lap belts are fitted so that you move in conjunction with the seat as it floats from the deck. Personally I don't run with them that often as I am not sure about belts on an open boat at speed, but when in the really rough stuff, it does secure you to the moving seat and console.

They are on a quick release flight style belt.
Old 26 June 2013, 05:44   #24
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Ian . I really like it. Tbh Ribeye do need to be lifted up a bit and too be taken more seriously than they currently do. But i think they should have privateers which would be more refreshing rather than sponsored/connected same old same old double barrelled......look at me scenario!!
Wouldn't it be more beneficial and less biased and boring to get someone like biffer or Nos with more street cred to helm it and give an honest and again non linked unbiased opinion!
Ok so "privateers" should be the only listened to group who use boats for leisure seperate to others who skipper boats for thousands of nautical miles and almost daily and have used many boats over the years. I accept my choice is Ribeye for my business. Many of us using these boats commercially have tested them in all conditions ( force 8 last week as an example) and have seen thousands of hrs put on the engines. I am not sponsored by them, I pay my hard earned cash to keep my business afloat using their boats and I looked at many other products when going to an 8.5metre boat, so guess I am connected here as outlined. I have raised points before and on each time I have been listened to and the matters changed/ fixed by Ribeye including the latest development of the 850s which is now proving to be a sound buy for the business

Whilst out with an independant boat tester in recent weeks this person stated they would have the Ribeye 600 over the 650 ( totally different hulls) as they too had tested them in all conditions. We have also been involved in tests where armstrong brackets were fitted to a 650 and 785 and the tested- tried to see if they were poor into, with and broadside to waves, scared me but the boats stayed perfectly seated.

I know Biff who has done some great work for me on Ribtecs( also now a Ribeye product) and if memory serves me was involved in building these quite a few years ago and does know the business much better than me.

I am not sure where you get the "taken more seriously than they currently do". That appears to be only on this forum as they sell boats worldwide and have a great reputation ( including super yacht tenders). I accept what is good for one user may not suit another but the constant "slagging" of a fantastic product and business is disheartening and as I said in my earlier biting- the people behind the scenes work very hard to make their business successful and it is a shame we see so much against them. It seems to be what we do in the UK if someone / thing is successful we try to knock them down

Last words from me now on this subject
Old 26 June 2013, 06:12   #25

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Ok so "privateers" should be the only listened to group who use boats for leisure seperate to others who skipper boats for thousands of nautical miles and almost daily and have used many boats over the years. I accept my choice is Ribeye for my business. Many of us using these boats commercially have tested them in all conditions ( force 8 last week as an example) and have seen thousands of hrs put on the engines. I am not sponsored by them, I pay my hard earned cash to keep my business afloat using their boats and I looked at many other products when going to an 8.5metre boat, so guess I am connected here as outlined. I have raised points before and on each time I have been listened to and the matters changed/ fixed by Ribeye including the latest development of the 850s which is now proving to be a sound buy for the business

Whilst out with an independant boat tester in recent weeks this person stated they would have the Ribeye 600 over the 650 ( totally different hulls) as they too had tested them in all conditions. We have also been involved in tests where armstrong brackets were fitted to a 650 and 785 and the tested- tried to see if they were poor into, with and broadside to waves, scared me but the boats stayed perfectly seated.

I know Biff who has done some great work for me on Ribtecs( also now a Ribeye product) and if memory serves me was involved in building these quite a few years ago and does know the business much better than me.

I am not sure where you get the "taken more seriously than they currently do". That appears to be only on this forum as they sell boats worldwide and have a great reputation ( including super yacht tenders). I accept what is good for one user may not suit another but the constant "slagging" of a fantastic product and business is disheartening and as I said in my earlier biting- the people behind the scenes work very hard to make their business successful and it is a shame we see so much against them. It seems to be what we do in the UK if someone / thing is successful we try to knock them down

well said Ian, nowt wrong with a well informed personal opinion, after all this is a forum not a court room, we can all have an opinion, and I agree that ribeye do seem to offer a good commercial package, I know of one business that has just traded in the"old" Ribeyes for new ones, so that says a lot foe the quality and overall package
Old 26 June 2013, 06:26   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post

well said Ian, nowt wrong with a well informed personal opinion, after all this is a forum not a court room, we can all have an opinion, and I agree that ribeye do seem to offer a good commercial package, I know of one business that has just traded in the"old" Ribeyes for new ones, so that says a lot foe the quality and overall package
:thumbs
Old 26 June 2013, 06:35   #27

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Well said Ian
The Ribeye bashing gets so boring on here (tall poppy syndrome!)
I have had an Osprey Viper in the past which is a brand some think is the best thing since sliced bread and I did look at getting anther but it did not come as such a good all round package well laid out and ticking all the boxes I wanted!
Ribquest do now make a good alternative but I at the time could remember the shocking quality of them when they where first launched they had a terrible build quality but they are now making a great product by all account.
Been very pleased with my choice great little rib just the right size for what I wanted as I can only manage 6m on the drive.

Quote:

Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2013, 06:56   #28

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
Well said Ian
The Ribeye bashing gets so boring on here (tall poppy syndrome!)
I have had an Osprey Viper in the past which is a brand some think is the best thing since sliced bread and I did look at getting anther but it did not come as such a good all round package well laid out and ticking all the boxes I wanted!
Ribquest do now make a good alternative but I at the time could remember the shocking quality of them when they where first launched they had a terrible build quality but they are now making a great product by all account.
Been very pleased with my choice great little rib just the right size for what I wanted as I can only manage 6m on the drive.
to be honest, I think the bashing of any rib is a touch boring, there's a rib for everyone out there somewhere, and somewhere someone will think any rib is just what they wanted, it's all down to personnel taste
Old 26 June 2013, 07:24   #29

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
C2 ...I have neither stated or implied Ribeye are.. this is not a Ribeye bashing atall,I have never disliked them at all. I think they are well built Ribs and really do like the look of the 550 and i would not have had a quote for one if i disliked them or were inferior.. I mean what other 5meter Rib has good seating for 6?? etc the problem i have is the same old people doing the Big I Am.
Its a touch boring. And what i mean reference connected is, Hugo Swan Monty... Magazine....face in every picture....Tom swan Linley...Magazine....Hugo Swan......take a picture of me....Tom Linley Swan......I this .... I that..

I dont think you are the best ambassador for a good Product you are pluggin TBH.

Quote:
Thanks for your comment. In all honesty I have nothing to do with the magazine if this is what you are referring too.
Must have been your Twin Brother driving the Ribquest 4.9 ...another round the Island contender then so i got told!
Blimey are you testing every boat out there Mr Linley.
Mr Linley, we all know your in a privileged position but tone it down old boy. I commissioned this..... I work as this......me me me...
Old 26 June 2013, 08:16   #30

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
We all have our faults, just like Ribs, but usually we are all liked by someone.

Regarding HMS and Tom (the latter I know not so much of), but people's actions can be interpreted in different ways.

Whether or not they do things for their own ego, if that's what you're inferring, I like the fact they produce a good magazine and post interesting builds/pics on here respectively. Who else is doing it or building such an innovative boat.

If they didn't I think the site would be far less interesting and their would be no magazine for a whole load of readers and British trades to advertise in.

I for one support their actions and posts, however can make no judgement on their motives or personalities, but don't care if they're not hurting anyone or actively putting others out of business.
Old 26 June 2013, 08:43   #31

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Blimey, the bloke only said that he liked the seats. I know it's been a "supermoon" this week, but calm down girls.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2013, 09:28   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
We all have our faults, just like Ribs, but usually we are all liked by someone.

Regarding HMS and Tom (the latter I know not so much of), but people's actions can be interpreted in different ways.

Whether or not they do things for their own ego, if that's what you're inferring, I like the fact they produce a good magazine and post interesting builds/pics on here respectively. Who else is doing it or building such an innovative boat.

If they didn't I think the site would be far less interesting and their would be no magazine for a whole load of readers and British trades to advertise in.

I for one support their actions and posts, however can make no judgement on their motives or personalities, but don't care if they're not hurting anyone or actively putting others out of business.
Thank you for your comment. My passion and drive is to build an interesting craft and enjoy the trip, not inflate my EGO have some commented.

There has to be a degree of PR and marketing as there are partners involved, the same with any sport or expedition. My motive for posting here though is to highlight a completely different boat and share my passion for RIBs. In addition offer anyone who would like a go on the seat or boat to come for a spin.
Old 26 June 2013, 10:19   #33

Town: Wickford, Essex
Boat name: Wanderer
Make: Ribeye, Zodiac FR
Engine: Yamaha F300, 25 2S
MMSI: 235095667
Quote:

+1 Totally agree
Old 26 June 2013, 10:30   #34
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
hmm...as there 'has to be partners involved' as Tom said...
and as a Round Ireland entrant, I am curious as to what the benefit of these major partners is to those competing.
I am genuinely excited to be taking part, and appreciate all the PR mechanisms that have to run alongside this event, however, it represents a substantial outlay on my own part, and I have had no sponsor/financial assistance, or even the offer of any as an entrant, other than some some small discounts offered by the challenge for kit I already have. Those more connected into our hobby as a business will of course be in a better position to be supported by contacts in the industry, I accept that, but I would also hope that the effort required to get the boats to the start point is not lost in a surge of sponsor flag waving, concentrating on people whose entries/boats are heavily subsidized. It wont stop my enjoyment of the event, but there has to be a balance struck before you set off, to encourage the event bonding that the organizers seem keen on promoting.
I read all that Tom and Matt H have written on the thread.
This isn't sour grapes, more power to those who can get their hobby funded and subsidized by others, its just not a reality for the majority of us, so its understandable if there is a level of 'fatigue' at hearing and seeing it.
and ...if anyone wants to drop a 10K cheque into my hands......I will make sure it goes straight to my justgiving account.
Old 26 June 2013, 10:39   #35
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
and apologies for steering this thread off topic!
its a great looking boat Tom. I have 'suspension seat anxiety' now!
Old 26 June 2013, 11:21   #36
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
But i think they should have privateers which would be more refreshing rather than sponsored/connected same old same old double barrelled......look at me scenario!!
Presumably matt your line of business is not marketing / PR / sponsorship? I'm not sure I'd pick a self confessed Mr Grumpy (who would have insisted on a kettle on board) or a truck driver with an interest in fixing old ribs to get me maximum PR coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Great unless you flip the boat? I know its rare to flip a rib but it does happen and the last place I'd want to be is strapped to the seat...
You need to balance the very rare occurrence (and the potential consequences) against the more likely face plant the console or chucked out situation.

Quote:
the problem i have is the same old people doing the Big I Am.
Its a touch boring. And what i mean reference connected is, Hugo Swan Monty... Magazine....face in every picture....Tom swan Linley...Magazine....Hugo Swan......take a picture of me....Tom Linley Swan......I this .... I that..

Mr Linley, we all know your in a privileged position but tone it down old boy. I commissioned this..... I work as this......me me me...
matt - you sound like a jealous school boy. if these guys are good at self promotion that is WHY they are popular with the kit suppliers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLinley View Post
There has to be a degree of PR and marketing as there are partners involved, the same with any sport or expedition.
Tom, you are clearly not that privileged if you have to get others to pay for your fun! I do wonder thought whether when it was first suggested that you might take a bunch of ribs round ireland for fun whether it was intended to be a 'corporate' event or more of a long cruise in company...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustRib View Post
hmm...as there 'has to be partners involved' as ...so its understandable if there is a level of 'fatigue' at hearing and seeing it.
and ...
I usually tire early of this stuff. I've not renewed my subscription to the mag - so maybe that's where I am missing it - but I've not seen excessive plugging of their psuedo-commercial venture here.
Old 26 June 2013, 12:07   #37

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
We went & had a good look around the works in Dartmouth back in 2010 where they rig the boats before the go out. Was very impressive & they could have not been more helpful
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01062010047.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	82011   Click image for larger version

Name:	01062010049.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	82012   Click image for larger version

Name:	01062010050.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	82013  
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2013, 12:19   #38

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
to be honest, I think the bashing of any rib is a touch boring.
Really? I'd call it a bit of forum banter. You know how it goes, hatches fly out of Ribcraft, transoms fall off of Ospreys, the marque is ruined 'coz Willk had one, Ribeye are s***e. etc. etc. etc

Oddly, it's only the Ribeye owners who get a bit tetchy.
Old 26 June 2013, 12:29   #39
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Oi, the builder is no longer with us and therefore unable to defend himself. So, on RB's behalf i'll step in. Shut the feck up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSPREY RIBS View Post
Exactly ! I would hope the admin (especially the sage willk) would not base their opinions upon the sweeping statements of a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Oddly, it's only the Ribeye owners who get a bit tetchy.
You appear to be conversing from your posterior Mollers
Old 26 June 2013, 12:35   #40

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
You appear to be conversing from your posterior Mollers
No, you're confusing the issue. The defending of Roy Bishop was regarding his fit out of an Osprey hull and delivered in jest. Nothing to do with Osprey products.

You're better than that.